Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 8, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,013 of 6,262
I just updated to iOS 11.2 and was hoping that would solve the Hiby Link problem but alas no joy! Waiting for Hiby to solve the problem
I suspect it’s Cayin that need to solve the BT problem with a firmware version that supports HiBy Link for iOS.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,016 of 6,262
I think it is up to Cayin. N3 Hibylink certainly works with my old HTC M8
I think it’s a HiBy/iOS issue as it doesn’t work with the Shanling M1 either. It is extremely annoying and infuriating after waiting all these months for them to release something that doesn’t even work though.

@BetterLate I updated to iOS 11.2 for the same reason but no luck :frowning2:

I was a software developer in a previous life and I just can’t understand the reasoning behind releasing an update that does not work at all. Testing is a crucial part of the development cycle, not an optional extra. They must be aware that it doesn’t work - I simply can’t believe they are that incompetent.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #5,017 of 6,262
I decided to buy N3 because it has everything I want in a DAP.

- Play all digital music files especially DSD because I've never tried it before and I want to
- APT-x BT capability
- more than 8 hrs of playback time
- Responsive UI
- Digital out to connect to my main audio system
- and the last one, I want to pay as less as possible

N3 answers all of them that why I end up with N3. And Hiby is a big PLUS to my need, make it much easier to use N3 as a source in my main system.

Please don't drop any of them.

What I want see improve?

1. BT connection to BT receiver that need PIN,
I mention this before my BT receiver of my other system need PIN and it just a default PIN (0000 or 1234).
N3 cannot connect to them but a small-and-cheap BT transmitter from aliexpress can so I believe there is a way to do that.
So can you make the BT connection procedure to try this 2 PIN before give up.

2. I use Cayin's USB to coax cable and when connect to my DAC in main system. I have to crank all the volume up to get the listening volume level.
When I switch back to Headphone, I have to remember to bring the volume down or I may damage my headphone or my ears.
Can you make the line-out switch to cover digital out volume?

3. Make the Delete function work on exFAT card.

That's all.
Thank you.

So anything update related point 1 ? So cayin n3 can connect to bluetooth receiver that ask pin ? Or for more universal BT receiver?

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #5,018 of 6,262
Someone asked me for a photo of how the Cayin N3 stacks with the Topping NX1s so I will post a couple here. The bands that come with the Topping are grey but I had these black ones from a different Topping that my husband owns (he was not using these bands). I used the connector that comes with the amp. The amp comes in silver or black. I probably don't actually need the amp for the earphones that are plugged into it right now. Those just arrived and I have not even listened with them yet.

I bought the NX1s to see if it would add anything to my higher impedance headphones and the one higher impedance bud (200 ohm) that I have. I have only had it a few days. I actually find that the Cayin has plenty of power for most of the gear that I have and have been using it unamped for months.

R0012950.JPG
R0012961.JPG

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,019 of 6,262
Someone asked me for a photo of how the Cayin N3 stacks with the Topping NX1s so I will post a couple here. The bands that come with the Topping are grey but I had these black ones from a different Topping that my husband owns (he was not using these bands). I used the connector that comes with the amp. The amp comes in silver or black. I probably don't actually need the amp for the earphones that are plugged into it right now. Those just arrived and I have not even listened with them yet.

I bought the NX1s to see if it would add anything to my higher impedance headphones and the one higher impedance bud (200 ohm) that I have. I have only had it a few days. I actually find that the Cayin has plenty of power for most of the gear that I have and have been using it unamped for months.

I have the standard NX1 and it's an awesome little unit. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #5,020 of 6,262

Nice shots! It's tough getting everything to cooperate nicely like that!

I've always heard great things about the NX1 - seems akin to my C&C BH amp that I still love to this day.

But now that Mr Trev is recommending the NX1, I'm not so sure... :wink:

Dec 10, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #5,021 of 6,262
Nice shots! It's tough getting everything to cooperate nicely like that!

I've always heard great things about the NX1 - seems akin to my C&C BH amp that I still love to this day.

