Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 2, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,301 of 6,262
Well, it's been 5 days now and it's still at 90%. I've probably turned it on and off about 7-8 times during that period, to check the battery charge, and although I was going to give it a full week just to be sure, I am so bored of this experiment. :frowning2:

If anybody is thinking about exciting things to do with their new Cayin N3, I can tell you that leaving it switched off for 5 days to see how much the battery discharges when not being used is not at all exciting so you can cross that off your list right now. Now please, somebody tell me that 5 days is long enough: I am getting so frustrated that I've almost bought at least 4 different cheap DAPs in the last few days, just so I could have something new to play with while conducting this experiment.

Part of me wants to keep going, because I'm not 100% sure if it was 5 days or a whole week when it totally discharged but I can't see how it would lose 90% over the next 2 days and a much bigger part of me wants to start enjoying listening to music with it again. Set me free!!

I would kindly request that you continue your experiment for the full 30 days of a scientific experiment. Then repeat 3 times to ensure the control group.

I kidd. Listen to your DAP, man. For goodness sake.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3,302 of 6,262
I would kindly request that you continue your experiment for the full 30 days of a scientific experiment. Then repeat 3 times to ensure the control group.

I kidd. Listen to your DAP, man. For goodness sake.
Right, that's good enough for me. :)

[If I want to be really scientific I guess I should buy at least a dozen more and perform the same 30-day x 3 experiment on all of them]

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,303 of 6,262
Right, that's good enough for me. :)

[If I want to be really scientific I guess I should buy at least a dozen more and perform the same 30-day x 3 experiment on all of them]
I once had a neighbor lady that put plastic on her furniture. "No, no, honey. That isn't for sitting."

That's how I feel about your experiment. Please turn it off and look at it some more.

Meanwhile, I've listened to my N3 for about 4 hours today. Beatles, The Call, and Clutch for the Win!

But seriously. Thanks for looking into the battery discharge thing and for your conversations on this with Andy.

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,304 of 6,262
Well, it's been 5 days now and it's still at 90%. I've probably turned it on and off about 7-8 times during that period, to check the battery charge, and although I was going to give it a full week just to be sure, I am so bored of this experiment. :frowning2:

If anybody is thinking about exciting things to do with their new Cayin N3, I can tell you that leaving it switched off for 5 days to see how much the battery discharges when not being used is not at all exciting so you can cross that off your list right now. Now please, somebody tell me that 5 days is long enough: I am getting so frustrated that I've almost bought at least 4 different cheap DAPs in the last few days, just so I could have something new to play with while conducting this experiment.

Part of me wants to keep going, because I'm not 100% sure if it was 5 days or a whole week when it totally discharged but I can't see how it would lose 90% over the next 2 days and a much bigger part of me wants to start enjoying listening to music with it again. Set me free!!
That is perfectly normal. I've had mine off for over a week after a full charge and it was at 94% when I started it up. Electronic devices nowadays don't completely disconnect from the power source like old devices with a physical switch. These "soft switches" require a minimal current draw to monitor for that power on command. This is commonly called a "standby voltage". On top of that, lithium composite batteries also have a minor self-discharge which occurs even if the battery is physically disconnected from the circuit.

If it was to lose 10% overnight, there would be an issue. With an issue like that, most likely the device isn't completely powering "off". I routinely power mine on, listen to a few tracks, pause, and walk away letting the Idle Shutdown power the device off (it's set to 30min). Even with that usage pattern, the battery doesn't lose more than 1% during it's idle time (the screen and amp is powered down automatically).

Quit worrying about it and go listen to it!

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3,305 of 6,262
I once had a neighbor lady that put plastic on her furniture. "No, no, honey. That isn't for sitting."

That's how I feel about your experiment. Please turn it off and look at it some more.

Meanwhile, I've listened to my N3 for about 4 hours today. Beatles, The Call, and Clutch for the Win!

But seriously. Thanks for looking into the battery discharge thing and for your conversations on this with Andy.
I can see how the fact that it might discharge completely if you don't use it for a week might be irrelevant to most normal people (including me usually!) and I would never have tried this experiment if it hadn't actually discharged (or appeared to have discharged) completely when I wasn't using it: I just wanted to be sure that I didn't have a defective battery as the longer I left it, the harder it would be to return I think. I hate it when I get a new toy and I have to keep checking it nervously because I think it might have a flaw - hopefully you know what I mean but I might just be mad as a hatter.

