Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #5,687 of 6,262
So, what about possibility to use EQ via USB OTG out with 3.1 firmware (with external DAC)? May somebody clarify it? Thanks.

You cannot use EQ with USB Audio Out, and there won't be any firmware change in the future to modify this setup.

When we launch N3, you can apply EQ and volume with digital output, we have a received a lot of complaint because of this, and the general opinion preferred a bit-perfect digital output, so we change the digital output to native volume and disabled all digital manipulation before the digital output.

The general opinion was EQ or digital filters should be performed by external DAC, digital transport should maintain bit-perfect output as much as possible.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 19, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #5,688 of 6,262
Thank you for the reply. Switching an EQ on/off - is it not the same as adding/removing some digital manipulation before the digital output? May be it's possible to add an option 'bit perfect/with EQ' in the main menu? Now I'm confused, buy or not to buy, couse my Centrance HI-FI M8 has only few eq settings, so I usually like to add some eq listening the different artists, albums...

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #5,689 of 6,262
You cannot use EQ with USB Audio Out, and there won't be any firmware change in the future to modify this setup.

When we launch N3, you can apply EQ and volume with digital output, we have a received a lot of complaint because of this, and the general opinion preferred a bit-perfect digital output, so we change the digital output to native volume and disabled all digital manipulation before the digital output.

The general opinion was EQ or digital filters should be performed by external DAC, digital transport should maintain bit-perfect output as much as possible.
And what the last firmware which retain the ability to use EQ? 3.0? May be I install it if the 'bit perfect/with EQ' option is technically impossible.

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #5,690 of 6,262

So, what firmware I need to install to retain EQ for a USB DAC? Thanks.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #5,691 of 6,262
We can customized that, but we don't see the point of doing that. Turn off the notification light after removing the Android device from the charger is a common practice. To make sure the UI and controls are easily understood, we try to follow the general Android practice unless there is a demand from majority users.
I see. In that case, I am very sure that the option to keep the light on when the screen is on would be a good implementation.
When the screen is off, it'd be better to keep the lights off. But when the user is operating the player through the screen, it would be useful to know exactly where the capacitive buttons are as they would be used anyway.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #5,692 of 6,262
Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to charge the N3 other than through a PC's usb port? Will smartphone chargers (such as having output 5V/2.5A, 9V/1.7A, 12V/1.25A) suffice?

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #5,693 of 6,262
Sorry if this has been asked before but is it possible to charge the N3 other than through a PC's usb port? Will smartphone chargers (such as having output 5V/2.5A, 9V/1.7A, 12V/1.25A) suffice?

Any standard USB charger, should work to charge the N3.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #5,694 of 6,262
I see. In that case, I am very sure that the option to keep the light on when the screen is on would be a good implementation.
When the screen is off, it'd be better to keep the lights off. But when the user is operating the player through the screen, it would be useful to know exactly where the capacitive buttons are as they would be used anyway.

Yes, I agree, It is very frustrating to operate the N3 when you are in a dark room (for instance, some times I heard the N3 in the bed at night) and start to be mistaken with the capacitive buttons. This functionality could be activated by configuration. This is something I missed since the first day.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #5,695 of 6,262

Hi, you can charge N3 with any 5V output chargers. We don't recommend customer to use 9V and 12V output chargers with N3.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #5,696 of 6,262

Yes, I agree, It is very frustrating to operate the N3 when you are in a dark room (for instance, some times I heard the N3 in the bed at night) and start to be mistaken with the capacitive buttons. This functionality could be activated by configuration. This is something I missed since the first day.

We have received similar request several months ago and after we investigated the requirement, we find it infeasible with current N3 circuit design. The LED backlight around the capacitive buttons are connected to the charging circuit, we can make it flash or light up at designated brightness when N3 is in charging condition, but we can't light it up when N3 is NOT in charging mode, so unfortunately, this option is not available.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #5,697 of 6,262
Any standard USB charger, should work to charge the N3.

Theoretically you can use QC2.0 or QC3.0 charger with N3 because the charger should be smart enough to downward compatible with non-QC devices. Unfortunately we have encountered cases when the N3 power circuit was tossed by 9V or 12V chargers. At this point, we are not 100% sure if all QC2.0 and QC3.0 chargers will detect the "absent " of Qualcomm chip correctly and output a 5V signal only. Therefore we do not recommend users to use 9V and 12V USB charger with N3 unless they are absolutely sure that their charge is fully downward compatible.

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #5,698 of 6,262
I am wondering if you guys find the N3 is powerful enough to drive most of your IEMs and headphones aside from some really hard to drive ones that you won't be using with portable DAP anyway. I am thinking of getting an external amp such as a FiiO A3 or A5 with it but based on the specs of the N3, it doesn't seem to need it for most headphones. What are your experiences? My current lineup of phones are UE900s, Ety HF5, HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #5,700 of 6,262
What is a reasonable expectation for battery life starting from full charge with the player turned of?. I'm averaging about 48 hours to complete discharge. This is without using the player at all.

Hi, please check your PM box to do troubleshootings. I have already PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back