Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Aug 1, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,286 of 6,262
@Andykong I was looking on Amazon.it (as i purchase on that country's store https://www.amazon.it/s/ref=bl_dp_s_web_412609031?ie=UTF8&node=412609031&field-brandtextbin=Cayin) i saw you have a store with some material, why don't you put the type-C to 3.5mm cable on that store?
It would give to your consumers the opportunity to purchase directly from you for some things like the appropriate cables.

This is not our Amazon store, you are looking at items under the brand name Cayin, not the shop name Cayin.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #3,287 of 6,262
@Andykong hi, I'm trying to pair my blackberry keyone with my fresh n3.
Everything is connecting well for the simple Bluetooth link. But when i switch "on" the hiby link, it try to connecting one second and then i ve an error on the n3 : connexion fail or échec de la connexion in French. When i switch "off" the hiby link, the simple Bluetooth works flawlessly.
So what's the problem. My firmware is 2.0.

Thanks for your answer.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #3,288 of 6,262
@Andykong hi, I'm trying to pair my blackberry keyone with my fresh n3.
Everything is connecting well for the simple Bluetooth link. But when i switch "on" the hiby link, it try to connecting one second and then i ve an error on the n3 : connexion fail or échec de la connexion in French. When i switch "off" the hiby link, the simple Bluetooth works flawlessly.
So what's the problem. My firmware is 2.0.

Thanks for your answer.
@Andykong ok forget it, i don't have seen an option in hiby music to enable hiby link, everything is fine now. May be make an user guide with some screenshots to show how to set and use this beautiful gear will be appreciated. Thanks

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #3,289 of 6,262
This is not our Amazon store, you are looking at items under the brand name Cayin, not the shop name Cayin.
oh sorry i thought it was yours!
Well then, you could open one official shop on amazon or/and ebay, i think we would be so many interested if we could find your products directly from Cayin (for those accessories that your international dealers don't value as interesting: cables, protector screens, case etc.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,290 of 6,262
oh sorry i thought it was yours!
Well then, you could open one official shop on amazon or/and ebay, i think we would be so many interested if we could find your products directly from Cayin (for those accessories that your international dealers don't value as interesting: cables, protector screens, case etc.)

Given the distribution model that Cayin have I think that would cause no end of trouble for them with their distributors.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #3,291 of 6,262
Given the distribution model that Cayin have I think that would cause no end of trouble for them with their distributors.
If Cayin wanted to sell some accessories that are kind of a hassle for their dealers (because of the small margin) i don't see their dealers react for some type-C cable they aren't very keen on getting themselves...
Do you imagine a reseller saying "i won't sell anymore your 150-400$ devices because you have your own shop where you sell some 19$ cable..." it would be one more option to proselytize the Cayin brand (and being officially on Amazon-ebay is a must have at some point).

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,292 of 6,262
If Cayin wanted to sell some accessories that are kind of a hassle for their dealers (because of the small margin) i don't see their dealers react for some type-C cable they aren't very keen on getting themselves...
Do you imagine a reseller saying "i won't sell anymore your 150-400$ devices because you have your own shop where you sell some 19$ cable..." it would be one more option to proselytize the Cayin brand (and being officially on Amazon-ebay is a must have at some point).

Having channel managed in the past I can tell you that setting up ANY direct sales will have consequence. It only takes one distributor to start the ball rolling. The potential upside is not worth the potential downside. An easy decision.

Aug 1, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #3,294 of 6,262
I'm not aware of that kind of dealing, i thought it was more flexible...
too bad...

