Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #5,236 of 6,262
Hi, I don't have any other DAP.
I have a HTC 10, with a very reasonable sound output. I've tried the headphones with it (Sennheiser Momentum in ear, Shure SRH840 and Bose Quietcomfort 25) and I can listen any lighter change I do on any app on the Smartphone. The same with my HIFI system.
With the N3, the sound never change and I don't know what can try.
If I don't find the reason, I'll return the player to the shop.

Thanks again for your attention.

Daniel
About the EQ, just to be sure: are you using Headphone out (not Line Out), wired headphones directly connected to the headphone port (no BT or USB/Coaxial to another device), and normal resolution files (not hi-res or weird formats - try a standard 16/44 FLAC file for testing). Also try changing the EQ BEFORE starting to play a track, just as a test - I ran into an issue where the EQ would quit responding if the EQ was changed during playback a few times.

As far as the digital filters go, most people won't notice a difference. It takes certain tracks and/or a trained ear to hear the minute differences. Look at tracks that have lots of ride or crash - and listen to the decay on the cymbals, you'll usually hear it best there. Oh, and some headphones cover up the differences, especially anything with active noise cancellation - like those Bose you have. There's also the universal in-ear problem that the driver needs to be placed perfectly in the ear canal to get the most accurate high-frequency reproduction.

You need "accurate" 1:1 monitors and environment to really hear those digital filters as they affect the high frequency cutoff and rounding (as well as hearing that goes into those ranges). Those SRH840s should work, just be in a quiet environment, medium to low volume, and listen for the decays in the highs - do the Sharp filter, then the Super Slow and you'll have the best possibility of noticing the differences (those filters are the furthest apart in operation).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #5,237 of 6,262
Thanks to @DBaldock9 and @Andykong for help with mp3tag. I've now got a Music Category with albums, artists, and genre's correctly labelled. I can now start copying CD's in earnest!
Really enjoying my N3, sounds great and it connects perfectly via BT with the car so once I've got my CD's copied across then I won't need to take them with me, just my N3. I spend a lot of time in the car as I have to travel to lots of business meetings so it's going to get a lot of use.

Thanks again, guys!

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #5,239 of 6,262
Any news/progress on new custom firmware? @gLer ?
Hey guys - apologies, it’s been one thing after another and I haven’t had a solid hour to sit down and do this. Give me a week or two (hopefully less) - I want it just as much as you believe me!

Jan 21, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #5,240 of 6,262
Hey guys - apologies, it’s been one thing after another and I haven’t had a solid hour to sit down and do this. Give me a week or two (hopefully less) - I want it just as much as you believe me!

i-shall-wait-with-bated-breath-mosley.jpg

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #5,241 of 6,262
I'm kinda new with the N3, I have it since November, I remember have read a little about a custom fw for it, but I didn't know what features it adds to the stock firmware.
anyway since I love to mod my devices (android smartphones and tablets, my ex fiio x1, my rockboxed Xduoo X3) I'm full in for trying this custom fw from @gLer.
Waiting to try it

Jan 22, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #5,242 of 6,262
Hello,
I am using N3 and very happy with it. Couple of days ago one of my friend asked me a weird question (which i have no chance to test it), any comments are welcome.

Is there a way to use 2 x bluetooth aptx-hd supporting headphones (such as Sony WH-1000MX2) with N3 DAP(both headphones should be working at the same time)

IMHO, it might work, if we connect 2x headphones to a Aptx-hd supporting to Multipoint Bluetooth transmitter (Such as Avantree Privo iia) bu using Cayin CS40TC35 cable (Type C to Coax cable) or estblishing simple line in cable connection (between Avantree Privo aux and N3 3.5mm headphone-out)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #5,243 of 6,262
Hi CayinSupport,
I have been enjoying the N3 player. I have the Cayin USB to Coaxial cable. Tried to connect the player to my Dac's coaxial input. The music comes through in "bits" a milisecond of music then a pause then a milisecond of music. I also tried on another Dac and with that Dac no sound. Are there any other setting that need to be changed ?

Thank you !

Jan 24, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #5,246 of 6,262
I just ordered a N3.
One question that I haven't seen the answer to is, is the USB DAC in Windows low latency? I like to produce music on my laptop and want something better than stock. Thanks
The ASIO driver is capable of very low latency as are most ASIO driver capable devices. The big problem is usually that the computer driving the device isn't capable of producing a consistent stream of data to keep the device satisfied. That's where the ASIO buffers come in. But, the issue is that the more buffering, which also allows weaker hardware to drive the ASIO, the more latency across the stream.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #5,247 of 6,262
Dos anybody now if ther's a way to "lock" the audio output, in this case, the Line Out? to stay after a reboot? I know it gets back to headphone out for safety, but it really annoys me to have to activate again in every reboot, maybe if the disclaimer pops up after booting or a similar workaround like in the fiio DAPs.

cc CayinSupport

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #5,248 of 6,262
Dos anybody now if ther's a way to "lock" the audio output, in this case, the Line Out? to stay after a reboot? I know it gets back to headphone out for safety, but it really annoys me to have to activate again in every reboot, maybe if the disclaimer pops up after booting or a similar workaround like in the fiio DAPs.

cc CayinSupport

You could set it to "custom volume" on reboot and set the volume to the maximum in high gain mode. That would be effectively the same as line out.

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #5,249 of 6,262
The ASIO driver is capable of very low latency as are most ASIO driver capable devices. The big problem is usually that the computer driving the device isn't capable of producing a consistent stream of data to keep the device satisfied. That's where the ASIO buffers come in. But, the issue is that the more buffering, which also allows weaker hardware to drive the ASIO, the more latency across the stream.
Am I able to select the buffer size? Will it work with a 3rd party program like asio4all? Thanks

Jan 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,250 of 6,262

You could set it to "custom volume" on reboot and set the volume to the maximum in high gain mode. That would be effectively the same as line out.

No. There is not a way to set the N3 for line out and let it remain that way.
Cayin has said in the past, that the line out is not a true line out anyway. It still runs through the amplification stage. [you should be able to search this in the forum to confirm what i'm saying.] So dlayman's suggestion to set the volume at a high level is a good one. Since the Line out and Headphone out are essentially going through the same circuit, that is one way around the issue.

I use the N3 with digital usb out. That volume is also adjustable.

What are your plugging into?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back