Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #2,731 of 3,742

I will keep my fingers c

It was the exact same question I asked myself looking at the new year flyer Lol, I haven´t seen that interface in my i5 so far, I believe the answer to your question is yes?
happy_face1.gif

I will keep my fingers crossed - looks like a radical departure from the current UI and hopefully an improvement.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #2,732 of 3,742
Thank you very much for your support and honest sharing,

I am in the middle of packing up as I'll be flying to New York tomorrow morning, I have been lacking behind in the i5 discussion, I hope I can make it up while I am in NYC. With the factory temporary offline since 21st Jan and I have been working on the CanJam NYC preparation all by myself in past two weeks, my online support are indeed way beyond my regular practice, for that I apologized.

To be honest, I am lost track on the latest beta firmware for i5, I know there is one beta version came out before Chinese New Year but we couldn't finished the internal audit of the firmware before we break for Chinese New Year, so we have to leave it till second week of February when we resume duty. I know for sure that we are still working on the gapless and sorting problem, but without the confirmation from internal audit, I really can't report any solid progress. I'll back to Hong Kong on 9th and resume duty on 11th, I promised to follow up with the i5 firmware as soon as I resume duty after the NYC trip.

There is one thing I can certainly promised: Cayin will not give up on i5 firmware development because of new emerging products. In fact we have postponed our product development in order to give more room for i5 firmware already. Our original schedule was to develop TWO new DAP per years, this is a very slow-paced schedule given the size and involvement of Cayin. The fact is i5 is the only new DAP from Cayin in 2016, the N3 was originally scheduled for late 2016, have been deferred till March 2017, and the two DAP that was originally scheduled for 2017 will be deferred till Q3 and Q4 of 2017. i5 has been and will be our focus, so please stay put for a while, I'll come back to the i5 community here after the CanJam show promptly.

No problem Andykong, we know you have been busy preparing all the goodies and new products Cayin will offer on CanJam NYC, I´m sure the new releases will follow the trend that Cayin has gathered with the i5 and N5 of well regarded products with great quality and value.

Referring to the i5 firmware, the actual 2.0 is very good, providing one of the best user interfaces I have seen in a DAP so far, some minor issues that can be polished but those issues doesn´t impact negatively in the overall user experience, I believe the overall user experience on the Cayin i5 is very good, even after the weird behavior my i5 had during the weekend, which I solved simply using the procedure to enter recovery mode in order to turn it on.

And finally I got to say I´m VERY excited to see what Cayin will offer on CanJam with those "emerging products" and the "original schedule to develop TWO new DAPs per year", man I can´t wait!! I´ll have to better prepare my wallet (and my wife btw).
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,733 of 3,742
Enought for me, If you interested in buying cayin product please don't, look for another brand.

I owned i5 for half a year, 2 days after I recieve my i5 it's collaped I had to sent it back to repair, waiting for 2 month and It's out of date. Fiio and Ibasso release new product. Cayin never improver there firmware to satisfy your need.

I feel i5 is a piece of **** now. Next week I'm going to dump this i5 in the quiet corner and invest for DX200.

Used to be a big fan of i5 but cayin is a lazy company. Sorry to say my heart out Andy your company is not good enought.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,734 of 3,742
I feel that I have to chime in here and make a few comments on Some of the post that I have seen.

I have been using the Cayin i5 for several months and have found it trouble free and a great value at $499.  The sound quality to my ears is exceptional for a DAP.  It's has the power to drive any IEM or headphone that I have thrown at it.

With more then 10 years of selling and servicing Bluetooth products in the motorsport and law enforcement markets I think I have some understanding of just how difficult this marker can be.

Electronics and Bluetooth are changing every day.  Even Apple and Samsung with massive engineering departments have trouble keeping pace.  Remember that our hobby demands few items by comparison to smart phones.

There will always be new Bluetooth, new streaming services, and new WiFi applications on the boards for development.

That doesn't mean that the other versions are bad or wont work of do a fine job for your use.  Sometimes the newest version is made up of features that don't have application for our hobby. So the newest version may useless.

Over the next few years you may see 10's if not 100's of new DAPs on the market. will this mean they are superior? I think not.  The most important feature of any DAP is the SQ and interface and the companies desire to support their products.  I think you need to look for this first.

