Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,909 of 6,262
You guys than are ordering this great N3.... why did you choose this one instead of the shanling m2s?
For me it's: I don't like touchscreen style designs, I can't stand physical volume controls, and I definitely don't like tiny devices, especially with glass case elements. Devices like that usually only last a few weeks at most with me.

Add to the list the lower price of the N3 and it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,912 of 6,262
You guys than are ordering this great N3.... why did you choose this one instead of the shanling m2s?

I ordered both.
The reason: The N3 came out before the M2s (and what I wanted, was a more powerful Shanling M1, with Line Out).

Comparison - The N3 probably sounds a little bit better with a wider range of earbuds & earphones - but I still prefer the Shanling M2s Control Wheel / UI, and it sounds very good with nearly all of my regularly used earbuds & earphones.

May 20, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #1,913 of 6,262
Talking about this, I dont know why the lightning to usb-c cable cant work with the iphone and a external dac/amp, for example:

iphone <-- lightning ---- usb-c --> cayin n3 (as dac/amp)

I read this will not work, instead it should be like this:

iPhone <--lightning --- CCK <-- usb ---- usb-c ---> cayin n3

anyone understand this?

so, this company could make a cable to just by-pass the CCK? so we could connect the iPhone lightning directly to any external dac/amp

avoiding the CCK is some form of dark magic. Odds are that unless the vendor pays Apple a fee for special know how a cable intended to supplant the cck will not work. I purchased a FIIO cable that was supposed to bypass the cck and had no joy (L19).

May 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,914 of 6,262
avoiding the CCK is some form of dark magic. Odds are that unless the vendor pays Apple a fee for special know how a cable intended to supplant the cck will not work. I purchased a FIIO cable that was supposed to bypass the cck and had no joy (L19).
Talking about this, I dont know why the lightning to usb-c cable cant work with the iphone and a external dac/amp, for example:

iphone <-- lightning ---- usb-c --> cayin n3 (as dac/amp)

I read this will not work, instead it should be like this:

iPhone <--lightning --- CCK <-- usb ---- usb-c ---> cayin n3

anyone understand this?

so, this company could make a cable to just by-pass the CCK? so we could connect the iPhone lightning directly to any external dac/amp

Just wondering, why would you use a DAP as a DAC for an iPhone? I love my iPhone but once I get the N3, it goes back to being a smartphone and leaves the serious business of high-res music playback to the high-res music player :) That said, with no DAP in hand I totally get why you'd use a separate DAC/AMP. I have two!

May 20, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,916 of 6,262
Leather case jus arrived :).

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

May 20, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,919 of 6,262
Hi everyone, I have a technical question regarding Bluetooth abilities of the N3 : should I use it as a receiver, with my iem plugged into it, like this configuration:

Galaxy S7 (flac file) >> Bluetooth >> N3 >> IEM plugged.

Is the N3 DAC to make the decoding process ? How would the audio quality be altered from the original file to what is coming to my ears ?

Second question : do I need to install drivers in order to use the N3 as an usb DAC?

Thanks in advance:)

May 20, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #1,920 of 6,262
Hi everyone, I have a technical question regarding Bluetooth abilities of the N3 : should I use it as a receiver, with my iem plugged into it, like this configuration:

Galaxy S7 (flac file) >> Bluetooth >> N3 >> IEM plugged.

Is the N3 DAC to make the decoding process ? How would the audio quality be altered from the original file to what is coming to my ears ?

Thanks in advance:)

I quoted a few related responses here that may be helpful:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-119#post-13481401

Users who are viewing this thread

Back