Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 27, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,146 of 6,262
Hi everyone! I'm new in this forum so i don't know if ths is the right thread for my question; i have just bought a new Cayin n3 for Christmas because i have read a lot of very good reviews in the site and because i wanted something more "premium" in order to enjoy my music ( before i was using my Sony walkman NWZ-E575 ). I have received my unit with firmware 2.1 and upgraded it with 2.2 version as soon as i took it out of the box; so far i really like the n3 but i have found one problem: the in line remote of my headphones doesn't work, in particular i have a pair of Sony MDR-1A ( i have try other headphones and no one seems to work ). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #5,147 of 6,262
Hi everyone! I'm new in this forum so i don't know if ths is the right thread for my question; i have just bought a new Cayin n3 for Christmas because i have read a lot of very good reviews in the site and because i wanted something more "premium" in order to enjoy my music ( before i was using my Sony walkman NWZ-E575 ). I have received my unit with firmware 2.1 and upgraded it with 2.2 version as soon as i took it out of the box; so far i really like the n3 but i have found one problem: the in line remote of my headphones doesn't work, in particular i have a pair of Sony MDR-1A ( i have try other headphones and no one seems to work ). Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

There's a typo on the Cayin N3 web page, since they say that the jack is a CITA standard, but the actual standard name is CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association).
Does the manual or packaging for the Sony MDR-1A say that it is a CTIA standard plug? I couldn't find any reference to CTIA on the MDR-1A web site.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #5,148 of 6,262
There's a typo on the Cayin N3 web page, since they say that the jack is a CITA standard, but the actual standard name is CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association).
Does the manual or packaging for the Sony MDR-1A say that it is a CTIA standard plug? I couldn't find any reference to CTIA on the MDR-1A web site.

Are you saying that some in line controls can work with the Cayin? I just assumed those were for phones. I have no need for that feature so I have never tried it with any of my DAPs. I choose to not own a smartphone so if I have a choice I use a cable with no mic.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #5,149 of 6,262
Sorry for the late reply! It indeed seem wired. Would you please double confirm your connection between N3 and Chord Hugo2 and SPDIF setting is on DoP? Are you DSD files DSD64 or DSD128? What is your current firmware of N3? Have you ever reset the N3 before?
Hello and thank you for your assistance!

System setting\Firmware version: 2.2
Music setting\S/PDIF: DoP
Tested DSD files: DSD128 (5.6MHz)

I have never reset the player. I received it 1 or 2 weeks ago, upgraded the firmware as soon as I unboxed it, and that's it.

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #5,150 of 6,262
Are you saying that some in line controls can work with the Cayin? I just assumed those were for phones. I have no need for that feature so I have never tried it with any of my DAPs. I choose to not own a smartphone so if I have a choice I use a cable with no mic.

Yes, the N3 web page says that CTIA Inline Controls for Play / Pause / Next : Fwd / Prev : Rev are supported.
I know that my VE Monk+ Earbuds w/3-Button Android inline controls do work, at least for Play / Pause.
The N3 doesn't implement the Volume Control button functions, which do work with my Nexus 5 Android phone.

20171127053326542.jpg

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #5,151 of 6,262

Unfortunately in the manual there is no information about it, i have tried also the earbuds that came with my HTC A9 but neither them work.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #5,152 of 6,262
Unfortunately in the manual there is no information about it, i have tried also the earbuds that came with my HTC A9 but neither them work.

There are adapters that can convert between the OMTP & CTIA standards, if the audio is quiet (due to the audio GND being on different pins). But, if the audio is working, then the control signal should be on the correct pin. I'm not sure why your Play / Pause function isn't working.

nexusae0_CTIA_OMTP_Pinout.png

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #5,153 of 6,262
There are adapters that can convert between the OMTP & CTIA standards, if the audio is quiet (due to the audio GND being on different pins). But, if the audio is working, then the control signal should be on the correct pin. I'm not sure why your Play / Pause function isn't working.

nexusae0_CTIA_OMTP_Pinout.png

Sound is working prefectly, i don't know maybe there is an option that i have missed or simply the player doesn't work with in line remote with only one button, in their site they show a three button controller but unfortunately i don't have any headphones with that particular type.. Thanks for helping me anyway :smile:

Dec 27, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5,154 of 6,262
Sound is working prefectly, i don't know maybe there is an option that i have missed or simply the player doesn't work with in line remote with only one button, in their site they show a three button controller but unfortunately i don't have any headphones with that particular type.. Thanks for helping me anyway :smile:

So far, of the earbuds / earphones that I have with me while I'm traveling - only the first two, with 3-Button Inline Controls, appear to be able to Play / Pause the N3:

1.) VE Monk Plus (Coffee Gold) - Earbud, 64Ω, 120dB/mW, 20Hz-20KHz, Plastic housing, 1x Dynamic, Tethered Android 3-button cable
2.) HLSX Magaosi MGS-BK50 - Earphone, 32Ω, 101dB/mW, 20Hz-20KHz, Wood housing, 1x Dynamic & 1x Balanced Armature, Tethered cable w/Mic
~~
3.) Remax RM-600M - Earphone, 16Ω, 97dB/mW, 18Hz-22KHz, Metal housing, 1x Balanced Armature, Tethered cable w/Mic
4.) DZAT DF-10 - Earphone, 16Ω, 90dB/mW, 6Hz-20KHz, Red Ebony wood housing, 1x Dynamic, Tethered cable w/Mic
5.) MEMT X5 - Earphone, 16Ω, 100dB/mW, 20Hz-20KHz, Metal housing, 1x Dynamic, Tethered cable w/Mic

I also have a cable with 3-Button Inline Controls (which can work with either Android or iPhone) and MMCX connectors, so any of my MMCX earbuds / earphones can control the N3.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wit...5-se425-se535-Se846-LN004900/32811373313.html

Dec 27, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5,155 of 6,262
I have two Xiaomi in-ears that somewhat control the N3. The hybrid "Pro" (QTEJ01JY) and the hybrid "Pro HD" (QTEJ02JY). Their functionality appears to be limited to play/pause, next, and previous. One press to toggle play/pause, two quick presses to go to the next track, and three quick presses to go back one track. It doesn't seem to matter which of the three buttons are pressed.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #5,156 of 6,262
I have two Xiaomi in-ears that somewhat control the N3. The hybrid "Pro" (QTEJ01JY) and the hybrid "Pro HD" (QTEJ02JY). Their functionality appears to be limited to play/pause, next, and previous. One press to toggle play/pause, two quick presses to go to the next track, and three quick presses to go back one track. It doesn't seem to matter which of the three buttons are pressed.

Both of my 3-button inline controllers seem to do the same with my N3 - any of the 3 buttons can be pressed, to Play / Pause / Fwd / Rew.
However, with my Nexus 5 Android phone, the two Volume buttons actually control the Volume.

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #5,157 of 6,262
HD630VB - can pause, play and next/prev. Can use the volume controls. They do work on other DAPs though (including X5iii and X7ii.

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #5,159 of 6,262
Sorry - typing from phone. You CAN’T use the volume controls (although with the FiiOs I can)

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,160 of 6,262
Sorry - typing from phone. You CAN’T use the volume controls (although with the FiiOs I can)

Are the FiiO units both Android based?
Wish my Android based Onkyo DP-X1B supported 3-button controllers... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back