Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #5,252 of 6,262
No. There is not a way to set the N3 for line out and let it remain that way.
Cayin has said in the past, that the line out is not a true line out anyway. It still runs through the amplification stage. [you should be able to search this in the forum to confirm what i'm saying.] So dlayman's suggestion to set the volume at a high level is a good one. Since the Line out and Headphone out are essentially going through the same circuit, that is one way around the issue.

I use the N3 with digital usb out. That volume is also adjustable.

What are your plugging into?
Ohhh thanks for the aclaration, sometimes y use the N3 as audio source from my car stereo and my living room A/V receiver, I guess I'll have to do what you recomend.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #5,257 of 6,262
Apologies if this has been asked before. Search function didn't retrieve much...

1. Does (or can) the amp section of this device draw power from the USB connection when used as an USB dac/amp with a PC or is it only battery-powered (I know that the battery is charged)?

1.1. In this function, how does this compare to a cheaper dedicated solution like the Fiio E10K to drive high impedance headphones (300 Ohms)?

2. Does it work as a wireless dac/amp with a PC too (mine features bluetooth 4.1 and is running linux) or is this possible only with mobile devices?

Need something better than my mini PC's head out. Also happen to be looking for a new Dap to replace my defunct Clip+ and I don't like clutter.

Having it all in one device would be great.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #5,258 of 6,262
Apologies if this has been asked before. Search function didn't retrieve much...

1. Does (or can) the amp section of this device draw power from the USB connection when used as an USB dac/amp with a PC or is it only battery-powered (I know that the battery is charged)?

1.1. In this function, how does this compare to a cheaper dedicated solution like the Fiio E10K to drive high impedance headphones (300 Ohms)?

2. Does it work as a wireless dac/amp with a PC too (mine features bluetooth 4.1 and is running linux) or is this possible only with mobile devices?

Need something better than my mini PC's head out. Also happen to be looking for a new Dap to replace my defunct Clip+ and I don't like clutter.

Having it all in one device would be great.

1. - The N3 does draw power / stay charged, when connected to a USB cable as a DAC. You could modify a USB cable, with a switch to disconnect the VCC wire.
1.1. - The only cheaper DAP/DACs I have, are the Zishan Z1 & Z2 - and all three can drive my Beyerdynamic DT-831 (250Ω) headphones, and higher impedance earbuds.
2. - The N3 does have Bluetooth Transmit (aptX), and Receive (SBC) capabilities. I can't remember whether I've tried connecting it to my Netbook, which runs Mint Linux - but it does connect to my other Bluetooth devices (PC, Android phone, Android tablet, auxiliary Bluetooth transmitters).

If you've got a phone or tablet that can run the HiBy Link app, you can use that device, via Bluetooth, to control (including Volume) the music playing from the SD card in the N3.

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,259 of 6,262
Ah... I'd really love to know if someone has been able to set up the N3 as a wireless dac/amp under linux. I'm not too familiar with the technical aspects of bluetooth yet.

By the way, my first question wasn't supposed to imply that I want to prevent USB power draw under usage. On the contrary, I have an interest in having the amp section of the N3 be powered directly from the USB bus of the PC because the USB 3.0 ports of my mini PC have a "fast-charging" feature for connected battery devices. I'm just wondering if a USB-powered (or battery-powered connect over USB) dac/amp can take advantage of this feature.

I'm assuming this "fast-charging" feature increases the power output over USB beyond standard specs.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #5,260 of 6,262
Ah... I'd really love to know if someone has been able to set up the N3 as a wireless dac/amp under linux. I'm not too familiar with the technical aspects of bluetooth yet.

By the way, my first question wasn't supposed to imply that I want to prevent USB power draw under usage. On the contrary, I have an interest in having the amp section of the N3 be powered directly from the USB bus of the PC because the USB 3.0 ports of my mini PC have a "fast-charging" feature for connected battery devices. I'm just wondering if a USB-powered (or battery-powered connect over USB) dac/amp can take advantage of this feature.

I'm assuming this "fast-charging" feature increases the power output over USB beyond standard specs.

I believe that, in order for the source device to switch into "fast-charging" mode, it requires a "hand-shake" communication from the load device - indicating that it wants / needs fast-charging.

@CayinSupport can probably tell us whether the N3 is capable of going in to fast-charging mode.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #5,261 of 6,262
Hi guys,

I'm kind of a newbie on Head-fi as it's my first post here, even if I've been following general activity of the site for a while now. Glad I finally have the occasion to step in and talk a bit with you...

Hey guys - apologies, it’s been one thing after another and I haven’t had a solid hour to sit down and do this. Give me a week or two (hopefully less) - I want it just as much as you believe me!

So my first question will be about this custom FW: I'm considering the Cayin N3 as I'm looking for a new DAP but my music library is slightly bigger than the 20,000 tracks that is the current limit of the Cayin N3 and I was planning to use tag-based browsing in general. I asked Cayin and they said they didn't have any plan to raise this limit in the future which I can totally understand. Thus my question to @gLer: I don't know exactly how you proceed to create the custom FWs but I was wondering if that file limit is something that could be modified in them? If so, is this something that you could consider doing? Cayin claims they do this to preserve the UI's general speed and responsiveness so I'd understand you don't want to do the change on the custom FW either but I think it was worth asking the question :)

Thanks in advance!

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #5,262 of 6,262
Hi guys,

I'm kind of a newbie on Head-fi as it's my first post here, even if I've been following general activity of the site for a while now. Glad I finally have the occasion to step in and talk a bit with you...

So my first question will be about this custom FW: I'm considering the Cayin N3 as I'm looking for a new DAP but my music library is slightly bigger than the 20,000 tracks that is the current limit of the Cayin N3 and I was planning to use tag-based browsing in general. I asked Cayin and they said they didn't have any plan to raise this limit in the future which I can totally understand. Thus my question to @gLer: I don't know exactly how you proceed to create the custom FWs but I was wondering if that file limit is something that could be modified in them? If so, is this something that you could consider doing? Cayin claims they do this to preserve the UI's general speed and responsiveness so I'd understand you don't want to do the change on the custom FW either but I think it was worth asking the question :)

Thanks in advance!
Hi - busy working on the CF V2.2 as we speak, but I'm afraid it doesn't do anything to the file limit (nor do I think it can). It simply adds better visual themes, cleans up all the messy Chinese-English UI elements, and makes things a little speedier.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #5,264 of 6,262
Hi all,

I want to improve the Amp part of my desktop setup,
ATM i have:
Cayin N3 -> Cmoy Amp -> Fidelio X2

What will be a good Small portable Amp which can give me a real step up vs my Cmoy?

Thx
Depending on your budget, I would suggest iFi audio micro iDSD BL or nano iDSD BL. I have the micro iDSD BL and also the Fidelio X2, and it's a really great pairing! The N3 is an excellent transport via USB OTG with both, and with the nano iDSD also pocket sized (if your pockets are not too small :ksc75smile:). The HiBy Link feature makes is also remote controllable.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #5,265 of 6,262
Depending on your budget, I would suggest iFi audio micro iDSD BL or nano iDSD BL. I have the micro iDSD BL and also the Fidelio X2, and it's a really great pairing! The N3 is an excellent transport via USB OTG with both, and with the nano iDSD also pocket sized (if your pockets are not too small :ksc75smile:). The HiBy Link feature makes is also remote controllable.
I second the iDSD Micro. I have one and it’s superb. You can also get the original (silver) iDSD Micro for less money: doubt you’ll hear much of a difference between the original and BL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back