Well let's see. You are Cayin. You decide that the most effective way to market your product effectively is through the distribution channel. You design, develop, and make the product and do some marketing while the distributors stock your product and interface with the local customers on the front and back end and maybe do some local marketing. For this you give up selling direct. You save massive resources and have wider availability of your product and a local face for customers. If you now set up part of your offering as direct sales, do you see how distribution might see this as the thin edge of the wedge? You can't have it both ways. If you want a captive WW sales force then your overhead just sored. Or maybe @Andykong can fly around the world taking care of each customer on his own. You don't do that now right Andy? Channel sales is an important and necessary tactic for most manufacturers.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #3,295 of 6,262
Well let's see. You are Cayin. You decide that the most effective way to market your product effectively is through the distribution channel. You design, develop, and make the product and do some marketing while the distributors stock your product and interface with the local customers on the front and back end and maybe do some local marketing. For this you give up selling direct. You save massive resources and have wider availability of your product and a local face for customers. If you now set up part of your offering as direct sales, do you see how distribution might see this as the thin edge of the wedge? You can't have it both ways. If you want a captive WW sales force then your overhead just sored. Or maybe @Andykong can fly around the world taking care of each customer on his own. You don't do that now right Andy? Channel sales is an important and necessary tactic for most manufacturers.
I thought that like Apple who had resellers and sold as well on their own it was merely a company choice.
For example in my region, italian-french border i can assure you that the name "Cayin" is known as a misinterpretation of a Porsche Cayenne and certainly not as an audio company... and i don't live out in the sticks, i'm 10 miles from Montecarlo, and 20 from Nice.
So for those spots (i could say entire region as i think the first and only italian reseller i spotted on internet was 700 km south in ...Rome, and it doesn't even have a lot to offer) that don't have any "local face for customers" a Cayin presence on the main selling platforms on internet wouldn't be such an act of war...
i only know one shop that could take it badly from where i am (and i'm not even sure he would notice Cayin presence on Amazon-Ebay or take it as a "disloyal" move when it comes to satisfy costumers from the other side of the country).
Furthermore, I bought the N3 on Amazon and it didn't came from a local/regional reseller, so how come the Roman local face for costumers doesn't take it badly when i buy a 150€ device on Amazon.it but he couldn't bear a 19€ cable on the same site???
But i get some of your point. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #3,296 of 6,262
I thought that like Apple who had resellers and sold as well on their own it was merely a company choice.
For example in my region, italian-french border i can assure you that the name "Cayin" is known as a misinterpretation of a Porsche Cayenne and certainly not as an audio company... and i don't live out in the sticks, i'm 10 miles from Montecarlo, and 20 from Nice.
So for those spots (i could say entire region as i think the first and only italian reseller i spotted on internet was 700 km south in ...Rome, and it doesn't even have a lot to offer) that don't have any "local face for customers" a Cayin presence on the main selling platforms on internet wouldn't be such an act of war...
i only know one shop that could take it badly from where i am (and i'm not even sure he would notice Cayin presence on Amazon-Ebay or take it as a "disloyal" move when it comes to satisfy costumers from the other side of the country).
Furthermore, I bought the N3 on Amazon and it didn't came from a local/regional reseller, so how come the Roman local face for costumers doesn't take it badly when i buy a 150€ device on Amazon.it but he couldn't bear a 19€ cable on the same site???
But i get some of your point. :wink:

A very few manufacturers are multi billion dollar companies like Apple. Scale is important in devising marketing and sales. Cayin, thank Buddha, is no Apple. It is a niche company and always will be. That is an excellent reason to do business with them. When was the last time Apple did anything with music players? Can you say abandoned?

As for the Amazon buy, if the Rome disty is not involved, unlike other Amazon sites, that will be their choice. But they would be given a choice. I do find it difficult to believe that it did not involve the disty however. And there is always the chance that another distributor is poaching business.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #3,297 of 6,262
I have experience working with a couple of small companies that did ecommerce. In both instances we had a network of dealers across the US and Canada. Each dealer was given a predefined sales area. Any orders that came in those areas were filled by the dealers. We also had areas of the country that did not have dealers. In that instance we would fill the orders from our warehouse and thus not poach any sales from the dealers. If Cayin has areas of the world that are not currently being serviced via a distributor then they should find a way to fill those gaps. Whether that means filling the orders directly or working with a third party like Amazon. This should include items like the USB-C cables, screen protectors, cases etc.. The bottom line is Cayin is in the business of making money and hopefully servicing customers needs. There is a saying in retail, "the customer is always right". If you have customers in certain areas that can't obtain Cayin products then Cayin needs to fix that. Fix it or risk losing business to other manufacturers.

If you are lucky enough to have Cayin dealers or distributors locally then getting products and service is relatively pain free. But if you live in areas without dealers or distributors then it becomes a bigger hassle to deal with. Cayin like all other niche manufacturers needs to do their best to make it a hassle free process for every potential customer. I recalled my experience with Cowon trying to get service for a defective Cowon DAP. It was such a nightmare that I will never purchase another Cowon DAP again. I went from being a loyal Cowon buyer for 8 years to never wanting to buy their products ever again.

