Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Nov 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #4,636 of 6,262
Punks! :pizza: (so many avatars now - thought I'd try pizza for a change lol)

Yes, I want to be one of the cool kids with the N3! And I know that I'd love it. The only thing holding me back is knowing that I'd want to also use it quite often in "phone streaming to N3" mode, and I would be a bit bummed if it didn't sound great in that mode. Btw, my Tidal subscription is the "high" quality level and not the lossless level, which I guess is at 320kbps, so possibly APTx is not even that important when streaming at 320kbps? Anyone??? Please help me become cool.
I can only tell you this: I had the N3 for a while as a reviewer, and I loved it https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...lity-digital-audio-player-black.22343/reviews
After that, I got myself a very neat Opus#11 which I'm using with an Xperia XA+Neutron. Very nice sounding, but I miss the N3 a lot, and I will get one regardless!

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4,637 of 6,262
Nov 2, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #4,638 of 6,262
@Andykong :
Since you guys talk about dream lol
I dream very small DAP from cayin, small enough like Bluetooth receiver, no need powerful amp, or display, just Bluetooth and very good DAC,
we can control player with hiby link,..
Put price under 100, im the first who buy it lolz

Something like the AK XB10 with TF cards and HiByLink?

First of all, the cost of high quality BT chip is actually very expensive, a lot more then the DAC chipset, so you can rest assure that any product that sells high quality Bluetooth will not be sub-$100.

No need poweramp, so this is a wireless DAC only? portable DAC without headphone output? I am afraid the market demands will not be very attractive.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #4,639 of 6,262
I can only tell you this: I had the N3 for a while as a reviewer, and I loved it https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...lity-digital-audio-player-black.22343/reviews
After that, I got myself a very neat Opus#11 which I'm using with an Xperia XA+Neutron. Very nice sounding, but I miss the N3 a lot, and I will get one regardless!

Thanks, and nice review!

Nobody has really responded directly to my question, but I'm going to assume that streaming from phone to the N3 (not in aptx) will be fine for me. So it's really only a matter of time until I get one (just waiting for @ridwan.a.wijaya 's dream to come true lol).

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,640 of 6,262
Thanks, and nice review!

Nobody has really responded directly to my question, but I'm going to assume that streaming from phone to the N3 (not in aptx) will be fine for me. So it's really only a matter of time until I get one (just waiting for @ridwan.a.wijaya 's dream to come true lol).
Thanks, and nice review!

If I read you correctly, my direct answer would be the following: for hi-res streaming, such as Tidal, use your phone with a small form factor DAC such as the Opus#11; for hi-res music on a SD card or from PC/Mac, go for the N3+HiBy Link. And if you toss a coin it'll end up standing :ksc75smile:

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #4,641 of 6,262
If I read you correctly, my direct answer would be the following: for hi-res streaming, such as Tidal, use your phone with a small form factor DAC such as the Opus#11; for hi-res music on a SD card or from PC/Mac, go for the N3+HiBy Link. And if you toss a coin it'll end up standing :ksc75smile:
@waynes world Or you might just be patient for one more month and get the best of two worlds with the new N5ii

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #4,642 of 6,262

Lol - thanks again. I have dac (zuperdac) which I attach to my phone. I love the sound, but it's not convenient for me as I don't like having something attached to my phone or plugged into the micro usb port.

But more importantly, I am not really concerned with lossless or hi-res streaming because I am using Tidal premium (ie 320kbps). Also, I don't exactly have golden ears. So I am hoping that the N3's lack of aptx in receive mode won't really make a difference to me.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #4,643 of 6,262
Thanks, and nice review!

Lol - thanks again. I have dac (zuperdac) which I attach to my phone. I love the sound, but it's not convenient for me as I don't like having something attached to my phone or plugged into the micro usb port.

But more importantly, I am not really concerned with lossless or hi-res streaming because I am using Tidal premium (ie 320kbps). Also, I don't exactly have golden ears. So I am hoping that the N3's lack of aptx in receive mode won't really make a difference to me.
Or, like I wrote in the post just above your last one (I messed up the quotes a bit), just wait for the new N5ii coming out in a month

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #4,644 of 6,262
Or, like I wrote in the post just above your last one (I messed up the quotes a bit), just wait for the new N5ii coming out in a month

I think I prefer the concept of leaving the android/wifi/hiby/streaming aspects on my phone, and keeping the N3 simple and focused on SQ. Also, I'm assuming the N5ii will cost just a wee bit more than the N3 lol. Regardless, thanks for making me aware of the n5ii - I will be following it with interest.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,645 of 6,262
@Andykong :
Since you guys talk about dream lol
I dream very small DAP from cayin, small enough like Bluetooth receiver, no need powerful amp, or display, just Bluetooth and very good DAC,
we can control player with hiby link,..
Put price under 100, im the first who buy it lolz

That would be cool if 3 things happened.

1) They ever get hibylink to show album art in the library (instead of just the active song)

2) They get iOS support working.

3) The Cayin would need to support AptX in reciever mode. (It doesn't) It only works in transmit mode. (Unless they've changed things in the new player)

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #4,646 of 6,262
Something like the AK XB10 with TF cards and HiByLink?

First of all, the cost of high quality BT chip is actually very expensive, a lot more then the DAC chipset, so you can rest assure that any product that sells high quality Bluetooth will not be sub-$100.

No need poweramp, so this is a wireless DAC only? portable DAC without headphone output? I am afraid the market demands will not be very attractive.

Yes something like f**o BT*1, but with microSD slot and hiby link..

Do we need high quality BT chip just for control Dap with hiby link? (or maybe BT DAC just like N3)

I mean amp is necessary, but just like smartphone, ie: only for lower impedance headphone/IEM,. (I didnt know how to mix match between amp, Dac or Bt chip with reasonable price)

It is possible?

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,647 of 6,262
would be cool if 3 things happened.

1) They ever get hibylink to show album art in the library (instead of just the active song)

2) They get iOS support working.

3) The Cayin would need to support AptX in reciever mode. (It doesn't) It only works in transmit mode. (Unless they've changed things in the new player)

1. Yup
2. Yeahh agree
3. When Cayin make small enough, we only need receiver mode Aptx for BT DAC,.. No need transmit mode Aptx, wired quality with BT convenient.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #4,648 of 6,262
waynes world said:
Thanks, and nice review!

Hope Cayin start first , HiByLink just awesome..
This idea come from experience when I had Sony MW1.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,649 of 6,262
3. When Cayin make small enough, we only need receiver mode Aptx for BT DAC,.. No need transmit mode Aptx, wired quality with BT convenient.

Yes,aptx in receive mode (rather than transmit mode) would be of more use for me as well. And the N3 is small enough now (I'd just have it in a small belt holster).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back