Anyway, I'm satisfied there's nothing wrong with it now. I guess a sane man would have concluded that the battery wasn't defective after playing music continuously for 14 hours and 25 minutes on one charge. I blame the loss of my sanity on this website really. When I joined a couple of months ago, I had 1 set of IEMs and 1 DAP. Now I have 2 DAPs and 10 IEMs (and I'm sure that's just the start of a long sickness).

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #3,306 of 6,262
science.jpg

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,307 of 6,262
@eaglesgift . Yes. I fully understand and don't think you are a nutter.
@groucho69 . That cracked me up.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,308 of 6,262
Excellent model. If you begin that way. If you change the model in midstream be prepared for strife and interviewing for new distributors. May not happen, but be ready for it. It is a delicate dance. As a rep or distributor I want to deal with manufacturers who have credibility and protect me. As a manufacturer I want to maximize sales. That is more easily achieved when there is a good relationship. Do I piss off my channel to pick up minimal return? For Cayin to now set up shop and avoid any repercussions means 100% buy in of the entire channel. That is possible with a good presentation. But is it actually financially a positive step? Cayin knows that better than you or I.

I have been on both sides and I can tell you that I worked with everyone but I worked harder for those who had my interest at heart.

Now maybe we should get back on topic before we are told to?

If you have areas without distributors and unserviced customers then who are you making angry? You don't have to stop looking for distributors for these un-served areas you simply cover them yourself or through a third party until you find a distributor. Why lose potential sales to potential customers while you wait to find a distributor? Also so you aren't undercutting prices to your current distributors in the serviced areas by keeping the prices the same. That is the whole reason for manufacturers setting the MSRP price to keep dealers from undercutting each other.

Other manufacturers do this and I again turn to Cowon which no longer has a Canadian distributor or Canadian dealers. But you can order a Plenue D for example from amazon.ca. When the N3 was first released you could only get it from amazon.ca as an import. Now avgearshop is filling the supply for amazon.ca. Plenty of other manufacturers do it this way so no reason Cayin can't until they fill out their distributor network worldwide like Fiio has.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,309 of 6,262

I'd say if after 5 days it only went down 10% you are fine.

Aug 2, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #3,310 of 6,262
Aug 2, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,311 of 6,262
If you have areas without distributors and unserviced customers then who are you making angry? You don't have to stop looking for distributors for these un-served areas you simply cover them yourself or through a third party until you find a distributor. Why lose potential sales to potential customers while you wait to find a distributor? Also so you aren't undercutting prices to your current distributors in the serviced areas by keeping the prices the same. That is the whole reason for manufacturers setting the MSRP price to keep dealers from undercutting each other.

Other manufacturers do this and I again turn to Cowon which no longer has a Canadian distributor or Canadian dealers. But you can order a Plenue D for example from amazon.ca. When the N3 was first released you could only get it from amazon.ca as an import. Now avgearshop is filling the supply for amazon.ca. Plenty of other manufacturers do it this way so no reason Cayin can't until they fill out their distributor network worldwide like Fiio has.
beating dead horse.gif

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #3,313 of 6,262
I'd say if after 5 days it only went down 10% you are fine.
Thanks. I think in real terms it probably went down a bit less than that, since after the first 12 hours it had dropped to 96%, which I'd assume was due to it not really having reached 100% on the recharge, even though that's what the gauge said. I might have to buy myself something new to get over this traumatic experience though.

Aug 2, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,314 of 6,262
Thanks. I think in real terms it probably went down a bit less than that, since after the first 12 hours it had dropped to 96%, which I'd assume was due to it not really having reached 100% on the recharge, even though that's what the gauge said. I might have to buy myself something new to get over this traumatic experience though.

Yeah, you should buy these, to mitigate the trauma:

http://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=91

Aug 2, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #3,315 of 6,262
oh sorry i thought it was yours!
Well then, you could open one official shop on amazon or/and ebay, i think we would be so many interested if we could find your products directly from Cayin (for those accessories that your international dealers don't value as interesting: cables, protector screens, case etc.)

Hi, glad to hear that you have solved the problem! You can see the guide here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-172#post-13556210

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back