If you can't get the accessories you want from the local distributor then you should be able to get it from another source. Cayin needs to find that source for the customers that want their products or risk losing sales and having unhappy customers. They need to take a lesson from Fiio and work to fill every area they can. Just a few years ago there were only a few Fiio dealers in Canada and getting service was a hassle. Now there are something like 40 dealers across Canada and getting service is as easy as walking into the dealer who sold you the product. The dealer that sold me my Q1 DAC/Amp told me that he would cover me for service even after the warranty expires. Now I have no qualms at all about buying Fiio products if they meet my needs because I know I am covered. For me the jury is still out on whether I can trust Cayin if I need service.

Aug 2, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,298 of 6,262
I have experience working with a couple of small companies that did ecommerce. In both instances we had a network of dealers across the US and Canada. Each dealer was given a predefined sales area. Any orders that came in those areas were filled by the dealers. We also had areas of the country that did not have dealers. In that instance we would fill the orders from our warehouse and thus not poach any sales from the dealers. If Cayin has areas of the world that are not currently being serviced via a distributor then they should find a way to fill those gaps. Whether that means filling the orders directly or working with a third party like Amazon. This should include items like the USB-C cables, screen protectors, cases etc.. The bottom line is Cayin is in the business of making money and hopefully servicing customers needs. There is a saying in retail, "the customer is always right". If you have customers in certain areas that can't obtain Cayin products then Cayin needs to fix that. Fix it or risk losing business to other manufacturers.

If you are lucky enough to have Cayin dealers or distributors locally then getting products and service is relatively pain free. But if you live in areas without dealers or distributors then it becomes a bigger hassle to deal with. Cayin like all other niche manufacturers needs to do their best to make it a hassle free process for every potential customer. I recalled my experience with Cowon trying to get service for a defective Cowon DAP. It was such a nightmare that I will never purchase another Cowon DAP again. I went from being a loyal Cowon buyer for 8 years to never wanting to buy their products ever again.

If you can't get the accessories you want from the local distributor then you should be able to get it from another source. Cayin needs to find that source for the customers that want their products or risk losing sales and having unhappy customers. They need to take a lesson from Fiio and work to fill every area they can. Just a few years ago there were only a few Fiio dealers in Canada and getting service was a hassle. Now there are something like 40 dealers across Canada and getting service is as easy as walking into the dealer who sold you the product. The dealer that sold me my Q1 DAC/Amp told me that he would cover me for service even after the warranty expires. Now I have no qualms at all about buying Fiio products if they meet my needs because I know I am covered. For me the jury is still out on whether I can trust Cayin if I need service.

Excellent model. If you begin that way. If you change the model in midstream be prepared for strife and interviewing for new distributors. May not happen, but be ready for it. It is a delicate dance. As a rep or distributor I want to deal with manufacturers who have credibility and protect me. As a manufacturer I want to maximize sales. That is more easily achieved when there is a good relationship. Do I piss off my channel to pick up minimal return? For Cayin to now set up shop and avoid any repercussions means 100% buy in of the entire channel. That is possible with a good presentation. But is it actually financially a positive step? Cayin knows that better than you or I.

I have been on both sides and I can tell you that I worked with everyone but I worked harder for those who had my interest at heart.

Now maybe we should get back on topic before we are told to?

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #3,299 of 6,262
Any problems, please feel free to let me know again! Have a nice day! :smiley:
Well, it's been 5 days now and it's still at 90%. I've probably turned it on and off about 7-8 times during that period, to check the battery charge, and although I was going to give it a full week just to be sure, I am so bored of this experiment. :frowning2:

If anybody is thinking about exciting things to do with their new Cayin N3, I can tell you that leaving it switched off for 5 days to see how much the battery discharges when not being used is not at all exciting so you can cross that off your list right now. Now please, somebody tell me that 5 days is long enough: I am getting so frustrated that I've almost bought at least 4 different cheap DAPs in the last few days, just so I could have something new to play with while conducting this experiment.

Part of me wants to keep going, because I'm not 100% sure if it was 5 days or a whole week when it totally discharged but I can't see how it would lose 90% over the next 2 days and a much bigger part of me wants to start enjoying listening to music with it again. Set me free!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back