Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,361 of 6,262
Just got my N3 today and played with it a little bit. The SACD DSF play works fine. The SACD 2-channel ONLY ISO works fine. However when it comes to SACD 2-channel/multi-channel ISO it says the format not supported. I guessed it tried to play the multi-channel part (e.g. for a 4 track ISO, using a computer audio player you would see 8 tracks: the first 4 are 2-channel and the last 4 are multi-channel. 2-channel DAC won't play later 4 multi-channel tracks). Upgraded the firmware to 2.1 still not working. Any workaround for this?

Possibly try extracting 2-channel files from the multi-channel ISO?

I don't think you'll find any 2-channel (Stereo) DAP that will play multi-channel files - they just don't have the decoder chips in them.

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #3,363 of 6,262
Hiby Link still closes when establishing a connection to OnePlus 1 with LOS 7.1.2, Oneplus 5 with stock firmware, Nexus 7 2013 with LOS 7.1.2.
But it works well with XiaoMi RedMi Note 4x Global Version.
Maybe its a problem with Android 7.xx.xx or LOS with some phones.

I have a SUGESTION for a future feature:
Please add a option to set volume to 100 (maximum) when connecting a USB DAC to the N3 and then to the default value when disconnecting the USB DAC. I have to turn it all way up when connecting a USB DAC to the N3 and i almost broke some IEMs when switching from USB DAC to the headphone out because i had volume at 100 and forgot to reduce it.

Hi, many thanks for your kind suggestion. We are going to modify the digital output to native volume so there is no need to crank up the volume when you use S/PDIF or USB Audio output, and the player will fall back to the previous volume setting when the digital connection is disconnected and the player resume to headphone output.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 7, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #3,365 of 6,262
Just got my N3 today and played with it a little bit. The SACD DSF play works fine. The SACD 2-channel ONLY ISO works fine. However when it comes to SACD 2-channel/multi-channel ISO it says the format not supported. I guessed it tried to play the multi-channel part (e.g. for a 4 track ISO, using a computer audio player you would see 8 tracks: the first 4 are 2-channel and the last 4 are multi-channel. 2-channel DAC won't play later 4 multi-channel tracks). Upgraded the firmware to 2.1 still not working. Any workaround for this?

Hi, N3 doesn't support DST encapsulation files. When you referred to "SACD 2-channel/multi-channel ISO " , did you mean SACD-ISO DST encapsulation files? Could you please check your file format if possible? Thanks in advance!

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #3,366 of 6,262
I also have some crackling and pops after playing music for a while on my new 2.1 FW Cayin N3 used as a USB DAC, both with the Cayin and a much nicer cable (Aukey).
Also tried different settings on foobar etc, and on two different Win7 PCs...
Somehow when you switch files (that have different resolutions, but still hires), the problem "resets" before returning a while later.
Can this be looked at please?
ps: I get no issues with "non dac" playing.

Hi, thanks for your kind feedback! It is a chip limitation and right now unresolvable. Sorry for the inconvenience caused! I will give your feedback to our senior engineers and hope it will be improve in the next new product.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #3,368 of 6,262
Yes, if possible, please try FAT32 card. Thanks in advance!

Thanks i will do it. I had one more question. The volume on my N3 sounds less impactful and the vocals sound veiled. With the audio technica m50x i have to play music on high gain 75 to reach enjoyable levels. When connected as a DAC my laptop produces more volume on its own on vlc. I want to ask If a unit like N3 turns defective will there be a drastic noticeable change or will it behave in more subtle ways(sound more veiled). I just want to know from a concerned authority about what could be the symptoms of a sonically defective unit like N3 ?

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #3,370 of 6,262
Hi, N3 doesn't support DST encapsulation files. When you referred to "SACD 2-channel/multi-channel ISO " , did you mean SACD-ISO DST encapsulation files? Could you please check your file format if possible? Thanks in advance!
I was wondering the same thing. Many SACD ISO files contain both 2.0 and 5.1 versions. Why can't the N3 simply play the stereo version and ignore the multichannel, rather than throw up an unsupported file error? Surely that's a software bug rather than a hardware limitation? My workaround is extracting the 2.0 version as DSF files and then playing them, but it's a pain.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #3,371 of 6,262
Possibly try extracting 2-channel files from the multi-channel ISO?

I don't think you'll find any 2-channel (Stereo) DAP that will play multi-channel files - they just don't have the decoder chips in them.

It's a hybrid 2-channel/multi-channel ISO. NOT pure multi-channel ISO. See attached example:

1-5 tracks are 2-channel, which are playable

open

Yes you're right it is DST encoded SACD ISO. Any possible future support of this kind of file by N3? Thanks!

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #3,372 of 6,262
I was wondering the same thing. Many SACD ISO files contain both 2.0 and 5.1 versions. Why can't the N3 simply play the stereo version and ignore the multichannel, rather than throw up an unsupported file error? Surely that's a software bug rather than a hardware limitation? My workaround is extracting the 2.0 version as DSF files and then playing them, but it's a pain.

Thanks gLer for the comment! I feel the same way to extract the DST encoded ISO to 2-ch DSF... I did a little search and it seems only Cayin i5 claims support of DST. Not sure if Fiio X5 III or X7 does.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #3,373 of 6,262
Just played with OTG a little bit. It works with USB stick but not external hard drive. The power should be enough since N3 says "OTG plugged in" but can't find any file. Neither exFAT nor MS-DOS FAT works. Any idea of this?

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #3,374 of 6,262
Just played with OTG a little bit. It works with USB stick but not external hard drive. The power should be enough since N3 says "OTG plugged in" but can't find any file. Neither exFAT nor MS-DOS FAT works. Any idea of this?
I think there's a limitation on using OTG with external drives (even USB powered drives) because they consume too much power for the N3. SSD drives might work, but I haven't tried it to confirm. You may be in luck if you can find a USB splitter cable that provides the drive with enough power while connected to the N3, but that's a bit clunky. at least we get OTG support - most players, certainly in this price range, don't have it.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #3,375 of 6,262
Thanks gLer for the comment! I feel the same way to extract the DST encoded ISO to 2-ch DSF... I did a little search and it seems only Cayin i5 claims support of DST. Not sure if Fiio X5 III or X7 does.
The Fiio players don't support DST either according to Fiio. If the N3 spits out my ISOs I convert them to DSF using Sonore's ISO2DSF utility, making sure to check 'Convert DST to DSD'. Still, I keep the multichannel ISOs to play through Audirvana on my Mac mini connected to my 7.2 AVR - some incredible 5.0/5.1 SACDs like Dark Side of the Moon and Avalon need to be heard in surround to appreciate the mix.

PS. As a sidenote, I've started A/B-ing the differences (if any) between the N3's native DSD decoding (as a USB DAC) and Audirvana's software decoding. To be honest, either I can't tell the difference, or in some cases prefer Audirvana's decoding, which makes me think native SACD support isn't such a big deal after all. Maybe on better equipment (and with better ears!) I'd be able to tell the difference, but then again given the complaints coming through about the N3's limitations as a USB DAC, it's probably best left to Audirvana (and my non-DSD-capable DAC) anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back