Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
May 27, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #587 of 751
Thanks for your help! I purchased the amp from ebay, new, from. Ohio valley audio who said Final Audio USA was the importer. I will write the email you gave me to see if they can help.

Final Audio US is our dealer for selected item, unfortunately I don't have the contact number or email of Final Audio US, you can email service@cayin.cn, tell them your situation, they'll provide necessary information to connect you to the right person.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 28, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #588 of 751
Static and hum seem to be two recurring issues on this amp. I bought my first unit second-hand last December, in low-current mode there's a constant hum not unlike the transformer hum that completely goes away in high current mode. I returned it. I bought another one in March, it worked fine for a couple weeks, but to my shock the exact same issue resurfaced. I am very bummed.

I love Cayin as a brand and have owned many of their early products, but lately they've been releasing more and more gear for portable use that goes for astronomical prices. I really hope Cayin can go back to their roots and release another solid, affordable desktop product like the iHA-6. As great as it is, it needs an update.

Jun 18, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #591 of 751
I never heard of the iHA6 II. Where did you see it? x2 :wink:

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #593 of 751
Please email service@cayin.cn for repair and service support.

You have contacted your dealer already? Did you purchased the amplifier from MusicTeck?
Thanks Andy. I was able to get in contact with Final Audio in the US, and they sorted me out. Cayin and Final Audio have been amazing and very helpful sourcing a new iha-6. Burning it in right now! I sure missed its sound. So damn musical. Ohh the PRAT!

Funny story, while waiting for the iha-6, I purchased a Burson Soloist 3xp. While the Soloist is pretty outstanding, the Cayin is just as good. Then I realized that the Cayin is about half the cost of the Burson!! I also tried a Singer SA-1 that while a very sweet amp, lacked power in the Low gain setting (which I use for the low impedance Z1r)

Kudos to Cayin for making an amp of outstanding quality and value! Really. Its just better than all amps in its price range and higher!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #594 of 751
Thanks Andy. I was able to get in contact with Final Audio in the US, and they sorted me out. Cayin and Final Audio have been amazing and very helpful sourcing a new iha-6. Burning it in right now! I sure missed its sound. So damn musical. Ohh the PRAT!

Funny story, while waiting for the iha-6, I purchased a Burson Soloist 3xp. While the Soloist is pretty outstanding, the Cayin is just as good. Then I realized that the Cayin is about half the cost of the Burson!! I also tried a Singer SA-1 that while a very sweet amp, lacked power in the Low gain setting (which I use for the low impedance Z1r)

Kudos to Cayin for making an amp of outstanding quality and value! Really. Its just better than all amps in its price range and higher!

Interesting to read about your comparison between the Burson Soloist 3xp and the Cayin! Can you elaborate a bit more about how the two compare? It reads like they have quite a similar sound signature.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #595 of 751
Interesting to read about your comparison between the Burson Soloist 3xp and the Cayin! Can you elaborate a bit more about how the two compare? It reads like they have quite a similar sound signature.
They actually are quite similar. Differences are small, changes in the holographic music projection. The Burson Soloist 3xp has a larger soundstage and presence. The music hits harder and almost shakes you. I attribute the Soloist's ample power and wide bandwidth design.

The Cayin iHA-6 has a smaller soundstage, due to the mids are more forward with excellent clarity, this effect synergizes with the PRAT to make for a very musical, more forward presentation than the Soloist. The Bass and Sub-bass of the iHA-6 is slightly less than the Soloist, but it has a livelier presentation and PRAT.

I am feeding them with a Gustard A22, which is very resolving.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #598 of 751
Hello,

This one was somewhat an impulse purchase - as I am a completionnist and really, really curious about this one. In fact, this not really that a usless purchase as my new DAP (FiiO M11 Plus) is not that powerful plus I live somewhat in two places, so I did not return this even if maybe I should have... :p

First remark : my unit is not noisy at all and I have either been really lucky with my Cayin gear, or problems are rare, or even my very slight tinnitus covers it (I doubt it as I am pretty sensitive to noise but who knows ?). I only used it unbalanced with all combinations of settings and outputs (low and high impedance) and all is OK.

