Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Aug 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #946 of 3,742
Is this DSD playback freezing after 30 seconds issue commonplace? I am seriously considering picking up the i5 purely for DSD playback on the road and this causes concern. :)

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #947 of 3,742
Is this DSD playback freezing after 30 seconds issue commonplace? I am seriously considering picking up the i5 purely for DSD playback on the road and this causes concern. :)

It was alright for me at least for the last 3 weeks of owning the player.
The problem occurred yesterday and I tried reinstalling firmware, clear cache but still does not solve it.

I could get the playtime pass 30secs now but once I press the onscreen icons like song info or when screen turns off and i turn back on again the player freezes. Seem like some insufficient memory issue. :mad:

Aug 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #948 of 3,742
Not sure if I catch your problem completely. We have received reports regarding the player will stop at end of song and fail to move onto next song. We are working on this and is expected to rectify the situation in next firmware update, hopefully available within one month from now. :beerchug:

Yes, that's my problem too. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. Thanks Andy

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #949 of 3,742
I bought the I5 a while ago in Beijing switching from an AK100 as i wanted to use streaming services (Tidal/Spotify). So far I am happy with the device. Living in China as a foreigner I am using the I5 with the chinese Firmware in english (latest version 1.5) so I am also able to use the China specific service offers (Baidu cloud, music service). I mainly use my MrSpeakers MDP or PSB 4MU2 for listening at my office and like the sound a lot.

Unfortunately I have two problems with my I5.

1) Listening with my SE846 is not possible with the I5 for me. The hissing is just too much. With quiet music parts I can hear the hissing very audible and detailled. Interestingly on the left side more than on the right one. Also with the SE535 it is the same. I tried all kind of settings. Low gain, high gain. Wifi, bluetooth on or off - doesn´t change anything. Lots of background noise. With MDP or 4MU1 everything is fine - only SE846/SE535 is affected. Can anyone confirm this? Most probably I have a faulty device?

2) As I want to use my IEM on the way together with my I5 but without the hissing I bought an USB C OTG adapter cable to connect the I5 to the Chord Mojo (using the DAP as sound source, Mojo as DAC and amp). Good news is, it works. But only for the first 2 seconds. Afterwards the sound becomes garbled. Also here I tried all available settings with no success. Anyone of you tried to connect the I5 to some DAC and can confirm this?

Thanks for some feedback!

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #950 of 3,742
I bought the I5 a while ago in Beijing switching from an AK100 as i wanted to use streaming services (Tidal/Spotify). So far I am happy with the device. Living in China as a foreigner I am using the I5 with the chinese Firmware in english (latest version 1.5) so I am also able to use the China specific service offers (Baidu cloud, music service). I mainly use my MrSpeakers MDP or PSB 4MU2 for listening at my office and like the sound a lot.

1) Listening with my SE846 is not possible with the I5 for me. The hissing is just too much. With quiet music parts I can hear the hissing very audible and detailled. Interestingly on the left side more than on the right one. Also with the SE535 it is the same. I tried all kind of settings. Low gain, high gain. Wifi, bluetooth on or off - doesn´t change anything. Lots of background noise. With MDP or 4MU1 everything is fine - only SE846/SE535 is affected. Can anyone confirm this? Most probably I have a faulty device?

2) As I want to use my IEM on the way together with my I5 but without the hissing I bought an USB C OTG adapter cable to connect the I5 to the Chord Mojo (using the DAP as sound source, Mojo as DAC and amp). Good news is, it works. But only for the first 2 seconds. Afterwards the sound becomes garbled. Also here I tried all available settings with no success. Anyone of you tried to connect the I5 to some DAC and can confirm this?

Me too had a problem with hissing when using my iem noble k10 on i5, but its solved now as i am using portable amp (fiio e12a), and its sound great!, love it.

Pics.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #952 of 3,742
It was alright for me at least for the last 3 weeks of owning the player.
The problem occurred yesterday and I tried reinstalling firmware, clear cache but still does not solve it.

I could get the playtime pass 30secs now but once I press the onscreen icons like song info or when screen turns off and i turn back on again the player freezes. Seem like some insufficient memory issue. :mad:

The problem is beyond my comprehension, and this is the first case of similar problem in i5 so far, I need to consult HiBy on this issue, probably will take a bit longer then usual before I come back to you on this problem, will keep you informed as soon as I have a clue on the reason behind the DSD problem in your i5.

Unless you have installed some memory hungry app recently, it is unlikely that the i5 has enough memory to playback DSD in last 3 weeks but not now. When you factory reset and reapply the v1.5 firmware package, 99% of software problem should have been rectified and this is the mysterious part of the instances.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 10, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #953 of 3,742
The problem is beyond my comprehension, and this is the first case of similar problem in i5 so far, I need to consult HiBy on this issue, probably will take a bit longer then usual before I come back to you on this problem, will keep you informed as soon as I have a clue on the reason behind the DSD problem in your i5.

