Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jan 19, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,596 of 3,742
Will debut "some" new product at the show, lets hope I can manage the event alright.

Cayin i6 maybe? Definitely looking forward to CanJam NYC news!
gs1000.gif

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,599 of 3,742
Andykong, Cayin should develop a portable transport with dual full sized SD card slots, USB/3.5mm coaxial/3.5mm optical digital out, WifI, Bluetooth, and Android OS for streaming Tidal etc. with DLNA support to use with a NAS. FiiO seriously dropped the ball on their proposed T3 transport and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like such a device. No DAC, no amp, just a reasonably priced transport to feed portable DAC/amps (some of which are very successful), as well as being able to have the same library feeding desktop DACs without the need to use a computer.

Just a thought.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,600 of 3,742
xRELICX;

Seems to me that the pending new X5 III has most of the features attributed to the cancelled T3.  Throwing in the DAC/AMP probably expands the market considerably for a small incremental manufacturing costs.  Look at the Shanling M1; I suspect many buyers are just using it as a transport.

I think Cayin's option is to have an i5 follow on that takes the X5 III feature set up a notch.  The i5 has an amazing sound but I suspect that buyers at that price point are as much feature driven as audio quality driven.  The Shanling M1 is, of course, a natural target.  Supposedly that unit is a runaway success in China, which is why in the US you can't buy it at much below MSRP.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,601 of 3,742
xRELICX;

Seems to me that the pending new X5 III has most of the features attributed to the cancelled T3.  Throwing in the DAC/AMP probably expands the market considerably for a small incremental manufacturing costs.  Look at the Shanling M1; I suspect many buyers are just using it as a transport.

I think Cayin's option is to have an i5 follow on that takes the X5 III feature set up a notch.  The i5 has an amazing sound but I suspect that buyers at that price point are as much feature driven as audio quality driven.  The Shanling M1 is, of course, a natural target.  Supposedly that unit is a runaway success in China, which is why in the US you can't buy it at much below MSRP.

Oh, I agree, and you make some good points! There is a wider audience with DAPs, but it's also a very crowded segment now. Just thought I'd test the waters with Andy to see what he thought. I seriously don't need another DAP to just bypass the internal hardware audio components. X5iii's dual mSD slots are great, but full size SD would be better in a transport. Anyway, I don't want to de-rail this thread so that's all I'll say, but I thought it would be interesting to get Andy's take on the subject seeing as the recent discussion was about revealing new products.

:beerchug:

Jan 20, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #2,603 of 3,742
@Andykong do you have any news about the micro stuttering problems with Tidal or Qobuz ?
I live in France and Qobuz sucks when streaming FLAC or even reading FLAC downloaded locally. But with MP3 it's ok in both case.
Thanks for your reply

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #2,605 of 3,742
If i5 can't upgrade to android 6 to play tidal perfectly like ibasso DX200 or the new x5 no body gonna buy i5 so hopefully cayin can see this issue fast enough and fix it to buy i5 user heart back.

Everybody move to streaming service.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,606 of 3,742
How about this case? Anyone with experiences with this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cayin-i5-High-Quality-Anti-Slip-Durable-Protective-Leather-Case-For-Cayin-i5-/122018312381?hash=item1c68dbb0bd:g:Ou0AAOSw-0xYgJI8

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #2,608 of 3,742
Jan 21, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #2,609 of 3,742
If i5 can't upgrade to android 6 to play tidal perfectly like ibasso DX200 or the new x5 no body gonna buy i5 so hopefully cayin can see this issue fast enough and fix it to buy i5 user heart back.

Everybody move to streaming service.

Well, streaming is way overrated. However, there is a lot of competition coming for Android based DAPs. The i5 is just half a year on the market and will be outdated already very soon if 
not some major improvements are coming. With questionable decisions like Bluetooth 2.1 they might have shot themselves in the foot.

I am just afraid they will therefore throw another new DAP on the market rather than polishing the i5. Which would be pity as there is lot of potential in it, unfortunately it is not fully utilized.

Don't get me wrong: I am a happy user of the i5, but something has to happen.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #2,610 of 3,742

hm..is that another version of of the official case by Cayin? Maybe they learned from the desastrous first version?

Finally send off everything to New York for the CanJam event before the factory temporarily shut for the the Chinese New Year vacation (21st January to 5th February), I can now get back to my own schedule and pace and hopefully keep up with the recent discussion at the HeadFi forum.

First of all, Cayin has designed a new case for the i5 DAP. I have managed to complete the English content of the new case but I missed the final update schedule of our webiste before the team dismissed for holiday. This is the detail about the case that you'll see from Cayin website when our team resume duty after the long vacation.

This new i5 Case will be available immediately and retail at the same price as the original i5 case. I'll bring a few samples with me and show them at CanJam NYC, please drop by and check this out if you can attend the event.

I can tell you that the case is not make out of genius leather. Check out the photo regarding 3D shaping (and using Prepreg as internal framework), genius leather cannot be shaped like this, they'll always re-shaped to a more natural form after long period of time. So to achieve this new design, we have to go for synthesized material instead of genius leathers. I have been using this case for almost two months by now, and I can confirm that this new case feels better then the previous version and is more practical for daily use. it is very robust, although it is not exactly scratch-free, but it does offer significant improved scratch resistance over the previous version.

I have to confessed that I read Alex's report on DIgnis case when I prepare my introduction to the new i5 case, and I have borrowed a few phrase from him, for that I am grateful to Alex. I shall offer a new i5 case as a token of my appreciation, so twister6, please drop by Cayin's booth at CanJam NYC, see you then.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back