Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 12, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5,461 of 6,262
Thanks for the repy!
The folder view is certainly a workaround, could also be used to manually create "Genre-Folders" and the dig deeper.

But what I really want is to use the Genre information from my iTunes library as a first level filter, and only then dig down by artist, album and song.
I am realizing that it sounds easier than it is, but the challenge is that when I have 500 CDs on the SD card, it becomes quite diffcult to manage without a clever filtering method...
I'll think about it a little more how it could really work and post it as a wish for future firmware or HiBy App features,
I think I'd just put them in artist folders like A-G, H-L, M-R and S-Z if I had so many albums on a card that it took me too long to scroll through them all in one folder. I'd find it harder to remember what genre I'd classified the artist as if I wanted to find a particular one.

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #5,462 of 6,262
I am about to get a 256GB microSD card and was wondering how everyone is handling the navigation.
Drill down by artist-album-song is OK, but the Genre only gives a list of song titles, which is utterly useless even with a relatively small number of songs, let alone with 500CDs on a 256GB card.

Which ways are you using to navigate a big library?

By folder. I've always used folders. My music files are tagged haphazardly because they come from a variety of sources, including many from my CDs and vinyl. By the time I learned about tagging I already had enough files that I didn't really want to go to the work of regularizing the tags. Since tags can contain anything, there's no reason that you can't have something like Sulfuric Acid or X4!&dlkjf in the genre tag. Old programmer's rule: If people are allowed to put anything they want in a field they will. <g>

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #5,463 of 6,262
I think I'd just put them in artist folders like A-G, H-L, M-R and S-Z if I had so many albums on a card that it took me too long to scroll through them all in one folder. I'd find it harder to remember what genre I'd classified the artist as if I wanted to find a particular one.

I have genre folders that contain artist folders. Works for me. I have 50K or so music files on my NAS and manage to navigate without much difficulty. There are a couple of genres I should probably subdivide when I get inspired.

Mar 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #5,464 of 6,262
Never mind....it appears they already sent it back to me....they just didn't bother to tell me so I missed the postman. Oh well, I can pick it up tomorrow from the post office in town. Not sure if they've repaired or replaced it. Thank you for your help anyway. Hopefully I won't have any more problems.

Ok. You are welcome. If you have any problems regarding N3, please feel free to let me know again. I hope that you can enjoy the music with our N3!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #5,465 of 6,262
Ok. You are welcome. If you have any problems regarding N3, please feel free to let me know again. I hope that you can enjoy the music with our N3!
I'm afraid I do still have a problem. I just picked the package up from the post office and I have what looks like a brand new N3 as a replacement, which is nice, but again, it has been sent to me with the battery at 0%. I'm not sure whether you sent your Thai distributor a whole batch of N3s with flat batteries or whether they are just remarkably incompetent but I am not at all happy with the situation. If this is another unit with a battery that has been sitting around at 0% for weeks or months, its performance will already have deteriorated. I've ordered a fair amount of electronic devices with rechargeable batteries over the last few years and these two Cayin N3s are the only devices that have arrived with a completely flat battery. It's common knowledge that they shouldn't be stored empty so either this one has a problem too, and has drained whilst the unit was turned off, or you are not following standard industry practices.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the new unit when I turned it on after opening the package:

29103956_348338498986849_8019797139657850880_o.jpg

I'm sorry if I sound quite angry but this is classic behaviour for vendors in Thailand and now if I ask them to send me another replacement, I won't be able to trust them. If they have another unit with a battery at 0%, they will just charge it to 40% and send it to me, and I will be none the wiser (In fact, they might already have done that for all I know....it had 4 days to discharge to 0% before I opened it and turned it on today).

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #5,466 of 6,262
You are right, new batteries come with a charge of about 50-75% from the factory, and for maximum lifetime they should be operated between 20% and 90% charging state, and should ideally be kept between 10-30°C.
I work in automotive future technologies and the industry learned a lot about battery technologies. We are talking about battery lifetime of 500.000 to 1.000.000 km now, AFTER the industry learned that it's crucial to keep the battery within that temperature also during storage. This was really a learning effect over the past years, and now electric cars have heating and cooling active all the time to keep batteries in that temperature range, also when parking.

A single full discharge at low current should not have any measurable impact on lifetime or capacity.
I'd fully charge it, then connect some headphones and set it shuffle and let it play.
After 10 hours it should be around 20% +/-, then you know you are ok.

As a nice side-effect you are burning in the player :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #5,467 of 6,262
You are right, new batteries come with a charge of about 50-75% from the factory, and for maximum lifetime they should be operated between 20% and 90% charging state, and should ideally be kept between 10-30°C.
I work in automotive future technologies and the industry learned a lot about battery technologies. We are talking about battery lifetime of 500.000 to 1.000.000 km now, AFTER the industry learned that it's crucial to keep the battery within that temperature also during storage. This was really a learning effect over the past years, and now electric cars have heating and cooling active all the time to keep batteries in that temperature range, also when parking.

A single full discharge at low current should not have any measurable impact on lifetime or capacity.
I'd fully charge it, then connect some headphones and set it shuffle and let it play.
After 10 hours it should be around 20% +/-, then you know you are ok.

