Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
Oct 7, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #601 of 751
The XLR4 connector only provides R+, R-, L+, L- signal, it doesn't have GROUND signal in the connection. If you want to make an adapter for single-ended headphone, you need to have GROUND signal. If you have to do it, maybe you can custom make an adapter from the dual XLR balanced phone output, You can get R+ and GROUND from the right XLR3 output, and L+ from the left XLR3 output. This will work technically. The dual XLR3 and XLR4 are based on identical circuit, so their output impedance are the same as well.
Hi Andy. I'm really interested in the iHA-6 as my possible endgame Solid State amp. The build, power, features and sound performance are all very appealing but I would like to be able to utilize the dual 3 pins in the front for single ended use. Do you know if a dual mono 1/4" to stereo adapter like this:https://www.amazon.com/SiYear-Stereo-Splitter-Breakout-Cable(50CM/dp/B08WRZFJJ1 would work?

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #603 of 751
You can just use one or the other as a 1/4 inch jack. No adapter needed.
Can I use the adapter to gain access to the balanced output benefits (power, dynamics, ect...) but using the 3XLR ports like Andy has previously mentioned? He said that you could technically run a single ended headphone out of the the 3XLR ports with a custom XLR adapter but I was trying to make my own adapter with various parts sourced online.

Oct 8, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #604 of 751
Late to the Cayin party here but hey, better late as they say!

About a week ago I was fortunate to be offered a demo iHA-6 by the local agents for evaluation.
Thanks Lumous Audio! You knew what you were doing...:wink:

I shall put more words into writing shortly but for now, suffice to say this amp has impressed me immensely.
How impressed? Long story short, I have just paid them for my own unit and await delivery.

I've heard MANY excellent amps and this one absolutely belongs amongst the very best I've experienced.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #605 of 751
I don't recall this being asked and answered but it may be of interest.

@Andykong I am in the habit of leaving my iHA-6 (and other SS gear) powered up for fairly long stretches.
As in 48 - 72 hours and sometimes longer...
I've run some Audio-gd and other gears for a couple of weeks continuously on occasion.

I'm aware of the effects of heat on components, but would hope that this amp is built to deal with this type of usage.
It does get quite warm for a Class AB amp, which leads me to think it resides deep in Class A territory most of the time.

As mine is still very new, will this perhaps be a good way of burning it in?
(I just hate turning it off...) :smile:

What would you recommend? And thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #607 of 751
Could anyone tell me if it is safe to power the iHA-6 up and down with headphones connected?
I realise it has a soft start function, but force of habit tells me to always disconnect first.

I never disconnect my headphones before powering on/off the amp. No problems so far.
I'm also still very impressed with this amp. It might not have the level of detail of, let's say, an RME ADI-2 or a Topping A90, but the high current function just sounds so great with planars!

Dec 4, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #608 of 751
I must say I did not enjoy the A90 that much during the 2 weeks or so I had it.
Extremely competent and powerful but ultimately too clinical for my liking (not nearly at THX 789 levels though).

The iHA-6 using high current setting and low gain + Resonessence Concero + THX-X00 MH balanced is one heckuva nice rig for Rock/Metal.
The Fostex just lurves the current and rewards with tighter, more defined bass and a more controlled, even cleaner high end without a hint of sibilance.

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #609 of 751
I never disconnect my headphones before powering on/off the amp. No problems so far.
I'm also still very impressed with this amp. It might not have the level of detail of, let's say, an RME ADI-2 or a Topping A90, but the high current function just sounds so great with planars!
When in doubt, read the manual...where it clearly states:

"Extensive protection to amplifier and headphone through comprehensive protection circuit including output DC offset voltage, delay mute when power up, and noise compensation when power down."

I rest assured.
Being the curious type, I have another query, this time relating to SE input impedance.

I use the Resonessence Concero which has an output impedance of 300 Ohm.
Wondering if this has any effect on the synergy with iHA-6, which is quoted as having an input SENSITIVITY of 620mV (High Current, High Gain).
The Concero outputs a maximum 1.2V.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #611 of 751
I recently went on an amp shopping spree. I've been jumping between my three favourites for a few weeks now (Singxer SA-1, Audio-gd Master 19, Cayin iHA-6). All using either a 2Qute or Hugo TT.
Although the Cayin doesn't have any pre-amp features (a deal breaker for me), it's definitely the one I'm keeping over the other two. It can control my balanced 990 600 Ohm so much better than the other two amps. Those cans come off a little sibilant on the Audio-gd and are kinda woolly on the Singxer. That's running both of the those amps high gain/at or near full volume. The Cayin doesn't need to go past 12 o'clock to drive that headphone to unlistenable volumes. Well controlled low end and highs. Seems to make cans more dynamic too; got quite the pleasant surprise when I jumped onto CoD at the weekend running my 560s on the Cayin - punchy!

May 31, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #613 of 751
Newcomer to the IHA-6 amp.. just got a used one today.. man this amp has power, on High gain I can't go anything higher than 10 o'clock using my Susvara!!

quick question, in terms of the Current output setting, Low Current seems to sound better with Susvara, cleaner treble, and wider soundstage... on a High current amp sounds much warmer than low current with lesser soundstage width.....

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #614 of 751
Newcomer to the IHA-6 amp.. just got a used one today.. man this amp has power, on High gain I can't go anything higher than 10 o'clock using my Susvara!!

quick question, in terms of the Current output setting, Low Current seems to sound better with Susvara, cleaner treble, and wider soundstage... on a High current amp sounds much warmer than low current with lesser soundstage width.....
Welcome to the Cayin Club! I'm sure that you will enjoy the IHA-6 more and more as you get familiar with it.
Suzy at 60 Ohm impedance needs power more than current, so low (normal) current setting "ought" to work better.
High current setting reduces power output quite significantly, and the Susvara needs as much powa as it can get!

At 65 Ohm the IHA-6 delivers 3.6W in high current mode and a stonking 5.8W in low current mode according to the company's own specs.
Enjoy your new amp! 🍻

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #615 of 751
Welcome to the Cayin Club! I'm sure that you will enjoy the IHA-6 more and more as you get familiar with it.
Suzy at 60 Ohm impedance needs power more than current, so low (normal) current setting "ought" to work better.
High current setting reduces power output quite significantly, and the Susvara needs as much powa as it can get!

At 65 Ohm the IHA-6 delivers 3.6W in high current mode and a stonking 5.8W in low current mode according to the company's own specs.
Enjoy your new amp! 🍻
Oh thanks for the information... yap that extra power might be the reason for better sound on low current mode

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back