Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 23, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,534 of 6,262
  Very nice DAP, have it for 5 days. But for me it lacks emotion. I cannot dive fully into the music. Is it me or anyone also noticed it?
P.S. I listen to it with my LZ-A4 IEMs. 

Today, I've been listening to my LZ A4 IEMs connected to my Cayin N3, using an Impact Audio Cables 3.5mm TRS Plug -to- 2.5mm TRRS Jack Adapter, and an Impact Audio Cables 2.5mm TRRS -to- MMCX cable.

My N3 mostly has FLAC rips of my CDs, and I've been listening to the acoustic music of Owain Phyfe & The New World Renaissance Band [ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwl94yOHslQO9jghXP7u2EQ/videos ] and the Progressive Rock of Iona [ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTIW3nfjc3lM5vmDzIUhmQ/videos ].

I've been using the Black Backs / Gray Nozzles on my A4 for a month or so, and this morning I switched to the Red Backs.  (On my Onkyo DP-X1, I have some Bass boost applied using Viper4Android, so the Bass with the Black Backs sounds right.)  With the combination of Red Backs / Gray Nozzles, my music sounds good, listening to the N3.  Which back / front filters are you using?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #1,537 of 6,262
How does the N3 compare to the Shanling M2?

I haven't heard the original M2, but I've just ordered the M2s.
bigsmile_face.gif
  (I like the knob/wheel interface on my M1, and thought I'd try the next model up, which includes Line Out.)

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,538 of 6,262
I feel like this thread just took a trip to Oregon. Or maybe Colorado. LOLZ!!!

Wait a minute… aren't you already in Oregon
blink.gif

That post just reminded me of a pharmaceutical commercial… "I used to have treble sensitivity until my doctor recommended Shrill-B-Gone"
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,540 of 6,262
DBaldock,

If I recall you also have the M1.  Thoughts on the M1 vs. the N3?

I am looking forward to a shootout of the Shanling M1, M2, M2s, and the Cayin N3.    Somehow I am guessing the Cayin will have a similar sound signature to the M2s.  So it may come down to preferred user interface.   The Cayin does play native ISO files, which is a cool feature for me.

I am currently in Red - Black with the LZ-A4.   I find these are like a version of the Lz-A2 but on steroids.  Similar low end; much better high end.  For the money they rock; but I still think the FLC8S is a step up; but that step up comes at a price.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #1,542 of 6,262
  DBaldock,

If I recall you also have the M1.  Thoughts on the M1 vs. the N3?

I am looking forward to a shootout of the Shanling M1, M2, M2s, and the Cayin N3.    Somehow I am guessing the Cayin will have a similar sound signature to the M2s.  So it may come down to preferred user interface.   The Cayin does play native ISO files, which is a cool feature for me.

I am currently in Red - Black with the LZ-A4.   I find these are like a version of the Lz-A2 but on steroids.  Similar low end; much better high end.  For the money they rock; but I still think the FLC8S is a step up; but that step up comes at a price.

Since I got the M1 last Fall, when it was first available, I'm more familiar with its UI (hardware & software).
After using the N3 for a couple of weeks, I can say I like the higher power output (150mW vs 35mW) for driving higher impedance loads, but even the M1 does OK with the levels I listen at.  
The sound of the M1 & N3, is very similar - as far as I can tell - but I haven't done any rigorous level-matched comparisons.

I do like the line output of the N3, for driving external amps, but I think I prefer the knob/wheel interface of the M1 (hence why I ordered a M2s).

I was thinking of switching back to the LZ A4 Black Nozzles this morning, but decided to stick with Gray for a while longer, with the Red Backs.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #1,543 of 6,262

Today, I've been listening to my LZ A4 IEMs connected to my Cayin N3, using an Impact Audio Cables 3.5mm TRS Plug -to- 2.5mm TRRS Jack Adapter, and an Impact Audio Cables 2.5mm TRRS -to- MMCX cable.

My N3 mostly has FLAC rips of my CDs, and I've been listening to the acoustic music of Owain Phyfe & The New World Renaissance Band [ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwl94yOHslQO9jghXP7u2EQ/videos ] and the Progressive Rock of Iona [ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwTIW3nfjc3lM5vmDzIUhmQ/videos ].

I've been using the Black Backs / Gray Nozzles on my A4 for a month or so, and this morning I switched to the Red Backs.  (On my Onkyo DP-X1, I have some Bass boost applied using Viper4Android, so the Bass with the Black Backs sounds right.)  With the combination of Red Backs / Gray Nozzles, my music sounds good, listening to the N3.  Which back / front filters are you using?

I'm using Red back and Black front filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back