Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
May 19, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,877 of 6,262
Thinking about it more, it would be a PITA to get by with 1 DAP.

I don't know about that. In my case, one N3 would serve most of these purposes. If I'm walking/hiking, it's small enough to fit in a pocket, or, just sit in the bag with BT headphones; for the car it syncs with BT/aux; when I travel - perfect wired or wireless; around the house, well, it's portable...

I have a 800GB music library, of which I would only listen to a subset at any given time. The full library is stored on my media server, and I have a backup/mirror for other computers should I wish to use them as servers. My DAP can't/won't hold my full library. Also, multiple DAPs mean multiple (massive) cards, which adds up to a $$$ of storage sitting idle most of the time. Since most rooms I would listen in are within 10m of the server, I can also simply use the N3 in BT mode to listen to any of my library while at home as well.

For me the N3 is a perfect storm of features that finally made me rethink my one-device (iPhone) policy that I've steadfastly held onto until now. And all that said, if Apple one day in its infinite wisdom endows the iPhone with a USB-c slot and/or expandable storage, and starts supporting the music files everyone that cares about hi-res music listens to (FLAC, DSD dammit!), I wouldn't need a DAP in the first place :p

May 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,880 of 6,262
Some of it is just due to 'Head Fi fever'. But some can be due to different usage scenarios. For example, I have a Clip+ (Rockboxed), xduoo X3 (Rockboxed), and 4 iPods (2 6G Nanos and a Rockboxed 5.5 Video). I use the Clip+ or large-capacity iPod nano 6G when working out due to it's size and built-in clip, 1 of the non-Rockboxed iPods is permanently in the car due to USB iPod integration with my head unit, and the X3 whenever I'm not working out or driving in my car. The other iPod Nano (small capacity & junk battery) is reserved exclusively for burning in audio equipment. Finally, the Rockboxed iPod is reserved for when the X3 has a dead battery or is being charged up.

Thinking about it more, it would be a PITA to get by with 1 DAP.

1 DAP????

insane.gif

May 19, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,882 of 6,262
May 19, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,883 of 6,262
The relevant connectors are: USB Type-C on the N3, and USB 3.0 Type-B on the Nano.

The shortest direct connecting cable I found with a quick Google search, is this one that's 50cm - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/50cm-short-usb-c-male-30-b-printer-cable-lin-hang-hang
The others seem to be 1m or longer.
You can have a custom C-B cable made as short as 6". I have a bunch of custom cables made for tethering my cameras. The place to have it done is USBFirewire.com. The custom cable tool is here: http://www.usbfirewire.com/e-custom.aspx

You can even get the ends angled the way you want them...
upload_2017-5-19_23-27-19.png

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,884 of 6,262
You can have a custom C-B cable made as short as 6". I have a bunch of custom cables made for tethering my cameras. The place to have it done is USBFirewire.com. The custom cable tool is here: http://www.usbfirewire.com/e-custom.aspx

You can even get the ends angled the way you want them...

That looks like a really handy link to know! :ksc75smile:

May 19, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,885 of 6,262
That looks like a really handy link to know! :ksc75smile:
They aren't the cheapest, but their cables are really good quality and they stand behind their work. My camera tether cables get abused heavily and have all held up flawlessly. Their craftsmanship doesn't have any gimmicky "features", just good parts. At $50 a cable, it can sound high, but the unique choice of ends and the ability to get the cable the exact length that you want is worth every dime.

May 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,886 of 6,262
They aren't the cheapest, but their cables are really good quality and they stand behind their work. My camera tether cables get abused heavily and have all held up flawlessly. Their craftsmanship doesn't have any gimmicky "features", just good parts. At $50 a cable, it can sound high, but the unique choice of ends and the ability to get the cable the exact length that you want is worth every dime.

I've got a couple of USB OTG "Y" cables (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Type-A Plug, and Micro-B Plug) and (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Micro-B Jack, and Micro-B Plug), which can be used to keep my rooted Android Nexus 5 Phone & 7 Tablet charged, while connecting them to my iFi Micro iDSD.

Do you know whether USBFirewire would make any similar OTG cables, but with (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Type-C Jack, and Type-C Plug) and (Micro-B Plug, "Y-ing" to Type-C Jack, and Type-C Plug)?

May 20, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,887 of 6,262
I've got a couple of USB OTG "Y" cables (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Type-A Plug, and Micro-B Plug) and (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Micro-B Jack, and Micro-B Plug), which can be used to keep my rooted Android Nexus 5 Phone & 7 Tablet charged, while connecting them to my iFi Micro iDSD.

Do you know whether USBFirewire would make any similar OTG cables, but with (Type-A Jack, "Y-ing" to Type-C Jack, and Type-C Plug) and (Micro-B Plug, "Y-ing" to Type-C Jack, and Type-C Plug)?

I've sent them some weird schematics to make for me. They'll make about any cable, but the price goes above the $50 custom charge. You'd just have to send them a schematic of how you want the pinouts done (or a drawing to begin with) and they'll quote you a price.

May 20, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,888 of 6,262
I've sent them some weird schematics to make for me. They'll make about any cable, but the price goes above the $50 custom charge. You'd just have to send them a schematic of how you want the pinouts done (or a drawing to begin with) and they'll quote you a price.

Talking about this, I dont know why the lightning to usb-c cable cant work with the iphone and a external dac/amp, for example:

iphone <-- lightning ---- usb-c --> cayin n3 (as dac/amp)

I read this will not work, instead it should be like this:

iPhone <--lightning --- CCK <-- usb ---- usb-c ---> cayin n3

anyone understand this?

so, this company could make a cable to just by-pass the CCK? so we could connect the iPhone lightning directly to any external dac/amp

May 20, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #1,890 of 6,262
Just got my N3 case in! Feels a bit cardboard like, not like the smooth leather of the X1-II's case. But, still much nicer than the silicone crap that came with it. Fits nice and tight on the N3. I would've like it better if it was shiny leatherette, the card slot was covered, and the opening was on the bottom instead of the top.

It does make finding the side buttons easier with the cutouts and does give a nice gap underneath the capacitive buttons to help finding the center of the bottom row buttons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back