But now that Mr Trev is recommending the NX1, I'm not so sure... :wink:

Thanks. Also hard to get good lighting when the sun is setting now at 3:50pm (15;50). Hate when I end up using the flash (first shot). What never cooperates is the color of that red case! It is a much nicer shade of red in real life. The color of the dap itself (my red one) is stunning.

Mine is the NX1s... it has those little arm things to protect the volume knob from accidentally being turned if it is in your pocket. I did not need the amp with those buds...NICEHCK DIY Graphene (new version). The Cayin powers much of my gear nicely on its own.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5,022 of 6,262
Hi, I tried to reproduce your issue on my side but sadly, I could open nothing on my andriod phone. It seems my phone has broken and need to repair. Would you mind recording your issue in a video and send to community@cayin.cn so that I can analyze it and see what can I do for you ?

Aha. Found it.
Inside hibymusic,
It can scroll to left and we can pick album artist or folder which we can explore inside cayin n3.

Now i can truly explore folder based on cayin n3 or by my android via hiby.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #5,023 of 6,262
For anyone that interested in bluetooth, convenience and extra feature or possibility
Just happen tried my cayin n3 transmit music wirelessly via Bluetooth to speaker flawlessly.
The interesting part, i control cayin n3 via hibymusic to play music
and also while make playlist, sort some music (not try delete, i think must use fat32 from pages before and actually more fast using computer for organize).
So the solution to create playlist on the move is by hibylink with select by song or SELECT ALL in each folder
Hibylink can create playlist explore by folder structure inside tf card, sort by artist, album or other tag. More flexible and we get better and bigger screen.
Hiby link can connect and control cayin n3 to play wired or wirelessly (the music inside n3 to BT headphone/other receiver).
Just share this, because
from pages before (still on progress 250page+ done read) and forgot somewhere before there is question to use hibymusic with cayin also with bt speaker or earphone and headphone. The answer is not possible to use cayin n3 as transmitter and receiver in bluetooth.
Maybe the correct one is not possible for stream from phone (like tidal/podcast or music from internal phone) to cayin also stream again with bluetooth to speaker/headphone/earphone.
i think this give more option and clear info to other new and existing customer.
Sorry if cant explain clearly, english isnt my native language.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #5,024 of 6,262
For anyone that interested in bluetooth, convenience and extra feature or possibility
Just happen tried my cayin n3 transmit music wirelessly via Bluetooth to speaker flawlessly.
The interesting part, i control cayin n3 via hibymusic to play music
and also while make playlist, sort some music (not try delete, i think must use fat32 from pages before and actually more fast using computer for organize).
So the solution to create playlist on the move is by hibylink with select by song or SELECT ALL in each folder
Hibylink can create playlist explore by folder structure inside tf card, sort by artist, album or other tag. More flexible and we get better and bigger screen.
Hiby link can connect and control cayin n3 to play wired or wirelessly (the music inside n3 to BT headphone/other receiver).
Just share this, because
from pages before (still on progress 250page+ done read) and forgot somewhere before there is question to use hibymusic with cayin also with bt speaker or earphone and headphone. The answer is not possible to use cayin n3 as transmitter and receiver in bluetooth.
Maybe the correct one is not possible for stream from phone (like tidal/podcast or music from internal phone) to cayin also stream again with bluetooth to speaker/headphone/earphone.
i think this give more option and clear info to other new and existing customer.
Sorry if cant explain clearly, english isnt my native language.
Wouldn’t it be lovely if all of us iOS users could actually try HiBy Link... :wink:

Dec 10, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #5,025 of 6,262
Can someone clear this up for me? The literature for the N3 says you cant use BT headphones while using Hibylink. Do they mean while you are streaming songs stored in the phone or when just using the phone to control the DAP? (or BOTH?) I really wanted to use my wireless earbuds while using Hibylink to control the DAP playlists. I ordered it 2 days ago. Now I'm worried. :frowning2:

Just read this and yup it works hiby to cayin to BT headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back