Andy has been more then responsive to this and other Forums.  He has stated that Cayin is working on firmwear updates and I believe him so I'll be calm and wait.  One thing I like about Cayin is that they don't rush updates and make sure they work well when they put them out.  An update isn't just a big switch in the factory that a person pulls and the update happens.  It takes lots of time and testing.

If your going to buy every new DAP that hits the market with every new feature you have a lot more money to put in this hobby then I do.

So buy the best DAP you can afford put your music on it and enjoy the listen.  Don't read every review on every new DAP.  Remember not everyone that writes on the Forums is qualified to do so.  Sometimes they don't even own the product they write about.

Remember in the end its all about the music.

I feel the Cayin i5 delivers that at a very high level.

BTW Thank you Andy for some of the best support I have seen

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #2,735 of 3,742
I also feel like the i5 is a unfinished product with bunch of issues and also will be my last cayin product as I will probably move to a different product next year or so. There's many people who had to send there product back to cayin for repair because of some issues with there dap

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,736 of 3,742
@swnger

Good post, I like it and basically agree to it. I still like my i5 for its sound quality and versatility. At its price point it is probably one of the best value for money DAPs on the market. But after some months of usage when you look closer at it you can also see that a few chances were missed which is a pity as the i5 has huge potential.  

- They gave us USB C but no quick charging
- They gave us Android but use a version which is not fully compatible with Tidal
- They gave us Bluetooth but an stone old version without AptX
- They gave us WiFi but it connects only very weak
- They gave us a leather case but it cannot hold the player and then throw another one on the market without discount for owners of the first version
- They gave us HiBy as stock player but without display of format, sample rate and bit depth. No to mention gapless which works perfectly on the normal HiBy Android app.

Usually when you post areas for improvements you get comments as "but it sounds good" or "If you don't like it then sell it".
When I posted some isues with the UI of the QP1R I was even called a racist in that thread and a maker's rep there even
openly insulted members who dared to state that it is not a perfect player.

I do not find that kind of behaviour very helpful. Sharing areas for improvement should lead to a better product. I am looking forward
to see what the next FW will bring and maybe we will see the above issues incorporated in a future i6 or i5 2nd Gen.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #2,737 of 3,742
  @swnger

Good post, I like it and basically agree to it. I still like my i5 for its sound quality and versatility. At its price point it is probably one of the best value for money DAPs on the market. But after some months of usage when you look closer at it you can also see that a few chances were missed which is a pity as the i5 has huge potential.  

- They gave us Android but use a version which is not fully compatible with Tidal
- They gave us a leather case but it cannot hold the player and then throw another one on the market without discount for owners of the first version
- They gave us HiBy as stock player but without display of format, sample rate and bit depth. No to mention gapless which works perfectly on the normal HiBy Android app.

Usually when you post areas for improvements you get comments as "but it sounds good" or "If you don't like it then sell it".
When I posted some isues with the UI of the QP1R I was even called a racist in that thread and a maker's rep there even

I do not find that kind of behaviour very helpful. Sharing areas for improvement should lead to a better product. I am looking forward
to see what the next FW will bring and maybe we will see the above issues incorporated in a future i6 or i5 2nd Gen.

Just a few of my thoughts about your remarks:

- is quick charging really useful, or could it even be dangerous (this is what I have read on some Android forums) for battery life?
- is Bluetooth a feature you really need when you buy a DAP that it is supposed to provide an high sound quality? I mean, isn't any Bluetooh device you could connect supposed to worsen the quality of the reproduction (this is really a naive question, since I never tried any headphone/speaker supporting AptX)?
- in my case Wifi connection strength is comparable to the one I have with other wireless devices (smartphone, tablet) I use in my house;
- maybe I have been lucky, but the leather case in my case seems to fit properly the i5, maybe I got the new one? How can I distinguish between them?
- the issues you report about HiBy could be hopefully be solved by a firmware upgrade.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,738 of 3,742
  @swnger

Just a few of my thoughts about your remarks:

- is quick charging really useful, or could it even be dangerous (this is what I have read on some Android forums) for battery life?
- is Bluetooth a feature you really need when you buy a DAP that it is supposed to provide an high sound quality? I mean, isn't any Bluetooh device you could connect supposed to worsen the quality of the reproduction (this is really a naive question, since I never tried any headphone/speaker supporting AptX)?
- in my case Wifi connection strength is comparable to the one I have with other wireless devices (smartphone, tablet) I use in my house;
- maybe I have been lucky, but the leather case in my case seems to fit properly the i5, maybe I got the new one? How can I distinguish between them?
- the issues you report about HiBy could be hopefully be solved by a firmware upgrade.

