Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Nov 17, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #2,012 of 3,742
Nov 17, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #2,014 of 3,742
Hi, just join the i5 family. 

can someone suggest, apart from the pre-installed one, some good music player? I am a classical music listener. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2,015 of 3,742
Lately i had experience 3 problem with cayin i5

Volume knob not working (solve by locking the screen and reopen)

Song will not jump to the next song when finish (had to do it manually) happen twice now when playing in folder

Screen will not reopen after auto lock(all button function doesn't work) can't shut down also. Had to do a reboot by clicking both power and next button

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #2,016 of 3,742
My audition with the Group 1 tour has ended.  Hats off to Andy and nmetheis for making the i5 tour possible.  I must say that Cayin as a brand produces very compelling products.  I've owned the N5 DAP and was highly impressed with it's robust and industrial build quality, ergonomics, and most importantly - the sound.  I consider it a purist DAP that's free of any wireless technology and distractions.  The N5 made my Grado RS2, which was the only headphone I had at the time of ownership, just sing.  It brought out the best of those drivers, IMO, with dynamics and texture that I found consistent with AK4490 DAC chips.  I've owned most of the CEntrance portable products with the same DAC chip and found them to carry the same traits.  With the N5 and RS2 combination, I really like the wider stage and height it produced, and often times found myself toe-tapping with each subsequent track.  Also, the 2.5mm balanced output was a very nice feature.

In contrast, the i5 includes the technology not found in the N5.  I don't use wireless headphones/earphones, use a DAP as a USB DAC, nor stream my music, so these features were not tested during my audition.  Based on audible memory, I found the i5 stage to be quite a bit more narrower over the N5, and with the narrowness, I found the i5 having less air than I would like. Both shines with detail retrieval, which I find to be another common trait with AK DACs. In addition, I was really impressed with the power the i5 was pumping out to my dynamic headphones (Sony Z7 modified, Sony CD900ST, Grado RS2, modified Yuin OK1, Cardas EM5813) - granted, most of my headphone gear is relatively easy to drive.

Thing is, everything I have is terminated balanced for my Sony PHA-3 and PONO player.  So, like any quasi-ecosystem, I had to use adapters with the i5. All sounded great with the i5.  I think the AK DACs and how Cayin implemented it with their DAPs really make dynamic drivers sing.  When I compared the i5 to my PONO, their personalities were very apparent.  The i5 like the N5 has a very raw presentation and meaty with all the micro details on a fairly neutral platter.  In contrast, the PONO was smoother and a touch warmer that one could blame for drifting into audio nirvana and finally sleep.

I'll admit that my ears are used to the PHA-3/PONO sound, and consequently everything I have carries a twin 3.5mm connector at the end of the cable.  If neither one came into the picture, I would easily choose the N5 again, and if I went down the road of streaming and/or using a bluetooth headphone, the i5 without hesitation.

I'll also admit that in general,  I'm partial with Chinese based DAPs.  The UI, build quality, and/or sound quality were consistent compromises or misses.  My experience with the Cayin has been very positive. They've created great sounding and sexy looking DAPs, and continue to listen and support their fan base. 

Well done Cayin and thanks for the audition opportunity.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #2,017 of 3,742

Excellent Cayin i5, with my also excellent CA Novas. The two pair VERY well over a wide variety of music. I am on day two of the review, MO/MN Group 4.

And, I have to say that my Tennmak Pro's are pretty amazing with the i5, too. Startlingly so...:thumbsup:

A couple of small glitches; which I will delve into tomorrow, to root out hopefully. Just a wonderful device, easy to use, with outstanding sound qualities. More details coming.

Thank you Andykong

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #2,018 of 3,742

Excellent Cayin i5, with my also excellent CA Novas. The two pair VERY well over a wide variety of music. I am on day two of the review, MO/MN Group 4.

And, I have to say that my Tennmak Pro's are pretty amazing with the i5, too. Startlingly so...:thumbsup:

A couple of small glitches; which I will delve into tomorrow, to root out hopefully. Just a wonderful device, easy to use, with outstanding sound qualities. More details coming.

Thank you @Andykong

We have same setup.  The Nova sounds really nice with the i5.  I still prefer the Nova for vocals versus my IT03.  The i5 brings the mids and bass even more enjoyable with the Nova.

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #2,021 of 3,742
Anyone perceiving a burn in effect? I have maybe 100 hours on it, and I want to say the separation and soundstage have opened up a fair bit.

Hmm... I'll have to see. I'm on the Pacific Northwest tour. I had it first and then passed it on to others for impressions / review. Just got it back today for my official review period after going through three of my headfi buddies up in Seattle. If there was any change due to burn in, I'd expect to hear it when I fire it up latest tonight or tomorrow.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #2,022 of 3,742
Hmm... I'll have to see. I'm on the Pacific Northwest tour. I had it first and then passed it on to others for impressions / review. Just got it back today for my official review period after going through three of my headfi buddies up in Seattle. If there was any change due to burn in, I'd expect to hear it when I fire it up latest tonight or tomorrow.

Finally, another review is coming. Looking forward to seeing this @nmatheis. Thanks!

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,023 of 3,742
Did anyone try the OTG feature? like connecting a 500gb external hard drive or a card reader. Is it up to 2TB?

EDIT: I can't test with mine, it's currently being processed for a replacement.

I have same issue can't read from USB OTG for flash drive, card reader and HDD with separate power supply.
And I dont know how to send my Cayin for replacement..Any idea?

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #2,024 of 3,742
I have same issue can't read from USB OTG for flash drive, card reader and HDD with separate power supply.
And I dont know how to send my Cayin for replacement..Any idea?

It's not an issue for me, I just haven't got to try that feature and was curious. Was thinking to swapping my i5 with Opus #1, since mine is returned and now thinking of the possibility of expanding the storage with the i5.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,025 of 3,742
Getting difficult to recommend this player to people due to the issues with Tidal.  I do wonder if it's a hardware issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back