Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
Oct 24, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,696 of 2,940
Thanks mate! As a headphone newbie, I'm enjoying the heck out of my Meze trio :gs1000smile:

Started with Empy and Elite, returned Empy, picked up 109Pro, missed Empy... As they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and October's Empy sale + free premium upgrade was the sign that I needed to be reuinited, LOL. :L3000:
Yeah Mezes are truly magical.
I own all except for the 99s

Already looking forward to New releases in the coming years

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,697 of 2,940
have run in some problems with N30.

I am stuck at the "never be the same again" screen

Device was off, have plugged USB charger to charge it and boot loader menu popped up.

I think i selected the wrong bootloader and now i am stuck at the above mentioned screen.

Have tried to press hold power + rew button but it cycles trough to the same screen.

Has anyone a clue how to exit the "never be the same again" screen?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,698 of 2,940
Solved!

Edit:
1. Unplug device from USB charger.
2. press rew a and then power and hold buttons till display shuts down and then release buttons
3. Press ffw and then power and hold buttons till brocken android appears on display
4. Press rew and then power and hold buttons, system should now boot up properly.

Cayn N30LE bootloader recovery mode never be the same again

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #1,699 of 2,940
Announcement of N30LE Firmware v1.2

1698203714707.png

New Functions and System Optimisation
  1. Fix the bug where Class A and P+ output mode cannot be adjusted simultaneously in the Audio Settings menu.
  2. Fix the bug where adjusting the volume during screen-off, then turning on the screen, and adjusting the volume on the lock screen, N30LE will revert the volume to the previous screen-off volume.
  3. Enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.
  4. Other bug fixes and optimisations.

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N30LE as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website, https://en.cayin.cn/

Attention
  • Please make sure the DAP has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your DAP has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N30LE to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  3. Press “check version”, the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects a new firmware. The N30LE operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin's official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N30LE_XXXX.zip which is used for the N30LE firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N30LE internal memory or the root directory of the TF card, and insert the TF card into N30LE before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 24, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #1,701 of 2,940
Yaayy 🥳
New FW update at last. I hope this one goes smoothly and the spazzing charging indicator can finally gone 🤞

Sorry, we are still working on the charging indicator issue, this is one of the strangest software bugs we have encountered so far.

The charging indicator or N30LE is not a new feature, it was introduced in N7 and we copy the circuit and software control to N30LE almost exactly. The only difference is the LED light for obvious reasons. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we have tweaked the control parameter, but it will, one way or the other, introduce some strange behavior later. We are still working on it, maybe we need to adopt a different flashing color/arrangement eventually, but yes, we want to get rid of this "spazzing" light effect too. :sweat_smile:

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,702 of 2,940
Sorry, we are still working on the charging indicator issue, this is one of the strangest software bugs we have encountered so far.

The charging indicator or N30LE is not a new feature, it was introduced in N7 and we copy the circuit and software control to N30LE almost exactly. The only difference is the LED light for obvious reasons. Anyway, to cut a long story short, we have tweaked the control parameter, but it will, one way or the other, introduce some strange behavior later. We are still working on it, maybe we need to adopt a different flashing color/arrangement eventually, but yes, we want to get rid of this "spazzing" light effect too. :sweat_smile:
Ooff what a bummer 😂
It's okay it's just a minor problem. What I need for now is faster apps loading time because I feel it a little bit sluggish. When I press the apps icon on N8ii (UAPP pro, Cayin player, Hiby player) the UI loads faster than on the N30LE. On N30LE when I press the icon usually I have to wait for 2 or 3 seconds looking at a black screen before the UI appears. Sometimes I experience forced close too when using UAPP pro and I have to wait for a moment before I can launch the apps again. It never happens before on N8ii.

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,703 of 2,940
To follow foofighters question.
I’m interested in some experiences with the Meze Elite, ZMF VC and also with the Ronin, Phöinx OG and Trifecta.
May be, there are some first experiences out there. …
I auditioned the N30LE last week, mostly with the Elite. It was VERY convincing.