-quick charge - i don't need that (at home i have my dac+ amp with speaker ) dap is not use in house 
-Bluetooth - eh! let say i am bias, personally i don't favor bluetooth headset/iem, own few of them noting turn out great (AptX may made a different but wired is better 
rolleyes.gif
)
-wifi connection strength - hmmm interesting topic, yes the strength wasn't that strong, from what i hear from cayin i5 review and product introduction from HK https://youtu.be/iQryOXj48cw -apparently carbon fiber back of cayin i5 that use to reduce interference from outside also backfire causing wifi strength to reduce
- 1st case its bad, 2nd case is out with no compensation for 1st case buyer  + black with red line ? mehh  
- hopefully they solve it with next firmware upgrade 

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #2,739 of 3,742
- it is useful.
- Bluetooth functionality has no influence on the sound quality whatsoever. And even if: if it is there why not implement an up-to-date more efficient version?
- For me WiFi is sufficient also. But connection usually shows only half the bars, even when close to router. But lots of people had issues with very weak connections.
- The brown leather case had this problem for a lot of people. At least the first production batch. Might have improved with later batches. But they never admitted that it was not fulfilling its purpose.
Now they threw the new black case on the market, which is not leather but should have a more snug fit. Of course I ordered it right away as I am a very naive person.
- Agree. Not a big thing and should be fixed. Alternatively a 3rd party app could be used.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #2,740 of 3,742
Just got my i5 four days ago, and it's amazing! Sounds great, looks great, easy to use(I set it up in 25 minutes to take on a last minute trip).
I know The Great Andy Kong and many of you are off to CanJam, but I have a question about the i5.
I have only the three apps that I seem to need(for me) Google Play, ES File, and Spotify installed.
An app that was called Google Play something downloaded without my knowledge. I deleted it.
My question is when I press Advanced Task Killer, it has said up to 8! applications were quit. Doesn't make sense when only 4 apps have ever been installed. Just a question.
I have been waiting for a device like this since I was 12, watching Jonny Socko!! I love the i5, and the way Cayin does business.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #2,741 of 3,742

-quick charge - i don't need that (at home i have my dac+ amp with speaker ) dap is not use in house 
-Bluetooth - eh! let say i am bias, personally i don't favor bluetooth headset/iem, own few of them noting turn out great (AptX may made a different but wired is better 
rolleyes.gif
)
-wifi connection strength - hmmm interesting topic, yes the strength wasn't that strong, from what i hear from cayin i5 review and product introduction from HK https://youtu.be/iQryOXj48cw -apparently carbon fiber back of cayin i5 that use to reduce interference from outside also backfire causing wifi strength to reduce
- 1st case its bad, 2nd case is out with no compensation for 1st case buyer  + black with red line ? mehh  
- hopefully they solve it with next firmware upgrade 

Great comment.
- The quick charge thing is double edged since the battery could lose lifespan... 
- I only use bluetooth when using the dap paired with a speaker, never with iem/headset. It's true BT got some bugs, but they are of minor importance IMO.
- The wifi connection definitely sucks, but again, I use DAPs mainly for audiophile purposes, so not a big deal. Maybe I'm biased I do not know.
- First case is not ideal, true...
- Same.

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,745 of 3,742
Any news about the new products Cayin was about to release at CanJam NYC?? Please share some CanJam info!!

I just put up an official Press Release on the N3, you can follow the link form nmatheis and check out the N3 Discussion thread for more detail.

In addition, the new N3 is on displayed at CanJam NYC 2017 from from 4th to 5th February 2017. We have also demo our complete line of Personal Audio products at the CanJam, and display an iDAP-6 Network player prototype that will expand the iDAC-6 and iHA-6 duo into a more comprehensive desktop system.

Our first CanJam was the SoCal 2017 and we only took up one table for that event, and we went to CanJam RMAF as well, and we have one table again but was a bit struggling in putting everything onto the 6ft x 2ft space. This is our third canJam and we moved up to 4 tables, a big jump from our usual practice and it happens at our Chinese New Year vacation so I am thin on supporting resource, that's why I have been freak out in past two weeks in order to get this done on time.

If you are happen to attend the CanJam NYC, please drop by and check out the most comprehensive display of Cayin HeadFi product so far. Click HERE to find out more about our CanJam NYC display.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back