As a nice side-effect you are burning in the player :)
Thanks, I will give it a try but it's not the play time that was the issue before, it was the fact it drained from 100% to 0% in about 5-6 days when I left it turned off. I understand that a single full discharge won't have much effect on the battery's lifetime or capacity but I am wondering what effect it might have if the battery has been stored at 0% for nearly a year, for example? Also, there must be a reason why it has arrived in this condition and I can only think of two possibilities: 1. Cayin ships some of their products with fully discharged batteries, which I think is unlikely, or 2. The battery cannot hold a charge and has therefore fully discharged like the battery in my previous unit, while the N3 was turned off, which I think is much more likely.

Hopefully I am wrong but for both units to turn up with the batteries at 0%, sent from the same supplier, is a little odd to my mind.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #5,468 of 6,262
That is odd indeed. I was actually thinking of 2 possibilities - someone checking if the device is working and putting it into the package without turning it off, or, since the foam package is quite tight, that MAYBE squeezing the N3 into the foam cutout might actually switch it on...
Anyways, if the battery really drains while the DAP is switched off you certainly have to send it back again, which is super annoying.

Wish you good luck that it's actually OK, because it's a nice little player and so versatile!
Enjoying mine a lot.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #5,469 of 6,262
That is odd indeed. I was actually thinking of 2 possibilities - someone checking if the device is working and putting it into the package without turning it off, or, since the foam package is quite tight, that MAYBE squeezing the N3 into the foam cutout might actually switch it on...
Anyways, if the battery really drains while the DAP is switched off you certainly have to send it back again, which is super annoying.

Wish you good luck that it's actually OK, because it's a nice little player and so versatile!
Enjoying mine a lot.
Thanks again. I charged it to 100% and now I'm running it back down again. Once it reaches near 0% I'll give it another full charge and turn it off for a few days to see what happens. It's about the most boring thing I can think of doing with a new player (which is one of the reasons it took me so long to return it in the first place - I tried to convince myself there wasn't really a problem but I knew there was) but I'll have to do it and hope for the best.

I didn't think about someone testing it and accidentally leaving it on or the sides being too tight and squeezing the on button in transit but it seems too much of a coincidence that almost everybody else on this thread has received their N3s with a half-charged battery and I have received 2 from the same seller with no charge at all. If Cayin are still following this thread, I would much rather wait for them to send me a new one from China than to have to keep returning mine to the Thai distributor and getting defective replacements (or have them put a new battery in one I send to them). I will have to pay the EMS postage costs again if this one needs to go back to the Thai distributor and waste more time driving into town and going to the main post office to send it....and there's no guarantee my problems will end there if I get another unit from the same batch again.

I know I should have sorted this out months ago but I have to admit I just wanted to enjoy the player and ignore the battery issues....

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #5,470 of 6,262
So in my case since I'm planning to use the N3 at home to stream directly from an external HDD (control via the Android app no computer in play) does that mean that the popping issue won't affect me...?
Can someone please chime in on this? I´m thinking of getting the N3 to use for streaming music from external HDD to my home Hifi (as DAC, no PC) - This popping issue that everyones on about, would this still affect me?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #5,471 of 6,262
Can someone please chime in on this? I´m thinking of getting the N3 to use for streaming music from external HDD to my home Hifi (as DAC, no PC) - This popping issue that everyones on about, would this still affect me?

I just compared direct operation of the N3 with remote control through HiBy Link App.
There's a slight popping noise with my headphones (B&O H6) when changing tracks in both cases.
It's noticeable, but not intrusive for me.
I also tested whether the noise scales with volume, and it does not.
The popping is always the same volume, independent from gain setting or volume setting.
In other words, with the volume at 100%, as it is set in Line Out mode, the popping noise should have the least audible.

When I get a cable I'll try with my stereo, but that may take a while.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #5,472 of 6,262
Thanks for trying that out - so this popping noise is something you´d have to live with?
People kept mentioning that its a driver issue so I thought it only appeared when connecting via a computer (windows driver...) but I guess this is something internal
Is there hope that this might get resolved with a firmware update?
And lastly, the popping is only when manually switching tracks? Or even if you let the tracks run thru and change by themselves?

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #5,473 of 6,262
Yes, I think that's something you have to live with.
It seems to be hardware/firmware related and I guess there is a reason for it.
I tried gapless and list play, and even then I can hear this faint pop between tracks.
It sounds like switching the amplifier circuit on, but once again, it's very faint and I think if the background were not as silent as it is, I would maybe not hear it at all.
For me personally it's no issue at all.

Interesting... Just as I wrote this, the N3 switched to a new CD, and I can't hear any pops on that. Scratching my head now.
Both recordings are ripped in Apple Lossless, 16 bit 44kHz. No popping.... Totally quiet. No idea what's going on.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #5,474 of 6,262
Thats weird. I wonder if providing the Cayin Engineers with a copy of the CD youre listening to (or the ripping details) might help them narrow down the issue
I´m guessing that theyre working on resolving the issue no...?
Based on what you say, if the popping is not that distracting, I think I´ll take the plunge. I was looking for a portable player that is capable of playing back from an external HDD and I havent been able to find any others - thats the feature that I want to exploit the most

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #5,475 of 6,262
I have one theory...
Possibly there are CDs with gaps in between the tracks and others without.
That would make sense that the N3 switches off the output amplifier whenever it gets no signal, so even in between tracks if there's a gap on the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back