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #1,704 of 2,940
Announcement of N30LE Firmware v1.2

1698203714707.png

New Functions and System Optimisation
  1. Fix the bug where Class A and P+ output mode cannot be adjusted simultaneously in the Audio Settings menu.
  2. Fix the bug where adjusting the volume during screen-off, then turning on the screen, and adjusting the volume on the lock screen, N30LE will revert the volume to the previous screen-off volume.
  3. Enhance third-party application support to playback Tidal MAX content properly.
  4. Other bug fixes and optimisations.

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N30LE as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center of our official website, https://en.cayin.cn/

Attention
  • Please make sure the DAP has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your DAP has more than 1GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N30LE to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  3. Press “check version”, the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects a new firmware. The N30LE operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin's official website (en.cayin.cn), you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N30LE_XXXX.zip which is used for the N30LE firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of N30LE internal memory or the root directory of the TF card, and insert the TF card into N30LE before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “System Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will start installing the new firmware.

New firmware is top notch sound-wise!

I criticized the last FW 1.1 for having messed up the sonic performance, because N30 was only enjoyable only in Hyper + Tube mode for me.

Now, with the new FW i am enjoying the shiiit out of N30 in AB & P mode. AB is sufficient to dive deep into the abyss of music enjoyment.

Huge sonic improvement for me. The time domain short comings that were criticized by one user are fixed now.

Thanks Andy!

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,705 of 2,940
New firmware is top notch sound-wise!

I criticized the last FW 1.1 for having messed up the sonic performance, because N30 was only enjoyable only in Hyper + Tube mode for me.

Now, with the new FW i am enjoying the shiiit out of N30 in AB & P mode. AB is sufficient to dive deep into the abyss of music enjoyment.

Huge sonic improvement for me. The time domain short comings that were criticized by one user are fixed now.

Thanks Andy!
I don't think that the sonic differences between Firmwares are so big to be noticeable.

Cayin is very focused on having their devices sound signature not change between Updates.
So that a review on release remains valid years later.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #1,706 of 2,940
I don't think that the sonic differences between Firmwares are so big to be noticeable.

Cayin is very focused on having their devices sound signature not change between Updates.
Sonic signature is still the same, but time domain issues are now fixed. Reverbs and decay are now on an other level.

Oct 25, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #1,707 of 2,940

Yes, Cayin tries to maintain the sound signature and audio performance of our product over the complete life cycle. We have received numerous requests to offer sound enhancement or shaping through software updates, but we have stuck to our practice since day 1 we ventured into the DAP business.

Having said that, firmware v1.2 improved the third-party support of N30LE, so I am not totally surprised that there are minor improvements in audio performance from third-party applications. In short, some of the third-party playback are enhanced in v1.2 but the local playback should be unchanged.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #1,709 of 2,940
I’m really fascinated now. For a week I was listening N30 exclusively and last night I fired up SP3k. There is noticeable difference. Before, they both were in ballpark with AK being more holographic and Cayin be more dynamic but overall similar experience. Now they sound noticeably different. Not necessarily better or worse per se. I’m scratching my head . Is it my brain get accustomed so much to Cayin or burn in keeps changing sound so much.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #1,710 of 2,940
I’m really fascinated now. For a week I was listening N30 exclusively and last night I fired up SP3k. There is noticeable difference. Before, they both were in ballpark with AK being more holographic and Cayin be more dynamic but overall similar experience. Now they sound noticeably different. Not necessarily better or worse per se. I’m scratching my head . Is it my brain get accustomed so much to Cayin or burn in keeps changing sound so much.
Had quite the same experience when i was listening for weeks exclusively to N30 and changed back to DX314.

The FW 1.1 to which i updated in the meantime was crap and made the N30 worse.
After todays update to the newest FW, N30 is back in full glory.
Not only it sounds better as with 1.1 FW but it runs also cooler and battery life improved. Also dynamic abilities of N30 are restored now. I totally forgot in the meantime how shockingly dynamic N30 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back