Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,056 of 6,262
I think you'll find it sounds better after a few days. No explanation as I don't subscribe to dap burn-in but it sure seems to sound better

I reckon it's our ears getting adjusted to the DAPs sonic characteristics, rather than anything to do with electronics. More a case of 'ear burn-in' than anything to do with the DAP:wink:

May 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #2,057 of 6,262
I'm tempted to say it has something to do with the cue file. Have you tried playing that song by itself, separate from the cue file? If so, did it play fine or was the pitch error still there? I've not read anyone else reporting this issue which points me back to the cue file as the issue and the N3 perhaps processing it differently than foobar.

I'm actually not using any cue files. The Ice Cube track is selected independently, by itself. Previously when I said "cue" I meant fast forwarding in the mix track to where the song I like begins (it's basically one over-hour long MP3 file). So far I've only noticed the tempo/pitch change on the Ice Cube track because it was so noticeable. I don't know that I would have noticed the timing difference on the mix track had I not tried to seek/ffwd to where I know the song I like should be.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #2,058 of 6,262
I'm actually not using any cue files. The Ice Cube track is selected independently, by itself. Previously when I said "cue" I meant fast forwarding in the mix track to where the song I like begins (it's basically one over-hour long MP3 file). So far I've only noticed the tempo/pitch change on the Ice Cube track because it was so noticeable. I don't know that I would have noticed the timing difference on the mix track had I not tried to seek/ffwd to where I know the song I like should be.
A cue file wouldn't have anything to do with pitch anyways - the file is nothing more than an index of where a track starts and stops in an uncut file. It wouldn't affect the timing of a track's playback. If the cue was off, you'd notice real quick as the track wouldn't start or end in the right place. You'd hit Next and it's start in the middle of the track or end of the previous track somewhere.

I haven't noticed any tracks that slow down/speed up. However, certain digital filter choices can make certain sounds appear to be out of tune/slowing down/ramping up. I've hear cymbal rings sound warbly and dragged out using the Slow filter... The only thing I could see making a file change pitch on playback would be if the timing oscillator drifted (heavily). But then it would do it randomnly more than consistently.

If you try the digital filter on Sharp and then on Super Slow, does the pitch at the suspect area change noticeably?

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,059 of 6,262
A cue file wouldn't have anything to do with pitch anyways - the file is nothing more than an index of where a track starts and stops in an uncut file. It wouldn't affect the timing of a track's playback. If the cue was off, you'd notice real quick as the track wouldn't start or end in the right place. You'd hit Next and it's start in the middle of the track or end of the previous track somewhere.

I haven't noticed any tracks that slow down/speed up. However, certain digital filter choices can make certain sounds appear to be out of tune/slowing down/ramping up. I've hear cymbal rings sound warbly and dragged out using the Slow filter... The only thing I could see making a file change pitch on playback would be if the timing oscillator drifted (heavily). But then it would do it randomnly more than consistently.

If you try the digital filter on Sharp and then on Super Slow, does the pitch at the suspect area change noticeably?

Very interesting... it does seem that the filter chosen does have some impact, but I have to really listen for it. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe in the next firmware update there can be a filter off option. Now to figure why I'm getting a time discrepancy in my longer MP3 mix track.

May 24, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,060 of 6,262
Very interesting... it does seem that the filter chosen does have some impact, but I have to really listen for it. I don't know if it's possible, but maybe in the next firmware update there can be a filter off option. Now to figure why I'm getting a time discrepancy in my longer MP3 mix track.

Filter off would be a great option too.

In my case, the only issue im having is when using it as a USB DAC with the cayin drivers on w10. When I use high resolution above 24/48 I get artifacts at times. Otherwise, it sounds great already with the new w10 usb dac drivers. im guessing its just a driver issue for now, so I guess I will go back to stock drivers until a new driver is released.

May 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,061 of 6,262
Filter off would be a great option too.

In my case, the only issue im having is when using it as a USB DAC with the cayin drivers on w10. When I use high resolution above 24/48 I get artifacts at times. Otherwise, it sounds great already with the new w10 usb dac drivers. im guessing its just a driver issue for now, so I guess I will go back to stock drivers until a new driver is released.

Off-topic, but Windows drivers are one of the main reasons I switched to Mac in 2007...and never looked back!

May 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #2,062 of 6,262
My apologies, I misunderstood you.

May 24, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #2,065 of 6,262
For digital instruments (keyboards, synth, drum machines), "Sharp" would probably produce the best tone. However, for real instruments (cymbals, piano, guitars), "Sharp" sounds really fake and wrong. I use "Short Delay Slow" for those to get the best output. "Super Slow" actually sounds best with most cymbals as it's running at the half the sampling rate of the others, but it's horrible with anything electronic and for other tones, it does cut out the high frequencies a bit because of the falloff. Keyboards sound very warbly with "Super Slow" and can sound like they are running at half frequency rate while actual pianos sound really accurate. Try "Sharp" with the Ice Cube track and see if it sounds better.

May 24, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,066 of 6,262
For digital instruments (keyboards, synth, drum machines), "Sharp" would probably produce the best tone. However, for real instruments (cymbals, piano, guitars), "Sharp" sounds really fake and wrong. I use "Short Delay Slow" for those to get the best output. "Super Slow" actually sounds best with most cymbals as it's running at the half the sampling rate of the others, but it's horrible with anything electronic and for other tones, it does cut out the high frequencies a bit because of the falloff. Keyboards sound very warbly with "Super Slow" and can sound like they are running at half frequency rate while actual pianos sound really accurate. Try "Sharp" with the Ice Cube track and see if it sounds better.

Indeed, Sharp does sound the best. It has more energy.

May 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,068 of 6,262
How does the Cayin N3 compare with the Shanling M2s in terms of general features and sound quality?
Does the N3 sound good paired with low impedance IEMs (16-32 ohm)?

The other evening, I spent some time swapping some stock Qian39 earbuds (22Ω) back and forth between the N3 and M2s, listening to different things - mainly FLAC files of Iona, a UK Celtic Progressive Rock band. The higher output impedance of the M2s makes a subtle difference, with slightly less low Bass quantity (the quality is still very good) when using low impedance (<32Ω) earbuds & earphones (especially multi balanced armature models). Higher impedance (>64Ω) earbuds, and earphones with dynamic drivers, don't seem to be affected very much by the M2s having a higher output impedance.

To me, the N3 probably sounds a little bit better with a wider range of earbuds & earphones - but I still prefer the Shanling M2s Control Wheel / UI, and it sounds very good with nearly all of my regularly used earbuds & earphones. I enjoy listening to both of these DAPs, and so I don't carry the larger, heavier, and more expensive Onkyo DP-X1 around daily in my pocket much any more (except when at restaurants, when I listen to Spotify streaming via WiFi, which the budget DAPs won't do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back