Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 29, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #676 of 6,262

It doesn't give me the option to enter a code at all. I scan, find the house, try to connect and get the error. My apple devices ask me for the code after tying to connect so I figure that's what the N3 would do but it doesn't. No idea how to enter the code 1st.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #677 of 6,262
  So I don't seem to have the EQ bug but I did just run in to something I wanted to run by everyone that has the N3:

I had no problem connecting to Bluetooth in my car and my motorcycle helmet but when I try to connect to the bluetooth system on my house, I always get a Connection Failed message. No such message when I use mine or my wife's iPhone so I know it's the N3. The only thing I can think of is that the house requires a code to pair with. I'm wondering if the N3 is returning an error because the code is required and it somehow the N3 isn't receiving the message. So my question to anyone out there that has the N3 is-did you ever try to connect BT to a device that needs a code?

Sorry, can't help there. I don't do anything with Bluetooth...

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #678 of 6,262
So, I ordered an N3 early Monday morning, despite my misgivings about the equalizer not working with line-out. 
frown.gif
  Should be here tomorrow. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #682 of 6,262
My sons N3 arrived yesterday. He is very pleased with it. I also had a play and think it is great value.

Also had issue that I couldn't get custom eq to work.

My son also had a strange issue when he was browsing folders that one folder appeared on the screen multiple times (about 8 or more). I couldn't replicate the issue though.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #683 of 6,262
  If it's neutral sounding like posted then you will near the true nature of the IEMs. Just wait to see if it has noise with IEMs?

I can't speak to all IEM's but the ones I'm using (Tennmark Dulcimer, Narmoo S1), listening to Beethoven symphonies, 16/44 FLAC (lots of silences), there is dead silence, each section (string, woodwind, percussion, etc.) is well-represented spatially, and plenty of micro-detail in solo instruments.

Mar 30, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #684 of 6,262
Basic question...tried (for a few minutes this morning) to copy over music from my Mac.  Mac didn't seem to recognize it (I did charge it up last night).  Should just be plug and play, copy over into new drive, correct?  Will spend some more time on it this evening, probably just need to turn off and on again.  

To follow up on another question, is this the card to use:  SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010Q57S62/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

Any formatting required?  If so, what format and how?

I believe other Mac expert has provide useful answers for the file management function with your Mac. I have zero experience with Mac, so I won't pretend that I know anything about that. :D

N3 can work with exFAT, NTFS and FAT32, but for 128GB microSD card, we recommend you to format the card in exFAT. I believe most, if not all, 128GB microSD card will be pre-formated into exFAT already.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 30, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #685 of 6,262
I'd personally want a feature like this for listening to podcasts. But I'm not expecting anything like this to be implemented in this specific DAP line.

Has anyone who currently owns this device tested it on a 256 GB card?  I'm not expecting you to have the card filled up, what I would like to know is how well does it perform when thousands of songs are in storage?

We do not have any plan to support Podcasts with N3, and the chance that we can do this within the current N3 framework is very unlikely. Sorry for disappointing you upfront, we don't want to create any false hope to start with.

N3 can handle 25GB cards, we have tested it at early stage of product development.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #688 of 6,262
Does the N3 have any internal storage?

Duh...this is why I can't see it when I plug it in..no card yet.  I thought I had 32GB internal to play with (seems like most players do?).  My fault, but still disappointed...

If I remember it right, N3 has 8GB internal storage but that's for system usage only, we don't open then internal storage to users, strictly system only.

N3 used eMMC for internal memory, they are more expensive then microSD card with similar capacity, 32MB internal memory for $150 DAP will be unlikely.

ebay had a 1 day site-wide flash coupon of $15 which seems to have ended just now. And I ordered my N3 yesterday :frowning2: Oh well....

Regarding the microSD card, I just ordered a Samsung EVO Select Micro SDHC Memory Card & not the Pro version. Would this be sufficient for a DAP like the N3? I heard that higher write speeds of the pro version are only useful if higher write speeds are needed, for example, while recording a 4K video.

Some of my friends swear they can hear the different and prefer the faster microSD cards, I can't and I stick with reliability and dollar per GB calculation. I'll go for Class10 cards as they offer reasonable read/write speed,. but I won't pay for the ultra-fast cards for DAPs. its a personal compromise on price performance that I can accommodate.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #689 of 6,262
Agreed! 

I also wanted to add that it can also provide adequate power to my ZMF Vibro II planar headphones. I definitely didn't buy it specifically for this purpose but I am surprised by the volume you can get through the ZMFs with the high gain setting.

Which version of ZMF Vibro II are you using? Purple heart? Rusted Zebra? Show us a picture of this combo please, I am sure this is not a combination that we can expect for a small DAP like N3. I am surprised by your comment as well. Can N3 deliver a reasonable soundstage out of the Vibro II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back