Cayin iHA-6 - US Tour and reviews
Apr 4, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #362 of 751
Ordered the IHA-6 last night from MusicTeck. I wanted to try to get it within a day or two, but they informed me that it'd be drop shipping directly from Cayin in China. Slightly unfortunate, but they quickly refunded the extra money I paid for faster shipping. Should have it in about a week!

Given my preference for a warm sound some of the impressions of it being north of neutral do have me slightly concerned. Hopefully my Metrum Onyx adds just the right amount of NOS warmth so that it isn't too bright and fatiguing for my tastes.

May 6, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #364 of 751
Nice first video review ive seen for the iha6.

Very helpful.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #365 of 751
I'm looking for some more info on the iha6 as I am not able to demo it around my parts

I spent some time listening to elear, lcd 2 and hifiman ed x v2 today demoing the ifi micro dsd bl, questyle 600i (single ended) using a chord qutest dac

The ifi micro bl i found a little on the dry/analytical side particularly on the upper half of sound. Very clean soudn though. I'm thinking this will be a great value pairing with my metrum NOS hex. The dac should give it a touch of euphonic/ softer element i crave for (my main set up is the hd800 with my wa2)

The questyle i found had a chunk more depth, fuller character/more details. I preferred the chord dac than the internal dac - not surprisingly so. I also think my metrum dac would pair up well with this.

Wondering how the cayin iha6 may compare to these two so as i can get a better idea of which way i should go

any experience views will be much appreciated.

as mentioned above the ifi seems like great value with no need for balanced cables. whereas if i went the cayin pricing would be roughly the same $800v $900 AUD) but i would need to convert my cables to xlr and then get an xlr to 1/4" adapter so as to use on my wa2 too.

cheers
peter

May 8, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #366 of 751
I
I'm looking for some more info on the iha6 as I am not able to demo it around my parts

I spent some time listening to elear, lcd 2 and hifiman ed x v2 today demoing the ifi micro dsd bl, questyle 600i (single ended) using a chord qutest dac

The ifi micro bl i found a little on the dry/analytical side particularly on the upper half of sound. Very clean soudn though. I'm thinking this will be a great value pairing with my metrum NOS hex. The dac should give it a touch of euphonic/ softer element i crave for (my main set up is the hd800 with my wa2)

The questyle i found had a chunk more depth, fuller character/more details. I preferred the chord dac than the internal dac - not surprisingly so. I also think my metrum dac would pair up well with this.

Wondering how the cayin iha6 may compare to these two so as i can get a better idea of which way i should go

any experience views will be much appreciated.

as mentioned above the ifi seems like great value with no need for balanced cables. whereas if i went the cayin pricing would be roughly the same $800v $900 AUD) but i would need to convert my cables to xlr and then get an xlr to 1/4" adapter so as to use on my wa2 too.

cheers
peter

I use the micro BL DAC with the iha-6 because I enjoy the burr brown smoothness for the highs. I'm not sure how it compares to those other two but the difference between the balanced out on the iha-6 and the micro BL is night and day.

I did compare it to the iCan pro and found the iha-6 to have noticeably faster transients. So I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. If you want speed and transient response improvements, I can't think of anything better than the IHA-6. It's fast and agile with a surprisingly deep soundstage (wider than the BL but not too wide). Absolutely smokes the Jotunheim for example.

May 8, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #367 of 751
I

I use the micro BL DAC with the iha-6 because I enjoy the burr brown smoothness for the highs. I'm not sure how it compares to those other two but the difference between the balanced out on the iha-6 and the micro BL is night and day.

I did compare it to the iCan pro and found the iha-6 to have noticeably faster transients. So I'd say it depends on what you are looking for. If you want speed and transient response improvements, I can't think of anything better than the IHA-6. It's fast and agile with a surprisingly deep soundstage (wider than the BL but not too wide). Absolutely smokes the Jotunheim for example.
If the cayin is quite a neutral amp is it any drier than the ifi amp? Is there (a little) more warmth from the cayin amp?

Any issue with sharp or aggressive highs?
Is the sound nicely balanced?
What headphones do you use?

Thanks

May 8, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #368 of 751
If the cayin is quite a neutral amp is it any drier than the ifi amp? Is there (a little) more warmth from the cayin amp?

Any issue with sharp or aggressive highs?
Is the sound nicely balanced?
What headphones do you use?

Thanks

It's certainly not a warm amp. Its all about speed, texture and depth. But with that said, tones sound richer and more full/thicker than the micro BL. I don't think that makes it dry sounding by any means, so it depends on what you mean by 'dry'. It doesn't add any "pleasant imperfections" the way a tube amp does, so maybe that's the kind thing you should consider if you want a more warm and wet sound.

No sharp or aggressive highs, but that's with the burr brown DAC. I'm not sure how it would do with an ESS. The image is also very three dimensional, a big improvement over the ifi amp.

For reference I currently use the Aeon flow open, and AQ Nightowl balanced with it because those are the more revealing of my headphones. The amp doesn't pair well with overly sensitive cans though unless you have an XLR attenuator, keep that in mind.

You should probably also consider the lyr 3, the MCTH, and the hpa4bl. For a hint of warmth at wetness those might do well, but the iha-6 destroys them in terms of dynamics and transient response.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #369 of 751
It's certainly not a warm amp. Its all about speed, texture and depth. But with that said, tones sound richer and more full/thicker than the micro BL. I don't think that makes it dry sounding by any means, so it depends on what you mean by 'dry'. It doesn't add any "pleasant imperfections" the way a tube amp does, so maybe that's the kind thing you should consider if you want a more warm and wet sound.

