Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Aug 13, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #406 of 424
Thanks for your reply, do you remember which model/speed you bought ? I see 300 mb/s UHS-II Kingston cards, they are pretty "expensive" (not that much in the grand scheme of things, but as I do not need SD cards - especially the standard size models - for anything else, if it does not work it is pretty much a wasted purchase so if UHS-I is enough, it is great news) and I am not even sure whether the iDap can fully use it. I think I have an older 16Go 90mbps Sandisk card, I have yet to find it to try, as it is not at home.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #407 of 424
Thanks for your reply, do you remember which model/speed you bought ? I see 300 mb/s UHS-II Kingston cards, they are pretty "expensive" (not that much in the grand scheme of things, but as I do not need SD cards - especially the standard size models - for anything else, if it does not work it is pretty much a wasted purchase so if UHS-I is enough, it is great news) and I am not even sure whether the iDap can fully use it. I think I have an older 16Go 90mbps Sandisk card, I have yet to find it to try, as it is not at home.
It is this one - https://www.kingston.com/en/memory-cards/canvas-go-plus-sd-card?partnum=sdg3/256gb and it is not very expensive but i think Cayin don't support over 256 gb capacity so it is probably better to use some external SSD drive or to "made" external with some housing and any SSD (as i said i have no problem with my external HD drive - no drop out or anything) ....

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #408 of 424
It is this one - https://www.kingston.com/en/memory-cards/canvas-go-plus-sd-card?partnum=sdg3/256gb and it is not very expensive but i think Cayin don't support over 256 gb capacity so it is probably better to use some external SSD drive or to "made" external with some housing and any SSD (as i said i have no problem with my external HD drive - no drop out or anything) ....
Thanks, I've ordered a 128 Gb one, I only have ~30-35 Go of music and this includes CDs I never listen to so I have plenty room for now.
And yes I do not really need it as I use a 2Tb WD HDD for now (which works flawlessly as already stated), however I really want to use it with the little front "door" closed ^^ It might sound silly but that is why I already feel a bit bad having wasted 50euros on the Samsung SD card (maybe I will find someone who needs it) and to have also puchased a SD card reader which I do not use. :p

So we'll see, if it does not work maybe I will have to use my camera again to fill the old SD card and so find a use for the Kingston.

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #409 of 424
Hello,

I have received the Kingston card and I am happy to report that it worked without any problem this time : all four songs completed without skipping or freezing. Maybe there was something in the Samsung which « halted » data stream : either a software mechanism or a too variable reading rate (I noticed when I wrote to the Kingston that the rate was perfectly flat, did not compare to the Samsung). I can live with one or two crashes from time to time, but the Samsung failed on every track and couldn’t even build a less than 1000 tracks library…

Unfortunately I had to go to vacation so I did not try to « Update the library » with the full 2000 tracks+ but with 320 tracks it completed without any sign of halting (while Samsung seemed to halt).

So thanks again, I was pretty annoyed to throw money blindly on SD cards, and if someone buys the iDap, the Kingston really seems to be a card to go to (plus it is cheaper than many brands which perform worse so it is a deal-breaker).

EDIT : if someone wonders, I finally tried it with 1200-1300 songs and it completed without issue (playback was also flawless), so I can use it exclusively. Now my stack is much more beautiful - and thus satisfying -with the little trap door closed :p

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #411 of 424
Hello,

I have received the Kingston card and I am happy to report that it worked without any problem this time : all four songs completed without skipping or freezing. Maybe there was something in the Samsung which « halted » data stream : either a software mechanism or a too variable reading rate (I noticed when I wrote to the Kingston that the rate was perfectly flat, did not compare to the Samsung). I can live with one or two crashes from time to time, but the Samsung failed on every track and couldn’t even build a less than 1000 tracks library…

Unfortunately I had to go to vacation so I did not try to « Update the library » with the full 2000 tracks+ but with 320 tracks it completed without any sign of halting (while Samsung seemed to halt).

So thanks again, I was pretty annoyed to throw money blindly on SD cards, and if someone buys the iDap, the Kingston really seems to be a card to go to (plus it is cheaper than many brands which perform worse so it is a deal-breaker).
Very glad that it come this way....sometime some things just don't work together even in theory everything should be fine....that samsung will probably work OK as a storage for photos or similar....

