Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #5,492 of 6,262
We have packed and will proceed to the Canjam Singapore 2018 early tomorrow morning, Cayin overseas front-line team will attend this event so we might not be answer any question till mid next week. Please pardon for the delay.
Have you stopped manufacturing the Cayin N3 now? I noticed all the online vendors seem to be running out of stock.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #5,493 of 6,262
probably done in batches rather than in continuous production so batch 2 may be about depleted and batch 3 hasn't shipped yet would be my guess. With the N5ii being recently introduced, it could be that an N3ii is coming as well although that is pure speculation on my part as nobody at Cayin has made comment that I have heard regarding an N3 v2.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #5,494 of 6,262
probably done in batches rather than in continuous production so batch 2 may be about depleted and batch 3 hasn't shipped yet would be my guess. With the N5ii being recently introduced, it could be that an N3ii is coming as well although that is pure speculation on my part as nobody at Cayin has made comment that I have heard regarding an N3 v2.
I have a yearning for a red one but no real reason to buy two of the same DAP so I'll hold off for a while I think :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #5,495 of 6,262
I have a yearning for a red one but no real reason to buy two of the same DAP so I'll hold off for a while I think :)

Love my red one:). Actually I had the cyan one first but it had a problem so I returned it and bought the red.

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #5,496 of 6,262
Hi,
I'm from India. I would like to buy a cayin n3 (black).ive I've noticed that I can get it for about 10k INR from AliExpress..which is about 2k less than the price in Amazon..but I'm not sure if it is from a certified seller.Please let me know about the trusted online retailers in India. And if anyone here has purchased it from AliExpress,which seller did you get it from?

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #5,497 of 6,262
Using the N3 with the USB-C to Coax cable that costs $40, but is quite a nice cable and super strong. Baffled by how incredible this little guy works as a source. Dead silent, gapless playback works flawlessly, and the battery life in this mode is incredible, I can probably use it for a week at my desk on a single charge. Highly recommend the player and cable to anyone looking for a digital source. There's no way you can beat the price.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #5,498 of 6,262
Using the N3 with the USB-C to Coax cable that costs $40, but is quite a nice cable and super strong. Baffled by how incredible this little guy works as a source. Dead silent, gapless playback works flawlessly, and the battery life in this mode is incredible, I can probably use it for a week at my desk on a single charge. Highly recommend the player and cable to anyone looking for a digital source. There's no way you can beat the price.
Just curious, not trying to be smart about it, but isn't that using it as a transport only? Using it as a source would mean using analog out instead of digital out? But yeah, great battery life that way, I use the N3 like that a lot.

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #5,500 of 6,262
Also curious, is using it with a USB-C to USB (and into a headphone amp, for example) the same as using it with the USB-C to Coax cable? Does it output the same digital only signal in this configuration?
Just double checked to confirm, but this works:
Untitled.jpg

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #5,502 of 6,262
Thanks - I know it works as I get sound from it, but is there any difference between this and USB-C > Coax in terms of he signal output/received?
Sorry, I misunderstood. But I can't see how this could be a different signal, it's the same digital signal coming from the DAC. Maybe jitter comes into play, but I'm not a believer in the audible significance, if any. Others may have a different opinion on this though. No doubt that as with anything, it depends on implementation.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #5,503 of 6,262
Hi, right now im using my n3 as transport to oppo ha2se using usb output on n3. But when I change the equalizer in the n3 the sound output on the ha2se also changed.

I believe when using n3 as a transport the n3 will only transmit digital signal so the convertion and amplification will be done by ha2se. So if I can change the analog ouput in ha2se by changing the equalizer in n3, does this mean the signal went through n3 amplification and not bypassed to external dac/amp like ha2se?

CMIIW.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #5,504 of 6,262
use mine as a source to mojo now and again with cayins usb c to coax, it is a great source indeed.
I tried the shanling usb c to micro usb silver cable on the n3 with mojo and wow it's good! I actually Think it might be better than the cayin coax cable but would have to do more a/b testing to confirm my opinion which I haven't had time to do.
You can't control volume with source with it though only volume adjustment on mojo.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #5,505 of 6,262
Hi, right now im using my n3 as transport to oppo ha2se using usb output on n3. But when I change the equalizer in the n3 the sound output on the ha2se also changed.

I believe when using n3 as a transport the n3 will only transmit digital signal so the convertion and amplification will be done by ha2se. So if I can change the analog ouput in ha2se by changing the equalizer in n3, does this mean the signal went through n3 amplification and not bypassed to external dac/amp like ha2se?

CMIIW.
I don't think it goes through the amp when you are connected digitally (either USB or coax). I don't use the equalizer on the N3 but I assume it works digitally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back