No sharp or aggressive highs, but that's with the burr brown DAC. I'm not sure how it would do with an ESS. The image is also very three dimensional, a big improvement over the ifi amp.

For reference I currently use the Aeon flow open, and AQ Nightowl balanced with it because those are the more revealing of my headphones. The amp doesn't pair well with overly sensitive cans though unless you have an XLR attenuator, keep that in mind.

You should probably also consider the lyr 3, the MCTH, and the hpa4bl. For a hint of warmth at wetness those might do well, but the iha-6 destroys them in terms of dynamics and transient response.
Thanks for getting back.

I already have the tube sound covered with my woo wa2 but but looking for a solid ss choice too.

I have borrows a friends ifi micro bl and that has come up pretty decent with my hex dac. The dac brings some nice quality and gives the sound a warm touch/overtones.

I’m confident it would do the same with the Iha6. Just umming and erring because of needing to go to balanced cables with additional 1/4 inch connector hanging off the end when needing to be used

(I could get two cables but....$$$$.)

Juat needing some “assurance” that tha iha6 will bring a slightly sweeter tone than the ifi. I guess when i use the term dry for the ifi it means i’m needing something a tad less clinical or just a slight rounder aound of notes. I don’t find the ifi amp part sharp at all just dry. You know, dry.?.?.? :)

Cheers

Edit add: the ifi has come up well for me but I’m happy for more

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #370 of 751
Thanks for getting back.

I already have the tube sound covered with my woo wa2 but but looking for a solid ss choice too.

I have borrows a friends ifi micro bl and that has come up pretty decent with my hex dac. The dac brings some nice quality and gives the sound a warm touch/overtones.

I’m confident it would do the same with the Iha6. Just umming and erring because of needing to go to balanced cables with additional 1/4 inch connector hanging off the end when needing to be used

(I could get two cables but....$$$$.)

Juat needing some “assurance” that tha iha6 will bring a slightly sweeter tone than the ifi. I guess when i use the term dry for the ifi it means i’m needing something a tad less clinical or just a slight rounder aound of notes. I don’t find the ifi amp part sharp at all just dry. You know, dry.?.?.? :)

Cheers

Edit add: the ifi has come up well for me but I’m happy for more

The IHA-6 is easily the best SS amp under $1k and it blows the micro BL away in terms of engagement and performance. But you may also want to check out the iCan Pro. I think I may prefer the IHA-6 over that one but it also likely depends on your headphones and the type of sound you're looking for.

If you want speed and punchy dynamics, go for the iha-6. If you want full, rich, round tones, go for the iCan Pro. If you want traditionally 'sweet' sound, go for the HPA4BL. The latter isn't on the performance level of the other two but it has that sweetness.

May 14, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #371 of 751
I've read everywhere about how amazing the XLR output is. But how about the single-ended output? And why does everyone make a big deal about the output impedances being at 10 ohms (for low) and 120 ohms (for high)?

May 15, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #372 of 751
I've read everywhere about how amazing the XLR output is. But how about the single-ended output? And why does everyone make a big deal about the output impedances being at 10 ohms (for low) and 120 ohms (for high)?

The single ended output sounds like every other mid-fi single ended SS output, so nothing special. The downside is the impedance. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but from what I understand, ideally you want your amp's output impedance to be at worst 1/5th the headphone's impedance. Ideally around 1/8th. Yes, it's more complicated than just that, but this is the main thing you need to know for selecting the right amp for your headphones. It has to be a good match because otherwise it can mess with the frequency response, especially with certain types of drivers. So if you think about it, 10 ohm output impedance limits you to at worst 50 ohm impedance headphones (ideally higher). Most headphones on the market these days are around 32 ohms - many even lower, especially those that come with 1/4 inch termination for single ended use. So it limits the single ended use options and really doesn't make any sense to me when you consider that people with high end headphones would use the balanced output anyway.

May 17, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #373 of 751
i have also posted this in the idac 6 thread...

after contemplating the iha 6 for sometime and getting my ducks, gear and money in a row, and with views and advice I have had here i have an iha 6 incoming - particularly for my elear and lcd2

should i be looking at the idac 6?

my current dac is the metrum hex nos dac. I considerate "analogue-ish" in sound.
Nicely layered, spacious and quite detailed within that. a touch of warmth within that analogue presentation.
I am a huge fan of it with no impulse to ever change it

is the idac 6 likely to present anything better or at least significantly different enough to consider it?

i was considering the filters it offers but from what i understand they are more subtle than not

i am happy to allocate idac 6 funds to other equipment

any experienced views and more than appreciated

thanks
peter t

May 20, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #374 of 751
Hi,

I wonder if my unit is faulty but with my Focal Clear I sometimes get some buzzing noise when nothing is playing and other times very loud noise. However it never happens with my HE-500, I'm using the balanced output for both.

The noise stops when I plug the HE-500 but it comes back when I plug the Clear.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #375 of 751
Hi,

I wonder if my unit is faulty but with my Focal Clear I sometimes get some buzzing noise when nothing is playing and other times very loud noise. However it never happens with my HE-500, I'm using the balanced output for both.

The noise stops when I plug the HE-500 but it comes back when I plug the Clear.

output impedance issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back