Sep 15, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #412 of 424
I am in the market for a network DAP with AM support. After reading the thread and looking at what Cayin is doing with the N6, I will wait and see if they come out with a MKii with Android OS, which is probably the way to go with such a product. The N6 seems to do what I want, but I don't need the small form factor. I have Mojo / Poly now which can get AM streams, and may go the Hugo2 / 2go route, and do more of the same, but I do want to explore non Chord DACs having a DAP that support AM would help in that regard.

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #413 of 424
@Andykong Andy, Do you happen to know if the IDAP-6 will allowing Airplay streaming from Apple Music, and then feed that signal to a DAC via the Optical output?

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #414 of 424
Hello,

EDIT : if someone wonders, I finally tried it with 1200-1300 songs and it completed without issue (playback was also flawless), so I can use it exclusively. Now my stack is much more beautiful - and thus satisfying -with the little trap door closed :p
May I ask how you are getting on with the unit now? Have you tried using Airplay with it yet?

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #415 of 424
May I ask how you are getting on with the unit now? Have you tried using Airplay with it yet?
Hello,

Honestly I have given up using it with any network option. I tried again out of curiosity some days ago and it stdoes not work.
I can see it in Windows or in the network admin box but iPHone, iPad etc. do not list it. Maybe it is « deprecated » by new Apple OS ? Or maybe it is a compatibilité problème with my router ?

In my house, it is only a card/hdd reader which is fine for my use but if I had to stay objective, it is not worth the price.

Jun 16, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #416 of 424
Hi guys,
Just received my iDAP6 for my Ferrum stack with Holo Spring3 KTE.
But I'm struggling with the technical topic, how to stream qobuz hi res files.
I don't want to use the Bluetooth connection. So, is it possible to use the hiby app and connect the DAP6 via the wlan connection? Until now, I used my N8ii DAP, but with regards to the charging issues, I want to use a solid state gear.
Any ideas? May be, this topic was raised before, but I couldn't find the right answer.
Thank you so much!

Jul 10, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #418 of 424
@Andykong :

Hello , after buying the above mentioned equipment TJ : CAYIN IDAP 6 , I started reading this very forum . I read carefully and I don't hide that all your statements twice , super you answer , but you don't necessarily answer the questions asked to the users/lucky people (I guess they are not quite satisfied) , you answer as you were taught ,,,

Would you like me for example: because not far away when CAYIN company will have an exhibition in Germany, I just appeared with the device and in front of customers began to ask about the mistakes that the company you represent in the programming of CAYIN a IDAP 6 ?

colleague ANDY :

Mistakes are many , I know it and you know that these devices do not meet certain standards : for example : LAN/Ethernet , broken connections , stabilization during SD playback , etc....

So I will ask you directly (you can pass this to your bosses/engineers) will these errors be corrected , that we should not pay for what is not mentioned on your website/online stores ?

I'm waiting for your answer , no answer , that means all the mistakes you made will not be corrected .

I will continue the thread .

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Michael

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #419 of 424
@Andykong :

Hello , after buying the above mentioned equipment TJ : CAYIN IDAP 6 , I started reading this very forum . I read carefully and I don't hide that all your statements twice , super you answer , but you don't necessarily answer the questions asked to the users/lucky people (I guess they are not quite satisfied) , you answer as you were taught ,,,

Would you like me for example: because not far away when CAYIN company will have an exhibition in Germany, I just appeared with the device and in front of customers began to ask about the mistakes that the company you represent in the programming of CAYIN a IDAP 6 ?

colleague ANDY :

Mistakes are many , I know it and you know that these devices do not meet certain standards : for example : LAN/Ethernet , broken connections , stabilization during SD playback , etc....

So I will ask you directly (you can pass this to your bosses/engineers) will these errors be corrected , that we should not pay for what is not mentioned on your website/online stores ?

I'm waiting for your answer , no answer , that means all the mistakes you made will not be corrected .

I will continue the thread .

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Michael

Sorry, I didn't read your complaint until now. Although I am Cayin's rep. on HeadFi forum, I am taking care of online marketing for three brands concurrently, and my role is primarily about marketing new products.

