Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 24, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,561 of 6,262
DBaldock,

If I recall you also have the M1.  Thoughts on the M1 vs. the N3?

I am looking forward to a shootout of the Shanling M1, M2, M2s, and the Cayin N3.    Somehow I am guessing the Cayin will have a similar sound signature to the M2s.  So it may come down to preferred user interface.   The Cayin does play native ISO files, which is a cool feature for me.

I am currently in Red - Black with the LZ-A4.   I find these are like a version of the Lz-A2 but on steroids.  Similar low end; much better high end.  For the money they rock; but I still think the FLC8S is a step up; but that step up comes at a price.

I would choose N3 over M2s, no matter how M2s looks nice. The 4.8 ohm output impedance of M2s is a deal breaker for me. Especially when you try low impedance iems like FLC8s.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #1,565 of 6,262
I would choose N3 over M2s, no matter how M2s looks nice. The 4.8 ohm output impedance of M2s is a deal breaker for me. Especially when you try low impedance iems like FLC8s.

Well, sometime in the next few weeks, when the M2s is shipped & received, I'll be able to compare its sound to my N3 - using various 12Ω - 32Ω earphones, and 16Ω - 500Ω earbuds - to find out how much audible difference in Bass impact & quality the higher output impedance makes.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #1,566 of 6,262

Well, sometime in the next few weeks, when the M2s is shipped & received, I'll be able to compare its sound to my N3 - using various 12Ω - 32Ω earphones, and 16Ω - 500Ω earbuds - to find out how much audible difference in Bass impact & quality the higher output impedance makes.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of N3 vs M2s, but it's the hybrids and multi-BA IEM you've really got to worry about. I can (and will) measure both types of IEM with the two DAPs and report back with my findings. That way, people will have concrete, objective data on which to base their decisions. That said, I do ultimately agree with Holypal and much prefer DAPs with lots OI.

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,567 of 6,262
So I finally got the Cayin branded USB-C to coax cable from MusicTeck yesterday. It's a very nice cable, exponentially better than the other cable Andrew was selling before these came in. Anyone looking for it should not hesitate to call MusicTeck.

When comparing the coax vs the USB when using the N3 as a transport to my Lake People DAC, I didn't really find them to be all that different sounding but I did uncover some weirdness. Both allow you to use volume and EQ on the N3 but the USB seems to disable the gain setting at the highest level while you can still use all 3 gain settings on the coax. There would be no reason to use any other setting but high though since it's too quiet unless it's on high.

I guess we are still unclear about what kind of signal is coming out of the N3 to the DAC. I'm not complaining, it still sounds quite good, just nowhere near the level of how my cd transport sounds.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #1,568 of 6,262
The pre-tour unit arrived for Pinky's safekeeping. I'll be running it through some burn-in for a few days, at least.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,569 of 6,262
The pre-tour unit arrived for Pinky's safekeeping. I'll be running it through some burn-in for a few days, at least.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,571 of 6,262
Could the N3 be used as external dac/amp for iphone? I read about wireless connectivity, but whats about using a lightening to USB-C cable:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

It would work connected with this cable? so it could be better than another dacs who actually has to use the CCK dongle

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #1,572 of 6,262
Acording to Cayin it doesnt, but it also say its not compatible with android usb audio but i kinda managed it to work with USB Audio Player PRO alltough with lots of breaks. I'll try to mess with USBAPP to see if I can make it work without the breaks.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,575 of 6,262
Could the N3 be used as external dac/amp for iphone? I read about wireless connectivity, but whats about using a lightening to USB-C cable:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0X2AM/A/usb-c-to-lightning-cable-1-m

It would work connected with this cable? so it could be better than another dacs who actually has to use the CCK dongle

I don't think you can get USB Audio bitstream out of iphone Lighting directly, from what we tested, this can't be done without a CKK dongle.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back