Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 7, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #3,391 of 6,262
It's a hybrid 2-channel/multi-channel ISO. NOT pure multi-channel ISO. See attached example:

1-5 tracks are 2-channel, which are playable

open

Yes you're right it is DST encoded SACD ISO. Any possible future support of this kind of file by N3? Thanks!

Hi,due to N3 hardware limitation, it is unresolvable .Sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #3,394 of 6,262
Thanks i will do it. I had one more question. The volume on my N3 sounds less impactful and the vocals sound veiled. With the audio technica m50x i have to play music on high gain 75 to reach enjoyable levels. When connected as a DAC my laptop produces more volume on its own on vlc. I want to ask If a unit like N3 turns defective will there be a drastic noticeable change or will it behave in more subtle ways(sound more veiled). I just want to know from a concerned authority about what could be the symptoms of a sonically defective unit like N3 ?

Hi,I never try that before.But I thought if N3 is defective, it may have no sound or other symptoms I can't imagine.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3,395 of 6,262
Hi ! will have the N3 by next wednesday , and intend to use it as transport with a external Dac Amp by USB OTG , with this configuration will the N3 have fixed or variable volume control ? Thanks in advance ! PS: sorry for my English it is not my native language .

N3 has variable volume control under OTG function.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,397 of 6,262
Those of you using Linux with the N3 - how are you getting it to work as a DAC? Mine wouldn't show as an audio device, so I thought maybe I had a dodgy cable. Received new (Anker) cable today, but unfortunately the same problem.

It's listed in Alsamixer, and there's a (blank) entry for it after typing "lsusb". I've tried getting software to play directly to it, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

I'm using Linux Mint KDE at the moment.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #3,398 of 6,262
Those of you using Linux with the N3 - how are you getting it to work as a DAC? Mine wouldn't show as an audio device, so I thought maybe I had a dodgy cable. Received new (Anker) cable today, but unfortunately the same problem.

It's listed in Alsamixer, and there's a (blank) entry for it after typing "lsusb". I've tried getting software to play directly to it, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

I'm using Linux Mint KDE at the moment.

I actually had to reboot, once, (I know, right?!?) when my Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS box suddenly wouldn't recognize the N3 as a DAC.

If I recall, I ended up using a different mixer; I'll check and see what I was using, and what works now, after I get home.

--edit:

Right, so the mixer I'm using is the "PulseAudio Volume Control." Under the PLAYBACK tab, it lists "ALSA Playback on"
and
"Cayin N3 Digital Stero (IEC958)"

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #3,399 of 6,262
Aug 9, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #3,400 of 6,262
Hello once again guys,

So after updating my new Red N3 to FW 2.1, and playing a few albums on it, I have noticed that track orders for albums with 2 disc are completely messed up (when I browse by album after scanning my media library).

I use foobar to name my music files and if an album has two disc I will name it like so:

1.01 AAAAA
1.02 BBBBB
2.01 CCCCC
2.02 DDDDD

Where 1 is the disc number and .01 is the track number from that disc.

Besides that, how does the N3 sort its music? Alphabetically? When I am trying to browse my music folders in TF Card mode,
the order would be alphabetical, but then sometimes between artist with english names, my chinese or japanese artist would pop-out even though I use Chinese and Japanese Characters

Is anyone else having this issue?

Thank-you

EDIT: Added "(when I browse by album after scanning my media library)"

The reason of track orders out of sequence when browsing through albums with multiple discs is because N3 does not support discnumber as a sorting/indexing metadata item..

This is a compromise we make after lengthy discussion. The objective is to maintain a smooth operation across all routine operation, folder operation is normally straight forward, but the Music Library operation is a lot more demanding, that’s why we need to be very careful in handling read/write frequency, Library size (in terms of number of entries) and index complexity of Music Library.