I hope you have brought your complaint to your Cayin dealer already. When you run into anything that bothers you and you need official support, your dealer is your first and best point of contact. I try to be helpful in the forum, but I can't be as responsive as your dealer, and I can't resolve your discontent. If you cannot get hold of your dealer, please drop me a PM and I'll try to contact our Sales manager to give the dealer a push.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #420 of 424
I joined this site just to post this.

The reason you are having issues with streaming from a NAS with this device is that the embedded controller appears to be running a very old version of the Linux kernel, with the embedded OS having a CIFS client which does not support SMBv2 - this is normally the minimum version of the protocol on modern Windows and Linux CIFS servers (e.g. Samba) with SMBv3 being the proper standard.

With a Samba container (I use dperson/samba from dockerhub @ v4.12.2) and the following configuration (inserted by dperson's samba.sh script into smb.conf):

min protocol = LANMAN1

The iDAP will at last browse the share and play music with no hiccups. You need to disable authentication in order to avoid the annoying issue that it can't save credentials (you still get prompted for credentials and have to select 'OK' without entering any). Of course this protocol as well as the anonymous access is totally insecure, but it works. I would recommend if you can creating a server with a share on it that is just for music using the insecure settings, then run another container for other things that should be encrypted in transit properly.

If you are running a modern Windows NAS you might not be able to do this.

The random MAC spoofing the iDAP does on reboot is exceptionally annoying. The DLNA quirks that mean (for me) this feature doesn't work either, is exceptionally annoying. The crashing when indexing an SD card is exceptionally annoying. But finally I got NAS browsing working which is the main thing I wanted it for. As I told my retailer, I was quite astonished that anyone can make a modern device that relies on protocols that went out of support 20 years ago.

The audio quality from this unit is absolutely outstanding and definitely better than USB DAC from a laptop to the iDAC and it was just a bit of a disappointment how nothing worked properly with this device on the network. Cayin must know that the embedded OS doesn't support SMBv2 and upwards, and they must know that - unless they were testing this against a Windows NT4 server - it wouldn't work on something more modern without protocols being forcibly downgraded. It feels like it would have been quite simple to just say this in the documentation, or in this forum, or on their website, or something instead of saying nonsense things like 'your router isn't compatible' - IP is IP.

My configuration:

iDAP-6 (i2s,Ethernet) Firmware version v2.0.1 Beta - as supplied new I have not upgraded or otherwise changed this
iDAC-6 Mk2
iHA-6

Juniper EX2200c switch running VLANs (iDAP physical port and Samba share on VLAN/LACP trunk in the same native 'media' VLAN)
Bespoke router/firewall running opnsense 22.7
Bespoke NAS running Debian Linux and docker container hosting samba share dperson/samba:latest
Samba container with own IP address on the media VLAN using macvlan driver
Environment variable for the samba container SMB=TRUE (this downgrades the auth protocol to NTLMv1 and results in the "min protocol" option in smb.conf above)
Basic share setup with the defaults (guest ok = yes, browseable = yes, readonly = yes)
NMBD=TRUE (I believe NetBIOS name discovery is required for the iDAP to work as you can't otherwise specify a server)
Workgroup = "WORKGROUP" (I think the iDAP might not work unless it's called exactly this)
No users or passwords configured

Bear in mind that my packet captures while troubleshooting this device show it tries to ping its default gateway on the network after it gets its IP address. I have allowed ping on my firewall so it succeeds in this, I suspect the device might not work properly if it can't ping the dgw set by your DHCP server as part of its startup sequence (in my case this is the .1 address on the /24 subnet).

Trying to make the iDAP work across VLANs is likely to be highly problematic due to reliance on multicast for NetBIOS names and certainly for DLNA if that is something that works for you (it doesn't for me) so I would advise against it if you can.

But I hope this helps some of you.

NOTE: If anyone has worked out why it crashes updating its library from an SD card please let me know. It happens on file 7707 out of 11,000-something for me, I assume it's something like a file name or bit of metadata that is too long or contains an illegal character but I have no idea what it is to fix it as there is no proper error or log to look at. It would be great if it just skipped that file rather than totally bomb out and shut down...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back