Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,026 of 6,262
I'm pretty sure I've answered this over the course of the thread at least once. Sucks that the "search inside threads" feature is no longer available. Gapless works just fine for me.
I saw and appreciate you said that but you also reported no gapless play problems with the i5 yet I can assure mine did not playback gapless correctly.

The 'search in thread' function does work, by the way. It was kindly highlighted how by another member a couple of days ago.

See this...

I'm using a Mozilla Firefox browser on PC. Not sure on mobile if this thing is possible.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,027 of 6,262
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but maybe my earlier post got lost in the shuffle... has anyone else had any timing issues with their N3? I will give my most salient example again for information purposes... I have a mix track (over an hour long) that when I normally play on my computer through Foobar, I cue up to the 8:06 mark to get to the beginning of a particular song. However, on the N3, I have to cue it up to the 8:16 mark, a difference of 10 seconds. Any idea why this would happen? @Andykong ?

May 23, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,028 of 6,262
I'm sorry to bring this up again, but maybe my earlier post got lost in the shuffle... has anyone else had any timing issues with their N3? I will give my most salient example again for information purposes... I have a mix track (over an hour long) that when I normally play on my computer through Foobar, I cue up to the 8:06 mark to get to the beginning of a particular song. However, on the N3, I have to cue it up to the 8:16 mark, a difference of 10 seconds. Any idea why this would happen? @Andykong ?
Out of curiosity, once the song starts to play, do you notice it playing slower? If not, then I would say the N3 is reading your cue differently than foobar. 10 second difference would be quite noticeable IMO. I noticed the pitch error in the Xduoo X3 and it was only a couple seconds. Keep in mind, I do not own a N3 yet, but will be picking one up in a few weeks.

May 23, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #2,029 of 6,262
Thank you Mr Optimist :p With all your animosity toward Cayin products, I'm not sure what are you still doing in their threads? lol!!!

No animosity at all! Just being a bit disappointed how fast the (sinking?) i5-ship was abandoned. I heard the N3 at CanJam Singapore and was impressed from the little device. Howver, the i5 story
caused me to loose some trust in Cayin. Still around the threads as I still hope to be proven wrong!

May 23, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #2,030 of 6,262
Out of curiosity, once the song starts to play, do you notice it playing slower? If not, then I would say the N3 is reading your cue differently than foobar. 10 second difference would be quite noticeable IMO. I noticed the pitch error in the Xduoo X3 and it was only a couple seconds. Keep in mind, I do not own a N3 yet, but will be picking one up in a few weeks.

So far I've only noticed that with one track, Ice Cube's "Today Was a Good Day," where the pitch/tempo changes within the track from faster at the beginning to slower when the verses begin. This does not happen when I play through my computer.

May 23, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #2,031 of 6,262
No animosity at all! Just being a bit disappointed how fast the (sinking?) i5-ship was abandoned. I heard the N3 at CanJam Singapore and was impressed from the little device. Howver, the i5 story
caused me to loose some trust in Cayin. Still around the threads as I still hope to be proven wrong!

Just get N3 and enjoy the music! :D

May 23, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #2,032 of 6,262
I saw and appreciate you said that but you also reported no gapless play problems with the i5 yet I can assure mine did not playback gapless correctly.

The 'search in thread' function does work, by the way. It was kindly highlighted how by another member a couple of days ago.

See this...

Oh, snap. I swear my testing albums with gapless worked just fine on i5, but I do switch between DAPs fairly often and it's possible something changed. I listen to a lot of gapless albums and would be seriously bugged if gapless didn't work properly. I'm not shy about calling it out when it occurs, either. Just ask the guys over in the Aune M1s thread, lol :p

May 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #2,034 of 6,262
Really wished Cayin put on a Tempered glass protector. The plastic one is already being scratched up just using a microcloth overtime to wipe away smudges and fingerprints.

What are the dimensions of the screen (ie what dimensions would you need for a protector)?

May 24, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #2,036 of 6,262
Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #2,037 of 6,262
So the dimensions of an appropriate screen protector would need to be about 60mm×42mm?

That sounds identical to the 2.4" 400x360 screen used on the FiiO X5. So then it's a simple matter of finding a compatible screen protector for the FiiO.

Like so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISAGU-temp...een-protector-glass-hardness-9H-/142078847761
Except the N3 needs the hole at the bottom center for the select button. I've been wanting a glass protector as well, but it's really hard because of that hole to get a full face protector. I've been looking at finding a company to custom cut a set of protectors, but so far it's been impossible or cost prohibitive because of minimum orders.

May 24, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,038 of 6,262
Thanks for the good words, looks like you are a happy N3 users. I hope you'll continue to enjoy your music with N3.

You mentioned that you are using "low ohm stuff", your are referring to Rose Masya? will consider adding a pair of IEM or portable headphones down the road?

Yes, the rose Masya is 12 ohm so I needed something with a low output impedance. They sounded great on medium gain. I do have a tennmak cello that sounds good for the price, but IEMs are too isolating for me...and headphones mess up my long hair on the go :p I like earbuds to hear my surroundings, but I would love to try an audeze iSine 10 or 20 with the n3! :) That one seems like the one IEM with little isolation, that I would like.

May 24, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #2,039 of 6,262

Users who are viewing this thread

Back