Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 3, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,746 of 6,262
Well in that case even a Rockboxed N3 without the Hibylink would be interesting, as it would bring tons of new settings (when i look at my Sansa clip i only use it with rockbox as it brings such improvement compared to the stock software)
Without copying Hibylink, using the bluetooth fonction and writing an app (not the most important to me) for a rockboxed device can be done without risking any legal troubles (at least i believe so, i'm not a lawyer).

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,748 of 6,262
What would you expect from rockbox that you don't already have with the stock firmware?
A lot of things... (and i don't talk about playing SuperMario on a DAP

even if it's amazing what people can achieve once you let them do what they want with the hardware)
I'd be able to change the font, its size, its scrolling speed, the location of the scrolling bar, the equalizer (one of the most complete i've ever seen) and more...

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #2,749 of 6,262
I picked up a little Cash Stash capsule that fits on my keychain while out this weekend and it comes packed in a plastic water-tight container with a hinge and o-ring at the top. Today while goofing around I found that the box would fit my N3 with a pair of IEMs so I can carry them while out on the river next trip. If any of you have an interest the company that makes the little tools is True Utility and the thing cost me $8 I think. The container the tool came in is probably worth that if it protects my N3 from water damage. Pic is of one of their other little tools to show case as I cant connect phone at work.

1460727320-56640300.png

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #2,750 of 6,262
I picked up a little Cash Stash capsule that fits on my keychain while out this weekend and it comes packed in a plastic water-tight container with a hinge and o-ring at the top. Today while goofing around I found that the box would fit my N3 with a pair of IEMs so I can carry them while out on the river next trip. If any of you have an interest the company that makes the little tools is True Utility and the thing cost me $8 I think. The container the tool came in is probably worth that if it protects my N3 from water damage. Pic is of one of their other little tools to show case as I cant connect phone at work.

so cool.gif

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,751 of 6,262
A lot of things... (and i don't talk about playing SuperMario on a DAP

even if it's amazing what people can achieve once you let them do what they want with the hardware)
I'd be able to change the font, its size, its scrolling speed, the location of the scrolling bar, the equalizer (one of the most complete i've ever seen) and more...

You don't need Rockbox - you can already customize most of the interface, including backgrounds, text strings and even fonts/font sizes...but you have to be a Linux wiz like @XVortex to do so. Unless Cayin decides to give us a tool to edit our own themes/resources (like they did for the N5), there's not much hope of anyone customizing this versatile little player without a hack :frowning2:

Jul 3, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,752 of 6,262
You don't need Rockbox - you can already customize most of the interface, including backgrounds, text strings and even fonts/font sizes...but you have to be a Linux wiz like @XVortex to do so. Unless Cayin decides to give us a tool to edit our own themes/resources (like they did for the N5), there's not much hope of anyone customizing this versatile little player without a hack :frowning2:

I just want to be able to turn off all the scrolly stuff; I already know what artist and album I'm listening to...I want to know the title (and maybe the next song coming up -- another Rockbox feature). It would also be cool if the song parameters (bit-rate, bit-depth, etc.) where shown only when the song was paused...again, à la Rockbox.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2,753 of 6,262

I've seen a lot of water proof containers for wallets etc that went for a lot more than $8. I found this one at a Home & Garden supply store but I suspect hardware stores and similar are likely to carry them as well. Amazon has the one I got as well for $7.23 if you cant find them locally.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007N0WKK8

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #2,754 of 6,262
I just want to be able to turn off all the scrolly stuff; I already know what artist and album I'm listening to...I want to know the title (and maybe the next song coming up -- another Rockbox feature). It would also be cool if the song parameters (bit-rate, bit-depth, etc.) where shown only when the song was paused...again, à la Rockbox.
Ah, that's a bit more difficult to do, even if you manage to hack the firmware. Those functions require actual coding. Seriously though, the N3 is an amazing little player and I doubt you're going to get Cayin to open it up to Rockbox. To be able to customise it more easily would be nice, but that's about all we can ask for I reckon. Put in some feature requests with @Andykong - he's a nice guy and you never know what could be coming down the line in future revisions.

Jul 4, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #2,755 of 6,262
i am like Riffrafff, what i want is more functional (equalizer very detailed, show next song and rate etc) even if the cosmetics (change font size etc.) could be done with some Linux wiz (but i'm just a very demanding consumer... the font is real small though, and Cayin shouldn't make me feel old :grin:)

For the hacking/legal solution, when you see the list of rockboxed devices you understand by the number of ipods that they usually get what they want (and i don't think Apple shared anything with them).
So we are hoping for some enthusiasm coming from Rockbox team, that they decide to work on the N3 (and with its potential it would really deserve a Rockbox treatment).
Cayin should and must improve their software, but no doubt a second boot with Rockbox wouldn't hurt them at all ( the other way actually, like Jay Freeman's Cydia improved the iphone experience), and Cayin would have like a free laboratory to pick up new ideas/implementations.

If i may suggest something to AndyKong: an easier way to add a song to the playlists, on rockbox you press the central key and select your folder with up-down (Cayin scrolling is not that easy even if i like that contextual menu for High Gain etc. but adding a song to the playlist on the go is way more used as a fonction and should be done in 2 clicks without concentrating on the scrolling gestures...imho)

I must precise that i really love the N3, and that's why i insist on its potential and recommend it as much as i can.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #2,756 of 6,262
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,757 of 6,262
Jul 4, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2,758 of 6,262
Ugh...sorry, I'm not one for Rockbox. Every device and theme I've seen running it looks like an 8th grader laid out the interface - absolutely no sense of design aesthetics. In my opinon, the N3 is perfect as it is. I don't need Bluetooth, remote control, streaming, or themes. It's a small, cheap device that sounds great, has a good screen which already looks good, and is bug free. I drop a big card loaded with FLAC files, plug in a set of IEMs, and stuff it into a pocket. Cayin's tuning of the hardware and interface layout is more than sufficient, minus the one request I'd have of starting the Category view on Artist instead of Songs (or remembering the last category chosen or an option for the user to choose which item to start Category view on).

If anything, somebody should go Rockbox a Fiio X1-II and help them get the bugs out of their OS.

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #2,759 of 6,262
You're right. Rockbox is good for those players that has lack of firmware features or has a stock firmware flaws (like a xduoo x3, fiio x1ii, etc). With rockbox you will be unable to play hi-res, drop bt functions (hiby link etc)...
So for all hiby-music based devices rockbox just a "toy" but not a good os alternative.
(anyway, rockbox is being porting right now to similar player - agptek rocker - by Marcin Bukat (wodz) and from there can be easily ported to other x1000 linux-based players

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,760 of 6,262
Hi everyone,
I just received my N3 today and so far I'm very happy about the sound and UI. However, there's one problem. With sensitive IEMs (I've tried IE80 and SE535), I can hear a clear background hiss, which can get annoying in quiet environments.
Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?
Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back