Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #5,357 of 6,262
Use the latest custom firmware instead.

The new firmware cured the odd behavior. Not sure the wife is going to appreciate the sexy theme but the warm and cool give her other options.

Feb 28, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #5,358 of 6,262
Been testing the n3 using hiby link since this morning, normal operation/usage , changing albums, volume, and pausing when needed for approx 4.5 hours and battery was still showing 66% pretty pleased with that was expecting it to have drained more.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #5,359 of 6,262
The new firmware cured the odd behavior. Not sure the wife is going to appreciate the sexy theme but the warm and cool give her other options.

Good. I don't care for the sexy theme...I find the picture on the main screen ugly. I do like the solid black background though...wish I could have that with a different picture...or no picture. The Cool is very nice. I use that.

Been testing the n3 using hiby link since this morning, normal operation/usage , changing albums, volume, and pausing when needed for approx 4.5 hours and battery was still showing 66% pretty pleased with that was expecting it to have drained more.

I don't use or need hiby, but I get a good 12 hours with normal use. Less if I use OTG.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #5,360 of 6,262
I pair the N3 with a Walnut F1 a good bit and the N3 will outlast the F1 by about double. I've gotten so I keep a pair of low impedance in-ears in my gear so I can use them when the Walnut runs dry and the bigger on-ears are no longer an option. Battery life on the N3 would be considered spectacular if the Nintaus x10 hadn't set the bar with runtimes measured in weeks. For other comparable players feature wise though, I think the N3 ranks right at the top of the pile for battery life. Maybe the Shanling models are close - I'll have them for the review tour shortly and so a side by side to see which one has the better battery. Maybe do a runtime test on all of them side by side looping the same song through the same headphones just to see. I have 3 pairs of Zs6 so could use those to make sure all else is equal.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #5,361 of 6,262
Glad it's working out for you. My wife helped me choose the photos for the Sexy theme :wink: I've tried to make them arty and sexy rather than smutty, although I concede some (like the cover image) are a bit on the naughty side. Anyway, that's what the other "main" themes are for, with the Sexy theme just an option.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #5,363 of 6,262
Glad it's working out for you. My wife helped me choose the photos for the Sexy theme :wink: I've tried to make them arty and sexy rather than smutty, although I concede some (like the cover image) are a bit on the naughty side. Anyway, that's what the other "main" themes are for, with the Sexy theme just an option.

Any chance we could get the sexy theme without the graphics so we have a solid colored backdrop?

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #5,364 of 6,262

It's not that the picture is naughty...it is arty. it is that the objects in question are so obviously fake that they are ugly :) Sorry.

Any chance we could get the sexy theme without the graphics so we have a solid colored backdrop?

that would be perfect for me... I like the cool one but would prefer a black one

Hiby for me is one of its plus points don't have to fiddle around with tiny little capacitive buttons , and even on a bigger dap i think it would be greatly implemented as most people use there phone so frequently nowadays.

Meet the only headfier who does not need, want, use a smartphone:) I agree that the buttons can be a bit fiddly. At home I use a stylus for all my devices... ipad, android tablet and touch screen daps. I hate touching them with my finger... its gross..lol. Makes typing on a tablet really slow though. Sometimes I think I should start using my old laptop again. I wonder if it is still alive. Typing on my pc keyboard at the moment...

Feb 28, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #5,367 of 6,262
Sure thing, I’ll make sure the next revision includes that as an option.

Fantastic, I know my aging eyes will surely appreciate that.

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #5,369 of 6,262
also for me the custom firmware , thanks for the job :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #5,370 of 6,262
Hi there new to the group.

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but I could not find it as I scrolled through the posts.

Got a Cayin N3

LOVE IT -- like totally love it.

Couple questions tho:

Mine will only charge up to 93% not sure why -- doesn't pose a problem but I am wondering if there is a fix?

Also I would like to set it up to default to direct out the headphone jack and not headphone out. Is this possible? 99% of the time it is playing through my stereo. It would be nice to not have to set it to direct every time.

Thanks in advance for any help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back