For this reason, we have to set a reasonable upper limit to every feature. For example, N3 can only handle playlist up to 1000 titles, and we have also encountered the Library size issue earlier on. To response to user request in this forum, Cayin has increased file limit of Music Library from 12,000 titles to 20,000 titles (firmware v2.0), but we have explained that:

this will increase the processing loading and will take up more internal memory, the system resource is indeed a bit tight with N3, we have to be very calculative in order to offer this level of digital audio capability and sound quality at the entry level budget.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-146#post-13519872

On the other hand, adding new index field will definitely allow more flexibility to user control, but the sorting and scanning task will drain more processing power and eat up more internal memory. The situation is actually very similar to the file limit issue. If supporting discnumber in Music Library is an absolutely necessary feature, we can do it, just like what we did to the Music Library limit. Right now we have deployed most of our processing power to digital audio processing, that’s why N3 offers amazing digital audio capability (32/384, DSD256, SACD-ISO etc) at an entry level price, so if we trim down the digital audio processing slightly, maybe we can squeeze out more processing power to handle the extra index field like discnumber. We make the compromise decision during product development, but we’ll consider suggestions form user community seriously.

Before we plunge into the hot debate of to be or not to be, let me offer some quick solution.

When you extract your CD into FLAC (or whatever format that support metadata), you can renumber the tracks by embedding the disc number into the track number. For example, when you handle a single disc album, the track number should be 01, 02, 03, …. 10, 11, 12 etc. When you are dealing with a two-disc album, Disc 1 tracks should be numbered as 101, 102, 103, …110, 111, 112 etc, and disc 2 tracks should be numbered as 201, 202, 203, …210, 211, 212 etc. This will be a bit tedious if we need to renumber our complete music library again, but if you were to do this while you extract your FLAC, this should be straight forward. @fourrobert13 has proposed similar solution earlier on, and I have been doing this since I use my first DAP (yes, wrong track sorting in album view), works very well so far.

If you have a big Music Library and don’t want to fiddler with the track number, I can understand that. N3 can handle Album name and track number correct in the ID3 metadata, so the quickest way to get out of the sorting error is to edit the album name directly to include Disc01 and Disc02. The system will treat the disc1 and disc2 as two separate albums in one folder, the track numbers will not meze up again.

I hope these two solutions will resolve the problem “temporary”. As @fourrobert13 has stated that he has yet to find a DAP that does it correctly. I assume other DAP manufacturers have faced similar processing bottleneck like Cayin.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,402 of 6,262
hi guys. has anyone here heard cayin n3 with magaosi k3 pro? it's my current iem the i listen to with benjie x1 as my dap and i'm thinking of upgrading. a

I will summarize what N3 is IMO: a bit warm, but very detailed, with forward mids and sparkly highs. Above average soundstage and good instrument separation. While I haven't tried the K3 Pro, I've tried Heir Audio 10.0 (warmer signature), InEar Prophile-8 (reference signature) and iBasso IT03 and all sound great with this DAP.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #3,403 of 6,262
I actually had to reboot, once, (I know, right?!?) when my Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS box suddenly wouldn't recognize the N3 as a DAC.

If I recall, I ended up using a different mixer; I'll check and see what I was using, and what works now, after I get home.

--edit:

Right, so the mixer I'm using is the "PulseAudio Volume Control." Under the PLAYBACK tab, it lists "ALSA Playback on"
and
"Cayin N3 Digital Stero (IEC958)"

Thanks. I'm using that, and I don't recall an ALSA playback option, but I will have a proper look tonight! Are you using the (for now) standard Unity DE with Ubuntu?

Did you need to do any under the hood stuff to get the DAC listed there?

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,405 of 6,262
Need an answer to my question please ! Thanks in advance .
If you are asking can the N3 be used as a transport to an external DAC, the answer is yes. As far as the variable adjustment you ask about on the previous page, I know the line out volume is adjustable, but I am unsure if it's variable when using the USB out. I'm pretty sure the N3 bypasses the amp when using the USB out and hopefully someone will come along and confirm this. I have yet to use mine as a transport due to not having a DAC to use. Depending on your DAC, you will need an OTG cable that is USB C to whatever your DAC requires. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back