Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Apr 11, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #1,201 of 6,262
I agree, it's really well constructed and has no case movement, flex, or creaks. Yet, it feels like an empty aluminum pop can with leather coaster attached. Then you have the Fiio X1-II, which feels hefty and solid with nice rounded edges, but runs like crap in comparison to the N3 (as of current firmware).

I know which one I'd choose. Oh wait I already did!
Yes Fiio really have let their customers down with regards to shoddy software and few updates. That's why I made the switch to Cayin.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,202 of 6,262
What kind of battery life is everyone getting? I'm dropping down to ~80% or so in one album (45 mins) on low gain at 45 volume. I actually dont remember the published playback time of this thing, given how light it is i can't expect too big a battery

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,203 of 6,262
I know which one I'd choose. Oh wait I already did!
Yes Fiio really have let their customers down with regards to shoddy software and few updates. That's why I made the switch to Cayin.

Yep I've got the x5 3 and it seems to have a ton of bugs. I haven't had any problems but I only have 1 card in it with about 5000 songs. To their credit they have been releasing firmware very quickly.

I'm excited to try a Cayin product though, I've had ibasso, astel and kern, cowon, opus 1, and fiio stuff. I would have got the I5 but like I said I'm weird and I like smaller daps. Fiio x5 3 is about the biggest size I would go.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,205 of 6,262
The clear advantage with the Plenue D is the playback time. Aside from that I'm struggling to justify it.

I like how active Cayin are on the forums and I really like that the N3 is released with a UI that works well, lag free and no major bugs or glitches. I find it shocking that so many players costing hundreds, or even a thousand dollars plus are released with just barely beta quality UI. 

The thing does go on forever, but the output is lower- it's got a codec that includes an integrated headphone amp. I can't be arsed to look up the output, but its weaker than the N3. Also if you get a lot of songs on it it scrolls really slow. Just like AK jr.

Like I said it has no LO, gain control, filter settings, no USB DAC, no Bluetooth, but it does have cowons awesome eq/ jet effects. I would have kept it if I didn't have the x3 2nd gen at the time. The fiio had a better base sound and the D sounded digital and congested compared to it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #1,206 of 6,262
Yep I've got the x5 3 and it seems to have a ton of bugs. I haven't had any problems but I only have 1 card in it with about 5000 songs. To their credit they have been releasing firmware very quickly.

I'm excited to try a Cayin product though, I've had ibasso, astel and kern, cowon, opus 1, and fiio stuff. I would have got the I5 but like I said I'm weird and I like smaller daps. Fiio x5 3 is about the biggest size I would go.

Yes, they've been releasing firmware for the X5-III like crazy...and completely ignoring the X1-II, even though it came first!

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,207 of 6,262
I agree, it's really well constructed and has no case movement, flex, or creaks. Yet, it feels like an empty aluminum pop can with leather coaster attached. Then you have the Fiio X1-II, which feels hefty and solid with nice rounded edges, but runs like crap in comparison to the N3 (as of current firmware).

Maybe fiio put a hunk of lead inside to add some heft, ha ha.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,208 of 6,262
What kind of battery life is everyone getting? I'm dropping down to ~80% or so in one album (45 mins) on low gain at 45 volume. I actually dont remember the published playback time of this thing, given how light it is i can't expect too big a battery

Ok, so I thought it was me at first. The 1.0 firmware seemed to last a lot longer on battery life and I've noticed that it does drop quicker, though not as quick as you (unless I'm playing DSD, which nukes the battery). It's probably a trade off in processing for the Replaygain and other performance tweaks. 

For me, it's not an issue at all, the battery life is still very reasonable for the size, performance, and quality!

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,209 of 6,262
Maybe fiio put a hunk of lead inside to add some heft, ha ha.

The X1-II has a unibody construction, probably milled from a solid block of aluminum and the front glass glued on. It is probably a fairly thick body to prevent torquing so that the glass stays in place and doesn't get shear stress. I like the touch wheel on it a lot, but don't mind the buttons on the N3 at all. You can definitely tell you have the X1-II in your pocket. With the N3, I've sometimes forgotten that it's shoved in my back pocket and almost sat on it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,210 of 6,262

Battery life is quoted around 12 hours I believe. But I always take those quotes with a pinch of salt as it depends on way too many factors. I have noticed the battery dropping ever so slightly quicker since the new firmware, but I still get decent playback time so I'm fine with it :slight_smile:

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #1,211 of 6,262

I'll be surprised if you are disappointed in the N3. Still don't get how they've done this for the $150/£150
Oh and I do recommend going with advancedmp3players, I pre ordered from there and they have impeccable service.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,212 of 6,262
Is it possible to go back to 1.0 FW?

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,213 of 6,262
Battery life is quoted around 12 hours I believe. But I always take those quotes with a pinch of salt as it depends on way too many factors. I have noticed the battery dropping ever so slightly quicker since the new firmware, but I still get decent playback time so I'm fine with it :slight_smile:

Yeah, a lot of the quoted play times are in ideal conditions, with EQ off, MP3/128K or V2, screen at minimum brightness (or off), no manual track seeking/changes. Even at 6-8 hours play time I'd be fine with it. I don't plan on having earpieces in that long without a break. And, the N3 charges very quickly, so topping off is no problem.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,214 of 6,262
I'm getting the weirdest thing, it's losing battery life just sitting powered on but idle. No music playing. from 100 to 91% sitting on my desk while i was out at the gym for 2 hours.

Might have to do a factory reset and re-update it or something. I don't recall this kind of idle battery drain last week before the update.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,215 of 6,262
lol, but hey that pic is making me regret ordering the black N3
frown.gif
after having a titanium x3 2 and a titanium x5 3 I thought it was time to go back to black. Can't wait to get mine, I always like a smaller dap- hence the plenue D. Unfortunately it didn't have enough punch and sound stage for full sized cans.

I can't believe how much Cayin has put into this little unit for 150 bucks. Unless the build quality is utter carp or crap lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back