Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 29, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #6,061 of 6,262
Hi all,

I'm having so much trouble connecting my N3 to my iPhone 7. It only connected once and that was a few weeks ago. I was able to try the HiBy Link... but now, nothing is working.

***EDIT***

okay so just now I was able to connect, but it's kinda odd how it happened. Instead of me connecting via Bluetooth by going into my phone's settings, I just went into the HiBy app and connected... and it actually worked. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #6,062 of 6,262
E3125330-8C99-4875-9085-978DAD949A96.jpeg
Pulled the trigger for Christmas. Listing to it now. Sounds pretty good.

Jan 1, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,063 of 6,262
I'm having an odd problem that seems to be getting progressively worse. I love my N3 and it sees very heavy use. About 6 months ago it randomly turned off while connected to my phone, when I turned it back on it was acting like it had a factory reset, I had to choose the language again and when I got back to the menus the color scheme had changed. I also discovered the Bluetooth no longer automatically connected to my devices when the N3 turns on, if there is a setting for this I can't find it. A few months later, it happened again and after it turned back on the menu color scheme had changed again, and the Bluetooth seemed to become more prone to interference and had a noticeably shorter range. The random power off has now happened for a third time, and since I turned it back on the Bluetooth is barely usable and completely unreliable. It has about a 6 inch range when it connects and is very prone to interference. Any ideas on what has gone wrong or how to fix it? I've previously tried updating the firmware, factory resetting it, all the obvious troubleshooting things.

Jan 2, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #6,064 of 6,262
I'm having an odd problem that seems to be getting progressively worse. I love my N3 and it sees very heavy use. About 6 months ago it randomly turned off while connected to my phone, when I turned it back on it was acting like it had a factory reset, I had to choose the language again and when I got back to the menus the color scheme had changed. I also discovered the Bluetooth no longer automatically connected to my devices when the N3 turns on, if there is a setting for this I can't find it. A few months later, it happened again and after it turned back on the menu color scheme had changed again, and the Bluetooth seemed to become more prone to interference and had a noticeably shorter range. The random power off has now happened for a third time, and since I turned it back on the Bluetooth is barely usable and completely unreliable. It has about a 6 inch range when it connects and is very prone to interference. Any ideas on what has gone wrong or how to fix it? I've previously tried updating the firmware, factory resetting it, all the obvious troubleshooting things.

Certainly sounds like it needs service? What do you think @CayinSupport?

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #6,065 of 6,262
I have some thoughts for the Cayin rep.

I primarily listen to 1-2 hour radio mixes in MP3 format. The N3 has problems seeking (fast forward / rewind) with some of these files. There is a long delay before playback resumes. I looked at the MP3s that are problematic with a few tools on my PC and noticed the commonality is they have the LAME header (part of MP3 spec). I was able to restore seeking functionality on the N3 by stripping the first few frames off these MP3s (thus removing the LAME header). I used "MP3 Repair Tool" So it seems like the N3 is having problems when some headers are present.

The MP3 files are not VBR, which is usually the cause of seeking problems.

I tried some other MP3 repair utilities that are supposed to repair MP3 headers but that had no effect. Removing the headers entirely was necessary. I tried MP3val and VBRFix.

So perhaps there is a bug with the N3's MP3 decode library?

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #6,067 of 6,262
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #6,068 of 6,262
Jan 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #6,069 of 6,262
Anyone having low volume (at 100% volume and on high gain) with Apple AirPods? I've tried everything, but the volume is barely audible. Any tips or ideas?

I use the unit with my mojo at the office and home but when I commute I use AirPods to attempt to listen but the volume is way too low to be usable. The EQ has no pre-amp so can't up the volume that way.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #6,070 of 6,262
Another noob question - I want to use this as a DAC for my MacBook. I changed the usb mode and plugged my N3 into the Mac... but idk what to do from this point. I had my headphones plugged into the N3 and pressed play for the song on the computer... what am I missing?

Jan 7, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #6,071 of 6,262
Another noob question - I want to use this as a DAC for my MacBook. I changed the usb mode and plugged my N3 into the Mac... but idk what to do from this point. I had my headphones plugged into the N3 and pressed play for the song on the computer... what am I missing?

I don't have my N3 with me to show you specifically for it, but the general process is the same plugging in any external DAC. Here's an example right after I plugged in my FiiO E17:

1. Go to System Preferences (you can reach it from the Apple Menu, although there are other ways as well):
Screenshot 2019-01-07 15.10.23.png

2. Choose the Sound preference pane:

Screenshot 2019-01-07 15.11.02.png

3. Select Output and change to the device you just plugged in. Note how it still on my Yulong U100 even though I plugged the FiiO E17 afterward, since I would need to explicitly select it in order to change output:

Screenshot 2019-01-07 15.11.57.png

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #6,072 of 6,262
I don't have my N3 with me to show you specifically for it, but the general process is the same plugging in any external DAC. Here's an example right after I plugged in my FiiO E17:

1. Go to System Preferences (you can reach it from the Apple Menu, although there are other ways as well):

2. Choose the Sound preference pane:

3. Select Output and change to the device you just plugged in. Note how it still on my Yulong U100 even though I plugged the FiiO E17 afterward, since I would need to explicitly select it in order to change output:

Thank you so much!!!

Jan 28, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #6,074 of 6,262
Hi everybody,

I'm a little dissapointed of the battery degradation that my N3 is suffering after just a little more than a year of use, I believe the battery lasts 30-40% less than when it was new, and even the standby consumption is affected considerably.

Since it has been a few months since it lost the 1 year warranty, does anybody know what kind of battery the N3 uses? to see if I can find a replacement online.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #6,075 of 6,262
Hi all,

I'm having so much trouble connecting my N3 to my iPhone 7. It only connected once and that was a few weeks ago. I was able to try the HiBy Link... but now, nothing is working.

***EDIT***

okay so just now I was able to connect, but it's kinda odd how it happened. Instead of me connecting via Bluetooth by going into my phone's settings, I just went into the HiBy app and connected... and it actually worked. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Before we go further, let's clarify the two distinctive Bluetooth related features of N3:

If you want to connect N3 to a mobile source (in this case, your iPhone7) through bluetooth, N3 is operated in Rx (receiver) mode. You can initialise the connection from the bluetooth setting of N3 or your mobile phone, the result is the same, so select whatever is more readily available. Once connected, whatever you plan in your mobile phone will go through the DAC and headphone of N3 and playback through the headphone connected to N3, but you can't browse the content of N3 or remote control N3 through this connection.

If you want to remote control your N3 from your mobile device (in this case, your iPhone7) via HiByLink, you must initialise the connection from the HiByMusic App in your mobile device. Once the HiByLink connection is established, you can browse through the music library your mobile phone will remote control the N3 playback and you can browse through the content of N3 on your mobile phone.

So you connect the N3 with HibyLink but you cannot engage the n3 in Rx mode, right?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back