Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Aug 6, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #3,316 of 3,742
I was a sucker for volume knobs.

It is very nice though :)

Just got a new leather case for mine, pretty nice:

i5case.png

I don't use Tidal and such so I don't run into the problems with that, and don't use the bluetooth much with it (have a Shanling M1 and other devices that i use that more often with wireless earphones). Would be nice if the blutooth playback controls worked better with the hiby player, but as I can use other players on occasions i need to it's not as much of a problem. Other than that, it does what I need and sounds nice, so :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,317 of 3,742
It is very nice though :)

Just got a new leather case for mine, pretty nice:

i5case.png

I don't use Tidal and such so I don't run into the problems with that, and don't use the bluetooth much with it (have a Shanling M1 and other devices that i use that more often with wireless earphones). Would be nice if the blutooth playback controls worked better with the hiby player, but as I can use other players on occasions i need to it's not as much of a problem. Other than that, it does what I need and sounds nice, so :)
Me too!!! I just enjoy stock player.
20170806_085843.jpg
20170806_085732.jpg

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #3,318 of 3,742
Got this answer from Dignis when i contacted them if they could make a leather case for Cayin i5

Thank you for contacting our company.

Unfortunately, we have no production plan for Cayin i5 case yet. and we don't have a custom service.
If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to contact us at anytime.
Thank you for taking your time to contact us. We are always glad to assist you.

Best regards,
http://dignis.co.kr

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,319 of 3,742
Has anyone noticed that cool animation on the screen where you turn off Cayin i5 screen, it looks like those old CRT TVs that have their image evaporate into the singularity in center of screen when you turn it off.

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #3,320 of 3,742
Just had a few mins to play with settings and here's what I found-- the i5 for whatever reason will not download/cache any of the playlists beyond 1gb. At 1gb it says no storage left (even when there's 29gb+ left on INTERNAL. And I cannot seem to get Google Music to download to SD card, which I feared would happen. Unfortunately without root access on the i5, I can't dive further into the folders and data to see what the issue could be. Just wanted to pass along what I found!

Can you locate the downloaded file in the internal storage? I want to make sure it goes to the 32G data drive instead of storing as hidden file on the 4G system storage.

For the 1GB data you have donwloaded so far, can you play any songs successfully? It not, can you create a playlist with only 3-4 songs, well within 1GB so you can download that from Google music to the player, and check out whether you play these songs?

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #3,321 of 3,742
I have saved up to buy Cayin i5 I have a realy important question
I read that Cayin i5 have 1 + 4GB of internal memory for music playing and 32GB of internal
4GB+32GB, perhaps the 4GB is dedicated for the OS so that users can utilize the 32GB for storage files.
And yes, it does have a microSD card slot that supports up to 200GB of microSD card.

This i read in review, But now my question
I listen to music normaly without MicroSD card on my mp3 player, This metod i use i put it in dap mode i browse by artist
i dont use the folder browsing (files-folder) the idtag is correct on the music files this way. but rather (music-artist)
I carry around 32Gb of music usualy.

With Cayin i5 i read it have only 4GB of internal memory for music without card for music but 32GB of internal storage files
i dont understand this explaination.

Does this mean i can not use 32GB internal for music?
it say 32GB can be used for storage files.
can 32GB only be used browsing music by folders mode
or can i browse music by artist mode without using folder mode with 32GB without Card.
This 4gB only can be a problem for me

Is 4GB music storage for the music files i download with the player from internet using the Cayini5 to download,
because this i wont do, i will only copy over the music i have on my pc by conecting cayin i5 to the player, can i then use the 32GB storage to play the music without a Microsd card?
i prefer not use a microsd

Does Cayin i5 include a microsd card (how big) or must i buy one separate
what Microsd card size is recomended to use for Cayin i5 for best relation speed and price

Thank you

Update:
I found this review that easy explain that i5 have 32GB of internal flash memory
this is easy for me to understand, thanks for this review i feel better
https://twister6.com/2017/03/03/cayin-i5/

It dont say 4Gb music+32gb internal storage files
it say 32GB of internal flash memory which then make me think
i can store 32GB of music files and browse it by artist rather than folder browsing.

i5 has 4+32GB internal memory, the 4GB are designated for System usage, users are not suppose to access them. The 32GB are designated for data, and data include Music, android user files, application files etc etc. Therefore you can pack the 32GB internal storage with music file (only around 29GB available), but if you plan to install third party applications, you might need to set aside some storage space for the Application.

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #3,323 of 3,742
Good afternoon.
How things are with usb dac on the firmware v2.0, 2.2. On Windows 10 there is a problem with the lag of sound when watching a movie?

This will be, and should be. i5 USB DAC is operated at asynchronous mode, this is the best sounding DAC decoding scheme and is the defacto standard in USB Audio application right now. Asynchronous USB DAC required a buffer to hold the data before feeding into the signal conversion routine, it is purposively "out-of-sync" with the source bit-streaming, and this buffer will definitely cause delay in audio output with reference to the video signal.

This is not a bug or problem, this is a correct implementation when we put audio performance at top priority.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #3,324 of 3,742
And I and many users think otherwise. Since if there was no buffer and there was no delay in the sound, this would be a more correct implementation of the sound in the video material.
And this causes a certain inconvenience about watching a video with good sound quality from a PC. Fiio x5 III in this plan a step ahead.....

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,325 of 3,742
And I and many users think otherwise. Since if there was no buffer and there was no delay in the sound, this would be a more correct implementation of the sound in the video material.
And this causes a certain inconvenience about watching a video with good sound quality from a PC. Fiio x5 III in this plan a step ahead.....
:thinking: let me ask you this though, what firmware version are you using.
Cause last I read it wasn't even functional in x5iii 1.1.6 and fiio said it was their priority to fix it.

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3,330 of 3,742

Sorry, can't comment on other brand, but Cayin has stated in our product specification that we used Asynchronized USB Audio 2.0 Class for our USB DAC. The word "Asynchronized" has indicated the the source and the DAC are NOT synchronized, changing from synchronized USB Audio to Asynchronized USB Audio is a game changer in modern CAS (Computer as Source) application, it reduces jitter significantly and improved the audio performance to a whole new level. We have discussed this topic previously, maybe our previous discussion can help us clarify the issue.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-pcm-64-128-dsd.802382/page-164#post-13131245

There are minimal delays if you install Cayin USB driver and select minimal latency.

Thanks for helping out, sincerely appreciated.:beerchug:

The minimal latency setting will change the buffer size, reduce the delay slightly on the expense of slightly higher jitter, but the delay is still noticeable, kind of OK for youtube viewing, a bit tough for music video and probably not acceptable for game player.

And the most unfortunate issue about the USB Audio driver is potential compatibility problem with recent MS Windows update. As MS is about to embed their long overdue USB Audio Class 2.0 support into Windows10, they changed their USB Audio Class support from Version 1607 of Windows 10, and causing a lot of existing USB device driver to fail suddenly. We are keeping a close eye to the development and once the dust has settled, we'll revise our USB driver immediately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back