Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 2, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4,966 of 6,262
Not to sound like a total fanboy but I can't believe how great this DAP is! The sound quality is light years ahead of my old 160GB Ipod. I'm an acoustic bass player and I now dread the subway when I need to use my old Ipod... I'm considering adding the C5 to give the N3 a little more power to drive my HD 650's and my 450i's. Has anyone tried this combination? If so I'd love to hear how this worked. Thanks!

Have you tried just driving them with the N3?

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,968 of 6,262
The N3 sounds amazing with my 325 E's and my Hifiman Edition s but I'd like just a little more juice to run the HD 650's and the planars. They sound good but I think a little bit more power would be nice. Any opinions?

Sorry, no, not really. I mainly drive my Senns with my home Bryston gear, but my Shanling M3 drives them well as does my JDS Labs O2. The O2 is great but it's not all that portable.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #4,969 of 6,262
Anyone have sennheiser hd 4.50 and pxc550 ? Can it connect aptx with cayin ?
Because at page 170 something at back there is someone troubled at failed connection
Also for clarity which one is better ?
Sound sig is toward audio technica but sr5bt is not over ear and dsr7bt have creacking risk, also only 15hr battery.

Dec 3, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #4,970 of 6,262
The N3 sounds amazing with my 325 E's and my Hifiman Edition s but I'd like just a little more juice to run the HD 650's and the planars. They sound good but I think a little bit more power would be nice. Any opinions?

I use FiiO A3

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #4,971 of 6,262

I am very impressed with the little Topping NX1s that I recently got. I have it stacked right now with my Cayin N3. Only cost me £30.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #4,972 of 6,262
I am very impressed with the little Topping NX1s that I recently got. I have it stacked right now with my Cayin N3. Only cost me £30.

What's interesting, is that the N3 and the NX1s have basically the same output power rating, with N3 = 130mW @ 32Ω, and NX1s = 150mW @ 32Ω.
The difference of 20mW isn't going to be audible, since it takes more like a doubling (or halving) of the power, to make a noticeable change in loudness (and 10x the power to be twice as loud).

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,973 of 6,262
What's interesting, is that the N3 and the NX1s have basically the same output power rating, with N3 = 130mW @ 32Ω, and NX1s = 150mW @ 32Ω.
The difference of 20mW isn't going to be audible, since it takes more like a doubling (or halving) of the power, to make a noticeable change in loudness (and 10x the power to be twice as loud).

I know... and yet there seems to be a difference... nothing really to do with basic loudness. I always get enough volume especially since I do not listen as loudly as many people seem to.

I only got the NX1s yesterday. So far just trying with my Senn HD598 which is known to have fairly high impedance in the base region (300 ohm) which is probably why some people think this headphone is bass deficient. I plan to try it with my Senn 580s and other higher impedance headphones. Plus I have a 200ohm bud coming at some point... well, my husband does but is giving it to me as he has more than enough buds.

Anyway, it is a new toy to play with:)

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,974 of 6,262
I know... and yet there seems to be a difference... nothing really to do with basic loudness. I always get enough volume especially since I do not listen as loudly as many people seem to.

I only got the NX1s yesterday. So far just trying with my Senn HD598 which is known to have fairly high impedance in the base region (300 ohm) which is probably why some people think this headphone is bass deficient. I plan to try it with my Senn 580s and other higher impedance headphones. Plus I have a 200ohm bud coming at some point... well, my husband does but is giving it to me as he has more than enough buds.

Kinda the same thing with my C3 and Nx1 combo. The C3 gets loud enough but the amp adds a little dynamic range. Great pairing! Very interested in the N3 so I’ll be interested in your findings!

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,975 of 6,262

Well, the power out, in mW, is the result of Voltage & Current delivery by the amplifier circuits.
So, for the same power output at a given impedance (32Ω for instance), two different amps could provide differing amounts of power into a higher or lower impedance load - due to being Voltage or Current limited.
If your headphones are higher impedance, an amp with higher voltage swing is more appropriate; and for lower impedance headphones, you'd want one that can deliver higher current.

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4,976 of 6,262

i think it's also because of amp coloration. I also prefer using the N3 stacked with my E17K than the N3 alone. although the N3 is powerful ,the E17k adds more attack and top end, also slight widening of the soundstage. Not to mention the comfort of volume knob and fast EQ access. Using the EQ on the N3 seems to drop the volume a bit when it's on, even when set flat

Dec 3, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,978 of 6,262
Most of the recent posts mentioned about pairing the N3 with an amp, I also have the Nx1s and waiting for my N3 to arrive, I just want to clarify with @mbwilson111

Are you using the headphone out (N3) to input (Nx1s)?

You do use the headphone out as there is no separate line-out on the N3. You need to go into the settings to set the N3 output to line-out instead of the default headphone-out. You will have to do this every time after you have powered off. Some people are annoyed about that but it is a safety feature... safer for your ears and your headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #4,979 of 6,262
I have been using the N3 for several hours tonight playing music from a flash drive using the OTG feature. Does anyone know if this would drain the battery faster than just playing from the micro-sd card? I usually get about 12 hours from the card but it seems that I will only get 8 hours using OTG.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,980 of 6,262
I have been using the N3 for several hours tonight playing music from a flash drive using the OTG feature. Does anyone know if this would drain the battery faster than just playing from the micro-sd card? I usually get about 12 hours from the card but it seems that I will only get 8 hours using OTG.

With OTG, your N3 is powering the memory access circuitry within the flash drive, so it will reduce the run time some.

I don't know if there's a web site, or chart, that shows flash drives power usage - but I suspect that fairly current models, that are not the fastest, would probably use the least (since they'll have new chips, running at lower speeds).

EDIT: Also look for a flash drive without an LED. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back