Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #4,606 of 6,262
Interesting EQs for chillaxing. Sounds good with

I only substract dB, because 1.2 FW bugs on 24bit FLAC and maybe something else - when changing EQ from off to custom, -6dB gain isn't applied, I think, because the sound seems equally loud. So substracting dB prevents possible clipping.

Oct 30, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #4,607 of 6,262
Increasing values on the EQ seems to cause some kind of limiter to kick in. It doesn't sound right. It might only make sense to decrease.

I also noticed that in Line Out mode (LO) the EQ does not function. And if you switch back to Headphone Mode, you need to unplug the audio cable and replug it or the player may not entirely switch back to headphone mode and the EQ will stay non-functional.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #4,609 of 6,262
Hi Andy,

I am very late to this thread, but I just got my N3 and am loving everything--except the 20,000 song limit. Using the Music Library function works fine, but as a kid raised on iPods I'd love the option of browsing by category and shuffling my whole library, which is pushing 30,000.

What are the chances of an expansion to the song limit in the future?

Thanks!

We can't do that, sorry. We have approached the limit of internal memory usage already, increase the database limit to 30,000 will affect the overall smooth operation of the DAP.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 31, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #4,610 of 6,262
May have been covered but In 308 pages it has eluded me. If you have an N3 permanently coupled to an external amp (C5) is there a way to prevent it reverting from line out to headphone out every time it powers off?

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #4,611 of 6,262
May have been covered but In 308 pages it has eluded me. If you have an N3 permanently coupled to an external amp (C5) is there a way to prevent it reverting from line out to headphone out every time it powers off?

It's considered a safety feature, so they probably haven't included a bypass.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,612 of 6,262
It's considered a safety feature, so they probably haven't included a bypass.

Kind of figured that was going to be the answer I got but thought maybe one of the custom firmware options might have picked that up.

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,613 of 6,262

i also requested this feature, but they will not provide that option because they think there's not many people enough using the N3 permanently with amp.

the workaround is using the headphone mode, use the highest gain, and set the volume to 84 (same volume level as line out mode) or set it even higher if you prefer to drive your external amp's input harder

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #4,614 of 6,262
That is what I had been doing although I'll admit to having set the volume at 60 just to be on the safe side since I wasn't sure what the line out correlated to. I'll adjust it up a bit and see how that goes.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #4,615 of 6,262
The limiter (or compressor or whatever it is) that kicks in when I adjust EQ positively is quite annoying. If I had a complaint about the N3 at all it would be that. Not to mention the drop in volume from engaging the EQ at all. So far I hadn't mentioned it because the N3 is my first non iPhone dedicated dap since Compaq's iPaq from the mid 90's and I wasn't sure if that was "common." Is it a power management issue? Because its a lot louder with EQ off.

Does anyone make a portable/pocket amp with a built-in EQ? My Topping NX1s is nice when I need "loud but with EQ" though.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #4,616 of 6,262
That is what I had been doing although I'll admit to having set the volume at 60 just to be on the safe side since I wasn't sure what the line out correlated to. I'll adjust it up a bit and see how that goes.

I set mine to 98 since Cayin has stated the line-out is 1V rather than the more typical 2V.

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,617 of 6,262
its a lot louder with EQ off
It should be 6 dB louder. I don't know if it's common practise, but applying -6 dB gain with EQ on makes sense. For example, you can set all the frequencies to +6 dB and it still won't clip. I think that's what Cayin does and I feel like having read it in this thread. Though if limiter/compressor/whatever is used, I don't get the point of it. I mean with -6 dB gain, you are always safe, right? Well, few posts above I mentioned a situation where no gain is applied, but that's a bug. I use 1.2 FW, maybe it's fixed in the newer ones.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,618 of 6,262

from my own experience, the lower i set the volume, the warmer and smoother the sound, while if pushed beyond 84, the sound will get snappier and brighter. this might be because it pushes the amp's input and affect the sound, rather than that the N3 have different sound on different volume output (in a word, the amp that is reacting because difference of input volume). my amp is the fiio e17k. you might have a different result with your amp.

Does anyone make a portable/pocket amp with a built-in EQ? My Topping NX1s is nice when I need "loud but with EQ" though.

the Fiio E17K that I'm using have built in eq

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,619 of 6,262
I set mine to 98 since Cayin has stated the line-out is 1V rather than the more typical 2V.

We set it to 1V because that's the level when the distortion is at its low point, once we go beyond that, the distortion start to build up, not significantly but since we don't know the amplification that might be involved after the line out chain, so its good practice to aim at lower distortion whenever possible.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back