Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 15, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #2,986 of 6,262
Why does the N3 start to create cracking/popping noise when on usb dac after a while and then disconnects and then says usb unrecognized device until I restart the computer ? Is it a power issue ? I've tried all usb dacs mode including slowest/safest and I've tried with 2 computers straight from USB motherboard, same thing. Any ideas ?

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #2,987 of 6,262
Playlists created on the smartphone while HiByLink is on are stored on the N3, so you can use the playlist independently of the phone after you created the playlist.

I'll skip your PM as you are asking the same question. The N3 community on HeadFi is extremely friendly and helpful, you can fire your questions here, I might not be able to respond to PM promptly but a lot of N3 experts are willing to help anytime. :beerchug:

Thank you very much Mr. Kong! That's the last thing I needed before I purchased. Do you guys have a recommended retailer from the UK or shall I just get it where I can find it? Also, can you, or anybody, describe the issue when trying to connect to Windows 10 and possibly link me to the fix? Cheers.

Ps. After reading the forum for a while, it's clear to see how friendly and helpful people on Head-Fi are, in particular the N3 forum. No doubt I'll be back to post my (uninformed) thoughts on the N3 and to ask for help when I inevitably run into trouble!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #2,988 of 6,262
No, firmware update won't change the sound of our product, unless we are working on something that will involve the audio algorithm or manipulate the power management service.

Thanks, i had one more question - Can playing loud music through headphone damage the internal amp or the internal headphone output on the Cayin N3? i was playing DSF/DSD files at high gain at volume 65 with the audio technica m50x?

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,989 of 6,262
Thanks, i had one more question - Can playing loud music through headphone damage the internal amp or the internal headphone output on the Cayin N3? i was playing DSF/DSD files at high gain at volume 65 with the audio technica m50x?

It won't damage the DAP, but it will damage your hearing. I have hearing loss and tinnitus from listening to music too loud, and I can tell you that it sucks.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,990 of 6,262
I'd be more worried about the loud volume damaging the ear than the amp or DAP :confused:

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,991 of 6,262
Can anyone tell me how the N3 handles pause and resume on music and podcasts? Is there a sleep function so that play resumes at the point where you stop listening?

I'm also having trouble finding a case for sale in the UK. Anyone know where to get them?

Cheers

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,992 of 6,262
But guys so that your aware, Cayin and other manufacturers will often push an update for the firmware out that does improve the quality of the audio, while the hardware in different daps may be different, their firmware is unique to each and does change how that hardware operates, not to mention the quality of everything else.

Oh boy, yea songs about farm equipment... I like that description of country music! Although... I once knew a girl... she really did think my tractor was sexy! I also prefer local playback to streaming as well, but streaming is helpful for when I'm driving. The output on both of my DAPs is too much for my Car's Stero. I literally have no volume control, and I prefer not to double amp, so CD's and Napster streaming are worth while. That and some streaming is nice when the wife and I are cleaning around the house. I've only got Blutooth speakers atm

Yea... musical diversity was a gift from my child hood. My actual father was a musician alongside his brother, they enjoyed a lot of classic rock. Though as I kid there was a Record shop I would hang out in while my mother finished her shift at work, so I'd get to listen to a lot of different stuff with the owner of said shop. I only remember Jazz, but knowing him he introduced me to a few other genres. An my grandfather like'd bluegrass... so go figure

An mhm, I saw Sony's launch of the LDAC as a dongle for one of their IEMs it appears to have MMC connectors and will source/amp anything that accepts an MMC connection, which is really exciting

Yeah Sony is really trying to push LDAC and it can be quite good. My biggest issue with LDAC is it is a real battery hog and sucks my
"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
"Oh we got both kinds here. We got Country and Western."

Yeah first country bar I went to in St Louis there was a live band. I asked my friend so is this country or is it western music. his reply, "well if he's singing about a woman it's country, if he's singing about his combine harvester it's western. If he's singing about a woman riding a combine harvester then you got Country and Western." Yee Haw!!!

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,993 of 6,262
Why does the N3 start to create cracking/popping noise when on usb dac after a while and then disconnects and then says usb unrecognized device until I restart the computer ? Is it a power issue ? I've tried all usb dacs mode including slowest/safest and I've tried with 2 computers straight from USB motherboard, same thing. Any ideas ?
The included cable is the problem. I ( and many others) have had ongoing problems in both DAC and USB mode. Anker sells a 3-pack of cables on Amazon for about $13 USD; your connection problems will disappear

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,994 of 6,262
I think the included cable needs to be address by Cayin. There is no reason for people to have to spend additional money for a cable when the one supplied with the unit should work. My supplied cable is only good for charging the unit and nothing else which has caused me to spend more money for an additional cable which is just BS. These additional purchases defeat the purpose of an entry level DAP IMO. They made cables for users to take advantage of the USB out function, yet can't supply a working charging/data cable with the unit. It just gets under my skin a little when something as simple as this could be avoided.

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #2,995 of 6,262
I think the included cable needs to be address by Cayin. There is no reason for people to have to spend additional money for a cable when the one supplied with the unit should work. My supplied cable is only good for charging the unit and nothing else which has caused me to spend more money for an additional cable which is just BS. These additional purchases defeat the purpose of an entry level DAP IMO. They made cables for users to take advantage of the USB out function, yet can't supply a working charging/data cable with the unit. It just gets under my skin a little when something as simple as this could be avoided.
I surely don't disagree. Just pointing out you can make the pain go away for about four dollars. If it helps, you could think of it like modding inexpensive headphones

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #2,996 of 6,262
Huh I hadn't tried another USB Cable, but I'll do that now. If it only charges that is... less than optimal

Jul 15, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #2,997 of 6,262
I have a question regarding the line out feature. When enabling this option, it is mentioned that it will use the DAP's max volume setting, does this setting default to the actual Max setting in the device does it change it to whatever fixed setting you've changed it to? (If you've changed the fix setting at all)

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,998 of 6,262
I have a question regarding the line out feature. When enabling this option, it is mentioned that it will use the DAP's max volume setting, does this setting default to the actual Max setting in the device does it change it to whatever fixed setting you've changed it to? (If you've changed the fix setting at all)
It maxes out the volume on the N3. Proceed with caution...

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,999 of 6,262
I surely don't disagree. Just pointing out you can make the pain go away for about four dollars. If it helps, you could think of it like modding inexpensive headphones
Yep - it'll probably cost you more in return postage to get a decent cable from Cayin, so I'm afraid this is one of those things you'll just have to swallow. Not a good look for Cayin, but hopefully a learning experience for future products.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,000 of 6,262
Lest new readers think *all* the original cables are wonky, I'll reiterate that my cable works fine. Charges fast (using Samsung 2.0A charger) or slow (using USB-2 from the computer), transfers data, and allows the N3 to operate as an external DAC. No issues. Just sayin'. :ok_hand:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back