Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,526 of 6,262
IMG_1198.JPG
IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
Hi,

Could someone kindly point me to the latest compatible version of HiBy Link for the N3?

I have already flashed the N3 to v2.1 firmware.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Found V3.0.0 build 5350.

HiBy Music successfully installed on my Echobox Explorer, which turned up today.

Which means I can finally control my MiniRig remotely. Awesome!

In the tin goes the Cayin N3, with USB out to Chord Mojo (Cayin USB C to digital coaxial cable is on the way) then audio out to a Neco Soundlab v5 amp then out to the MiniRigs.

All controllable remotely from the Echobox Explorer via HiBy Link as long as I can get it to stay paired...

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,527 of 6,262
Hi,

Could someone kindly point me to the latest compatible version of HiBy Link for the N3?

Thanks in advance.

HiBy Music successfully installed on my Echobox Explorer, which turned up today.

In the tin goes the Cayin N3, with USB out to Chord Mojo (Cayin USB C to digital coaxial cable is on the way) then audio out to a Neco Soundlab v5 amp then out to the MiniRigs.

All controllable remotely from the Echobox Explorer via HiBy Link as long as I can get it to stay paired...

Interesting looking set-up.
Without placing the N3 in a metal box, how much range do you get with the Echobox Explorer Bluetooth, transmitting to the N3?

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,528 of 6,262
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Pairing/connectivity problems? Ya might get the N3 outside of the Faraday cage you've got it shielded in!

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,529 of 6,262
Interesting looking set-up.
Without placing the N3 in a metal box, how much range do you get with the Echobox Explorer Bluetooth, transmitting to the N3?
Thanks.
Not sure yet but I will report back. Still struggling to get them paired consistently but I am learning with the Echobox that there is a right way to navigate through most of its quirks. Still exploring, if you will.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,530 of 6,262
Pairing/connectivity problems? Ya might get the N3 outside of the Faraday cage you've got it shielded in!
Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the tip.
*goes to the back of the class*

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,531 of 6,262
Hi @Andykong,

No matter I play by folder, playlist, all songs, sequential or shuffle playback, I hear the pop sound in between of every songs. I also hear the same pop sound when I click Next to jump to the next song. I have tried with different iem and they are all giving same result.

What I do now is using low gain as the pop sound is reduced a little bit.

I mostly have PCM WAV and FLAC 44.1 khz in my N3.

Thanks.
Have the same issue with that POP noise ! Need urgent help please ! Have send PM to Cayinsupport + Andykong but no responses . Thank you very much

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,534 of 6,262
Hey everyone, I've posted some impressions from my experience with the N3 on the review tour here.
Nice review, thanks. Couldn't agree more about the aptX limitation. If I'd known about it beforehand, I would have had second thoughts about buying it. Luckily there's no DAP within $100 north of the N3 that comes close to its overall functionality, design and value proposition, so I'm glad I did.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #3,535 of 6,262
How does ReplayGain work on N3?

I dumped a large number of flac files into a folder. Connected the N3 to the car stereo and navigated to the folder. Replaygain was off. I was adjusting the volume all trip.

Does replaygain on the N3 use values in the metadata of the files or does it adjust the volume on its own?

If I select "album" replaygain, will it adjust all files in the folder or do I need to have the album tag set to the same value for all files in the folder?

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,536 of 6,262
How does ReplayGain work on N3?

I dumped a large number of flac files into a folder. Connected the N3 to the car stereo and navigated to the folder. Replaygain was off. I was adjusting the volume all trip.

Does replaygain on the N3 use values in the metadata of the files or does it adjust the volume on its own?

If I select "album" replaygain, will it adjust all files in the folder or do I need to have the album tag set to the same value for all files in the folder?

ReplayGain reads metadata, which is placed in a tag, by the encoding program.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,537 of 6,262
Hey everyone, I've posted some impressions from my experience with the N3 on the review tour here.
Very nice impressions. I don't use bluetooth, for anything, really. But if I do get Tidal, this is GREAT info!!! Thanks for the info and thanks for the shout out in the write up.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,538 of 6,262
You get the pop when changing between formats, e.g. mp3 to flac, or flac to aac . The battery thing has been discussed a lot, yet I don't recall all of it. If you search this thread for battery, you should find the info you need.
You are right ! the pop happens when change format or change resolution ! Thanks a lot to you ! Regards :darthsmile:

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #3,539 of 6,262
Talking about the pop noise i understand now , but it is still an issue because with the other Dap (Fiio Ibasso .........) there is no pop ! So i'm still waiting for the answer of Cayinsupport and Andykong . Have question for you guys : do you all have that pop with your N3 ? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back