Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jun 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,431 of 6,262
Here is the resource folder (themes, fonts, strings, coords etc): link
To pack everything back is a more difficult task, but I can do this too...
I think it's enough to give the corrected files to Cayin, so that they are sent them to the Hiby and they builded the firmware.
Hi,
@CayinSupport
I am French.
Here is the French ressources files corrected.
There were a lot of spelling mistakes and wrong translations.
I kept in English some technical words (like Replay Gain) because the english is easier to understand and there is no official translation.
I speak Spanish fluently. If Cayin is interested I can do a Spanish translation.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,433 of 6,262
Thank you for your kind intention in helping Cayin to improve our firmware. :beerchug:

On the other hand, I would like to remind all customers that changing the firmware content will violate the warranty of your N3, Cayin and our dealers reserve the right to not providing any warranty service until the N3 has retro-installed a firmware issued by Cayin. The firmware files are available at our website, so I assume everyone can re-install the firmware if they run into any problem afterward.
Hi,
The intention is not to modify ourself the firmware but to make available for Cayin the resource files without spelling mistakes and wrong translations. At least in French, the translation quality is not at the same level as the player quality... :)

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,434 of 6,262
Good idea. That should work! Lol.

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you...how's the sound on that "Cayin M3" in your sig? :smiling_imp:

FINALLY. I refused to correct it until somebody noticed. Here's your prize.

prize.gif

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #2,435 of 6,262
Jun 13, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,436 of 6,262
Thanks to Cayin for assisting in obtaining a case! Well at least it is on order.

cayin case.png

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #2,438 of 6,262
Hi Groucho,
How did you manage to order a case for the N3?
This one on the photo is not for the N3!
It seems to be for the I5

He who whines most gets case. The pic is from the Cayin site.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2,439 of 6,262
The startup animation is a "backward" design, and the sequenced goes like this:
  1. Develop v0.9beta firmware without start up animation.
  2. Measure the time required to start-up the DAP
  3. Create a clip that match the recorded start-up time
  4. Include the clip into the v1.0 firmware.

In other word, if we remove the animation clip, the DAP will display a blank black screen for exactly the same period of time, and I am sure a lot of users will lost their patient and begin to "rescue" their "un-responded" DAP :deadhorse:

optional time/date display? I believe this is unlikely because N3 cannot connect to the atomic clock for reference date/time, and the only "clock" we have inside the DAP are two crystal oscillators, they are good for their designated purpose (digital audio synchronization) but not time keeping.

Your upgrade requirements, if all fulfilled, will definitely be a seriously upgrade from N3. Non-Android touchscreen is a big challenge, not technically impossible, but we have seen bad implementation that caused serious user dissatisfaction, so we are reluctant to include that in our roadmap.
Thanks for the feedback Andy! Good to know where we stand with the N3.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,440 of 6,262
I got the case as part of the review tour and I think it should be mandatory. All the issues I had with pressing the wrong button with the silicone case stopped cold with the leather since the buttons are recessed.

I posted my review today here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...lity-digital-audio-player-black.22343/reviews

Meanwhile, I have the family talked into a father's day present :wink: my new N3 with the leather case should be on order by this weekend.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,441 of 6,262
I got the case as part of the review tour and I think it should be mandatory. All the issues I had with pressing the wrong button with the silicone case stopped cold with the leather since the buttons are recessed.

I posted my review today here: https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...lity-digital-audio-player-black.22343/reviews

Meanwhile, I have the family talked into a father's day present :wink: my new N3 with the leather case should be on order by this weekend.

Thanks for the great review. Informative and very much in line with my own findings. Easily the most versatile little "device" on the market at this price point (or for that matter at twice the price). It's the device that finally made me see the use for a DAP, and unfortunately has now got me hooked... Look forward to sharing my own thoughts in an upcoming review.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #2,442 of 6,262
Finally received the prototype that we can endorse for further development. :beerchug:

For the record, this is an approved prototype, the earliest availability date will be two months from now - that is when everything move on smoothly.

The cable should work with all Cayin DAP equipped with Type-C Coaxial feature: i5, N3 and the forthcoming DAPs in our product plan. Other then Chord Mojo and Hugo2, it should also work with selected portable DAC products from CEntrance and iBasso.

QQ图片20170614134758.jpg

QQ图片20170614134803.jpg
QQ图片20170614134815.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #2,443 of 6,262
Hi Guys, I bought this amazing DAP few days ago and I installed latest firmware but I noticed an huge battery drain... also in standby after 3 cycles. Tonight it dropped from 39 to 6% in 7 hours... I think it's not normal.

I tried resetting, reinstalling firmware but it behaves always the same.

Could you please share your battery performance?

PS: Now listening 10 minutes it's dropped from 100 to 96%

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #2,444 of 6,262
According to our UI display design, the N3 will display Artist, Album, Track Title, Music format and sampling frequency on the main playback screen. Only when the player failed to retrieve the Track Title information from the metadata, then N3 will display Filename as a replacement of Title information.

If you have tag your music file correctly, the player should not display the filename. We need to investigate the reason behind this, any chance you can post a screen capture on the metadata of your music file? The following is an example of metadata listing from Foobar2000, information like this will help us to debug your problem.

Sure, here are the screenshots and photos.
(BTW, I think another user seems to have the same issue as me a few pages back. If I remember correctly, user mentioned it was the latest firmware that caused this?)

01.jpg
1) Metadata of a song in Foobar2k
Artist: Radiohead
Album: A Moon Shaped Pool
Song: Burn The Witch

02.JPG
2) Selecting Artist

03.JPG
3) Artist page - Displaying correctly

04.JPG
4) Album page - Displaying correctly

05.JPG
5) Song page - Did not get the metadata and display full file name

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #2,445 of 6,262
Hi Guys, I bought this amazing DAP few days ago and I installed latest firmware but I noticed an huge battery drain... also in standby after 3 cycles. Tonight it dropped from 39 to 6% in 7 hours... I think it's not normal.

I tried resetting, reinstalling firmware but it behaves always the same.

Could you please share your battery performance?

PS: Now listening 10 minutes it's dropped from 100 to 96%

Keep in mind the battery gauge will become more accurate after a few charge cycles. That said it's optimistic to expect the full 12-hours battery life (advertised for playback of CD-quality music anyway). If you're playing high-res flac or DSD files the processor has to work harder and therefore eats up more battery. Also if your screen is on a lot, and set to high brightness, it will suck your battery dry. Keep it off as much as possible (unless you're into following lyrics), and set it only as bright as you need to clearly see the display. Hammer it with all guns blazing, sonto speak, and you'll probably find your battery life will drop substantially.

PS. It's rare that I need to use my N3 on long trips, so as long as it lasts a few hours each day and I can top it up every other day, I'm happy. Heck I'm charging my phone twice a day, so 2-3 times per week for a device is a luxury!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back