Unless you have installed some memory hungry app recently, it is unlikely that the i5 has enough memory to playback DSD in last 3 weeks but not now. When you factory reset and reapply the v1.5 firmware package, 99% of software problem should have been rectified and this is the mysterious part of the instances.

Yes, I am wondering what happened. Now I have yet to install any app after my reinstallation. I actually only had Spotify prior to this problem.

The last before this problem was I was running my Beyerdynamic T1 from the player and listening to DSD files for 3 hours or so.

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #954 of 3,742
Using DUNU DN-2000 I also hear hiss noise, but to me, not at the level that alarms me. Still hope the hiss level can be reduced.

Just to share some pics, i5 can detect 4TB USB hard drive formatted in exFAT. External power required for the HD as i5 USB cannot supply enough current for HD. But SSD works without any external power. Can play DSD from the hard disk with no issue so far. But that only from my limited 1 day experience.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #955 of 3,742

For question 2, the USB Audio function of i5 is under development, the only digital output from i5 is the S/PDIF coaxial from the Type C connector. Since i5 is one of the very few DAP that supports DoP on Coaxial, we actually recommend users to go for the coaxial route when connect i5 to Chord Mojo.

There are aftermarket cable in China for this setup already. I shall quote the photo from a Hong Kong user for your reference:

The cable is selling at ¥225 (RMB) and you can find it at the following TB shop. Please specify "Dual L connector Type-C to coaxial cable customized for Mojo" (mojo专用type c-3.5双弯头同轴) option if you want a Mojo version.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-13360786798.12.CufDwT

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #956 of 3,742
Using DUNU DN-2000 I also hear hiss noise, but to me, not at the level that alarms me. Still hope the hiss level can be reduced.

Just to share some pics, i5 can detect 4TB USB hard drive formatted in exFAT. External power required for the HD as i5 USB cannot supply enough current for HD. But SSD works without any external power. Can play DSD from the hard disk with no issue so far. But that only from my limited 1 day experience.

This is amazing, you only spend one day with i5 and you have tested a lot of options that we have been looking forwards to. :beerchug:

I have been asked several time regarding the OTG limit of i5, I did mentioned that the Type C connector of i5 will not deliver enough current to maintain a 5400rpm harddisk, but we should work with Card readers, SSD, and 3.5" Harddisk with external power supply, now I can add 2.5'HHD to the list, with a Y split USB cable. :beerchug:

I actually have tested i5 with 2.5" HDD OTG directly, the harddisk will spin, and the player has detected an OTG deviced, but failed to make connection successfully. Based on what you have demonstrated, maybe I'll DIY a short Y split cable to mount a 2.5" HDD and USB battery supply with an i5, making it a low-cost walk around music library when I am out of town. :D

By the way, is that a Kennerton Odin in the corner? You have tried Odin with i5?

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #957 of 3,742
By the way, is that a Kennerton Odin in the corner? You have tried Odin with i5?

Excellent sharp eyes!  Yes!  Kennerton Odin!
I love it so much....!  Fischer Asia asked me to review Odin, so I got loan of Odin demo unit last week. And yea, i5 drives Odin pretty well, very cool! 

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #958 of 3,742
Hi everyone,

I've only posted once at Head-Fi but feel compelled to write a second one as after following through the entire thread, I decided to go ahead with buying the i5, went to Jaben (Singapore) and was quoted a really good price. Too bad I had to place an order for one as there were no more units available.

But before that I went ahead to test the demo set which was on firmware version 1.2, which, according to the staff, their last shipment came with this version. Couldn't say I liked the heft but the workmanship is as fine as one can wish for and boy, what a nicely damped volume knob!

Did not notice hissing noise when testing some some songs with my Chinese made 10BA CIEM (https://world.taobao.com/item/522104016737.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a1z0k.7385993.0.0.s3hYvh&_u=). Perhaps I was too focused on the sound quality or maybe my ears auto tuned out hissing as white noise. The wifi was switched on but I don't think it was connected.

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #959 of 3,742
oh, they seem to be quite sensitive with 8 Ohm and 112dB SPL. I also did not recognize any hiss when trying the i5 in store (at jaben also...)
You need a very quiet environment to hear some hiss, and only at very quiet passages of your music. You won;t hear it 98% of the time, so it should
not necessiraly be a dealbreaker. 

Still very happy with m i5, looking forward to have sorted the alphabetical ordering in the next firmware. Oh and for artists (unfortunately album artists are not yet available)
list view would be nice instead of thumbnail view, especially as no real thumbnails are generated..

Plus correct reasing of tags....

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #960 of 3,742
Sucks people are finding out about the hissing after the fact.  No way I would ever touch a portable player with hiss, especially with how many options there are in the market now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back