Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #1,216 of 6,262
  I'm getting the weirdest thing, it's losing battery life just sitting powered on but idle. No music playing. from 100 to 91% sitting on my desk while i was out at the gym for 2 hours.

Might have to do a factory reset and re-update it or something. I don't recall this kind of idle battery drain last week before the update.

Ok...I've noticed that too. I charged mine up to 100% (lights solid) the other night from 52%, unplugged it, and went to bed. The next morning it as at 92%.

Before v1.1, it would be at either 100% or 99% in the morning at most. Hmmm.

I didn't want to mention anything about it until I've had a chance to complete discharge the battery and let it cycle back to 100%, as LiOn battery meters aren't always the most accurate until they've been cycled through the full range.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,218 of 6,262
So im getting some weird behavior, and I have a bad suspicion that it could be a hardware issue. Basically, when using the physical next track button, it doesnt register the button press sometimes. Just started happening all of a sudden. Seems if I press it slightly at an angle that can trigger it to work, or if I push harder it seems to work. Then again sometimes a normal press works fine, but it seems like there is no consistency there. Ugh, only had this thing for a day.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,219 of 6,262
  This is the way a battery should behave. If you want an explanation, there is a detailed article here

Actually, this is NOT how a battery should behave. I've designed my share of LiOn chargers. 

It's either the capacity meter adjusting from the battery that is still forming, or it's a drain because the processor isn't going to a sleep state.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,221 of 6,262
  You compile your own kernel or using a pre-cooked distro?

Both. As an enterprise Linux/UN*X sys-admin for the last couple decades, I can't really get too far away from it, lol.  

I'm simply stubborn, having grown up (arguable!) in the Richard Stallman/Alan Cox/Eric Raymond era. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #1,222 of 6,262

Both. As an enterprise Linux/UN*X sys-admin for the last couple decades, I can't really get too far away from it, lol.  

I'm simply stubborn, having grown up (arguable!) in the Richard Stallman/Alan Cox/Eric Raymond era. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #1,223 of 6,262

very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't feel bad, I started out in System III and went to VAX, then Alpha. I even had an AS/400 at my house back in the day!

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,224 of 6,262
  Ok, so I thought it was me at first. The 1.0 firmware seemed to last a lot longer on battery life and I've noticed that it does drop quicker, though not as quick as you (unless I'm playing DSD, which nukes the battery). It's probably a trade off in processing for the Replaygain and other performance tweaks. 

For me, it's not an issue at all, the battery life is still very reasonable for the size, performance, and quality!

I listened to my N3 today at work for at least six hours; the files were all FLAC, in line-out mode, and a time-out of one hour (it never shut down).  Battery capacity read 75% when I left work ( FW v1.1).  

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,225 of 6,262
Well I need to give mine a good test. It's dropping about 8-9% every 2 hours just sitting powered on idle. Don't know how much of that is battery being burned up vs. just displayed funny by the OS.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,227 of 6,262
Regarding the battery life, my N3 does something weird. After I charge it to 100%, as soon as I unplug it, within a minute or less, it decreases to 98%. This happens even if I do not use it to play music.

I did some highly unscientific testing of the battery life before and after the 1.1 update. I tested it with my 16 Ω  IEM at 50 % volume at low gain setting & bluetooth off.  I got the same result both times. It took 1 hour for the battery level to drop from 98% to 91%. So, it might probably last about 13 hours on a complete charge. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #1,228 of 6,262
Another thing...I've had to reduce the size of my album art; the N3 cannot apparently handle jpegs greater than 900x900 or so.  Not sure if it's a dimension issue, or overall file size.

And as long as I'm here,
biggrin.gif

"Things I miss:"

1) Next (upcoming) song preview (ala Rockbox).   I miss this more than I would have suspected.  Very convenient.

2) User-changeable themes.  Again, this may be a Rockbox prejudice, but...it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

3) An easier/quicker way to initiate playback options, ala repeat/random/etc.

*EDIT*
Oh, yeah.  A nice leather case (I loved my iRiver H300 case) would be kick-ass. 
L3000.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #1,229 of 6,262
  Ok...I've noticed that too. I charged mine up to 100% (lights solid) the other night from 52%, unplugged it, and went to bed. The next morning it as at 92%.

Before v1.1, it would be at either 100% or 99% in the morning at most. Hmmm.

I didn't want to mention anything about it until I've had a chance to complete discharge the battery and let it cycle back to 100%, as LiOn battery meters aren't always the most accurate until they've been cycled through the full range.

That's odd.  I charged mine last night...this morning it's at 100% (v1.1).  

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,230 of 6,262
  Well I need to give mine a good test. It's dropping about 8-9% every 2 hours just sitting powered on idle. Don't know how much of that is battery being burned up vs. just displayed funny by the OS.

I decided yesterday to test it out. I took a lab bench supply, dialed in 5.000v@2.000a and charged it to 100%, waited until the light went solid and the monitored power source showed current cutoff, then unplugged it yesterday. I then waited an hour and it was down at 97%.

I then ran it down until it shut down from low battery, plugged it back in to the monitored source, and let it charge until the light went solid + current cutoff. I unplugged it and let it sit overnight.

Fired it up this morning and it's at 99%, which is where I expected it to be. Looks like it's not an issue with the unit, but rather just the battery calibrating it's monitor.

I've noticed that if you have the Idle Shutdown set high (mine was at 1 hour), it does drain a noticeable amount while you are paused and it's idling. Setting the Idle Shutdown to a lower number allows it to turn "completely off" faster and reduce idle consumption. The tradeoff is that if you walk away for that time, you have to wait for the boot sequence again.

The X1-II has a "deep sleep" mode that kicks in when not playing to conserve battery and allow return from standby quickly. The X1-II, when in the deep-sleep, has a different wake up sequence (no splash screen, just spin wait for a second or two). I'm pretty sure the N3 doesn't have a deep sleep standby and just waits for the Idle Shutdown time to be reached and then powers off; it always requires booting with the same sequence (splash screen).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back