Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
Jun 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #392 of 751
I've been considering this amp but have read about hiss/buzz issues on a couple different forums. Is this an issue for everyone but only a few people mention it?

I think this is a quite rare issue. I've only seen it brought up twice.

I've had the iha-6 for about 6 months now, and I've had absolutely no issues so far.

Edit: I'm running with an Audiolab M-DAC and the Cayin iha-6, fully balanced all the way through. And usually with either HD650 or HE-400i's

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #393 of 751
I've been considering this amp but have read about hiss/buzz issues on a couple different forums. Is this an issue for everyone but only a few people mention it?

I’m going on 2 years now with mine. Works as well now as when I got it - flawlessly.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #394 of 751

Can you tell me what headphones you plan to use with iHA-6?

Several reviewers and users have used IEMs with iHA-6 with favorable result, that's why I won't hesitate to recommend iHA-6 to users with very sensitive headphones. I honestly didn't worry about the background noise (or hissing) issue of iHA-6.

If there are comments about hiss/buzz issue of iHA-6 on a couple different forums, I would like to check them out. Can you please PM the link to me? I am not sure if we can post the link of other (or competing) forum directly.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #395 of 751
Can you tell me what headphones you plan to use with iHA-6?

Several reviewers and users have used IEMs with iHA-6 with favorable result, that's why I won't hesitate to recommend iHA-6 to users with very sensitive headphones. I honestly didn't worry about the background noise (or hissing) issue of iHA-6.

If there are comments about hiss/buzz issue of iHA-6 on a couple different forums, I would like to check them out. Can you please PM the link to me? I am not sure if we can post the link of other (or competing) forum directly.

Hello,
I've been testing putting the iHA-6 in high current voltage as you suggested with my Focal Clear.
I don't have the buzzing sound when set on high but SQ gets bad. Soundstage get thinner, treble seem weirdly accentuated.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #396 of 751
Hello,
I've been testing putting the iHA-6 in high current voltage as you suggested with my Focal Clear.
I don't have the buzzing sound when set on high but SQ gets bad. Soundstage get thinner, treble seem weirdly accentuated.

Interesting. In that case, try low current high gain, let's see if this will also cause the buzzing sound.

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #398 of 751
The single ended output sounds like every other mid-fi single ended SS output, so nothing special. The downside is the impedance. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but from what I understand, ideally you want your amp's output impedance to be at worst 1/5th the headphone's impedance. Ideally around 1/8th. Yes, it's more complicated than just that, but this is the main thing you need to know for selecting the right amp for your headphones. It has to be a good match because otherwise it can mess with the frequency response, especially with certain types of drivers. So if you think about it, 10 ohm output impedance limits you to at worst 50 ohm impedance headphones (ideally higher). Most headphones on the market these days are around 32 ohms - many even lower, especially those that come with 1/4 inch termination for single ended use. So it limits the single ended use options and really doesn't make any sense to me when you consider that people with high end headphones would use the balanced output anyway.

Agree 100% with this - I switched today to a balanced cable for my headphones and huge improvement.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #399 of 751
Just tried it, I'm getting some noise/hiss on high gain.

I sent Andy a pm with multiple instances of people reporting hiss. He said he was "speechless" over my ignoring positive reviews, and claimed that any hiss is the result of factors other than the amp. So have fun with that.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #403 of 751
Just tried it, I'm getting some noise/hiss on high gain.

Some background noise is quite normal when you use high gain with Focal Clear, the High Gain is +16dB from the Low Gain, and the Focal Clear has a fairly high sensitivity.

The strange part is the buzzing sound only occurs at low gain, low sensitivity. This doesn't sound right. I have used this setting with Focal Clear and Utopia in AXPONA (April 2018) recently and it works very well.

I'll drop you a PM to collect the serial number and dealer information, I hope you can audition your Focal Clear with another iHA-6 to verify your problem.

Last edited:

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #404 of 751
Some background noise is quite normal when you use high gain with Focal Clear, the High Gain is +16dB from the Low Gain, and the Focal Clear has a fairly high sensitivity.

The strange part is the buzzing sound only occurs at low gain, low sensitivity. This doesn't sound right. I have used this setting with Focal Clear and Utopia in AXPONA (April 2018) recently and it works very well.

I'll drop you a PM to collect the serial number and dealer information, I hope you can audition your Focal Clear with another iHA-6 to verify your problem.

Ok, I'll be waiting for your PM.
The buzzing sound doesn't occur immediately after I turn the amp on, it comes maybe 5-10min after that.
I'll try to find somewhere to try another iHA-6 but I don't think I will find one close to me :/

Jun 29, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #405 of 751
Ok, I'll be waiting for your PM.
The buzzing sound doesn't occur immediately after I turn the amp on, it comes maybe 5-10min after that.
I'll try to find somewhere to try another iHA-6 but I don't think I will find one close to me :/

This actually sounds like there could be something wrong with it. My first unit was crackling really bad on arrival, the dealer instantly replaced it and the new one was flawless. I figured I was just unlucky. The hiss you hear with sensitive cans has nothing to do with a defective unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back