I am pretty happy with the power of this thing, it seems to drive my AKG 712 Pro really fine, surely better that the FiiO alone or than the (closer-sounding) motherboard. I do not know how to descirbe it but there seems to be more resolution and a cleaner signal overall (with better separation also), this is particularly clear on the AKG. Actually, I did not really liked the K712 but with this I actually like what I hear, I do not know why since it goes against my beliefs but the overall difference makes it sound "full" where I found it a bit lacking.

The combination with the iDac-6 Mk2 is quite an interesting pair since I can chose tube sound (which is really better for the Sennheiser 560S but not that greath with the AKG) or SS sound (which is better for AKG 712 Pro). Of course, a real tube amp like HA-1A Mk2 produces a more refined sound, but overall we got a similar experience with the benefit of a very versatile and powerful gear with the i-series stack.

1631571168553.png

1631571199468.png

If I can confirm that there is no noise with the balanced setting, that seems to be a pretty solid endgame candidate : plenty of power, no colour added to the sound, very solid performance, not that expensive (for Hifi gear), very good form factor, good-looking.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #599 of 751
Hello,

This one was somewhat an impulse purchase - as I am a completionnist and really, really curious about this one. In fact, this not really that a usless purchase as my new DAP (FiiO M11 Plus) is not that powerful plus I live somewhat in two places, so I did not return this even if maybe I should have... :p

First remark : my unit is not noisy at all and I have either been really lucky with my Cayin gear, or problems are rare, or even my very slight tinnitus covers it (I doubt it as I am pretty sensitive to noise but who knows ?). I only used it unbalanced with all combinations of settings and outputs (low and high impedance) and all is OK.

I am pretty happy with the power of this thing, it seems to drive my AKG 712 Pro really fine, surely better that the FiiO alone or than the (closer-sounding) motherboard. I do not know how to descirbe it but there seems to be more resolution and a cleaner signal overall (with better separation also), this is particularly clear on the AKG. Actually, I did not really liked the K712 but with this I actually like what I hear, I do not know why since it goes against my beliefs but the overall difference makes it sound "full" where I found it a bit lacking.

The combination with the iDac-6 Mk2 is quite an interesting pair since I can chose tube sound (which is really better for the Sennheiser 560S but not that greath with the AKG) or SS sound (which is better for AKG 712 Pro). Of course, a real tube amp like HA-1A Mk2 produces a more refined sound, but overall we got a similar experience with the benefit of a very versatile and powerful gear with the i-series stack.

1631571168553.png

1631571199468.png

If I can confirm that there is no noise with the balanced setting, that seems to be a pretty solid endgame candidate : plenty of power, no colour added to the sound, very solid performance, not that expensive (for Hifi gear), very good form factor, good-looking.

Your AKG is pretty much single-ended by design, you can use a custom make Dual XLR3 to 6.35mm female adapter to try out the balanced output from iHA-6, you won't enjoy balanced driver out of it, but you get a significantly lower output impedance from the dual XLR3 output, this should improve the overall control and offer tighter bass. Using balanced for Senn 560S is straight forward, you can change the headphone cable or re-terminate the cable to XLR4. Worth a try in IMHO.

I think the biggest advantage of adding iHA6 to your chain is to open up the opportunity to try out some demanding headphones such as HEDDphone. Alternatively if you run into a pair of second hand HiFiman HE6, definitely considered it seriously, the iHA-6 is one of the few compact headphone amplifier that can deliver impressive dynamic form this power hungry planar.

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #600 of 751
Yes I intend to purchase more demanding headphones in the future (I did not know about HEDDphone, at first I thought you made a typo but they seem to be pretty solid candidates), for now I am pretty satisfied but it is clear that my gear is oversized for my current headphones overall. I will receive a Denon D5200 to use in my office but they are only 24 Ohm and really sensitive so it is even a worse use case. :p I will receive a Beyer XLR4 balanced cable in many weeks so I will try it out of curiosity with the Denon. I will also receive XLR3 connectors to try it with the iDAC-6 MK2 even if I do not intend to use it in this stack as the i-series feels just too big to my eyes if we add the HA-1A Mk2 also.

For now I consider HE6se, HD800S (or HD820) and now HEDDPhone thanks to your post. I am not yet really motivated - especially because what I hear from these two headphones is now almost perfect to me - and I did not looked into it that much and I should make a pause now after all these purchases. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back