Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 21, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #706 of 3,742
I just read the whole thread from begin to the end. After years enjoy my Sansa Clip I'm looking for big DAP.
1. The AK_JR looks sexy, nice and straight forward UI but I'm not impress with SQ so I returned it.
2. The Fiio X7 look cool, very detail but I don't like the digital volume and the amp module idea. It also went back to Amazon.
3. This i5 took my breath away in first sign. Could someone comment about SQ vs AK_jr and Fiio X7 because those are only 2 DAP I ever tried.
If all three DAP: Jr, X7 and i5 cost the same which one you pick for enjoy music (pop, acoustic instrument)

Thanks 

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #707 of 3,742
  I just read the whole thread from begin to the end. After years enjoy my Sansa Clip I'm looking for big DAP.
1. The AK_JR looks sexy, nice and straight forward UI but I'm not impress with SQ so I returned it.
2. The Fiio X7 look cool, very detail but I don't like the digital volume and the amp module idea. It also went back to Amazon.
3. This i5 took my breath away in first sign. Could someone comment about SQ vs AK_jr and Fiio X7 because those are only 2 DAP I ever tried.
If all three DAP: Jr, X7 and i5 cost the same which one you pick for enjoy music (pop, acoustic instrument)

Thanks 

and the AK70?

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #708 of 3,742
As much as I like the look and UI of AK DAP. It become very confusing me recently. Let's say if I start with the sexy well review Jr ($500). Later I'll think about AK70 because it's a latest model and only $100 more. Then there is a higher model AK100II just $150 on top of AK70 then AK300 just another $150. Come on, how much SQ better or different at each step up? I don't get it.

Before that there are AK100II, AK120II, AK240... each step up cost twice which very logical for upgrade, Now it's very difficult to decide which one to pick. There isn't any local store in my area carry portable DAP so I can't listen them all side by side to decide. Unless I buy all of them from Amazon at once then return all but one.  
blink.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #709 of 3,742

Thanks 

Opus, i5, N5, X7, JR, AK70

i would gladly pick n5

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #710 of 3,742
@Andykong
I really like the Fiio short coax cable because I always have the waiting regular coax plug in the back of my receiver. It's very easy to connect and disconnect the DAP. A short USB-C to Coax include with i5 is very nice.

PenonAudio from HK have i5 for $469 with leather case which very tempting. It's a domestic version though. Can you confirm the launch date and the price in US.

By the way, can you give brief compare about SQ between i5 and X7.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #711 of 3,742
  @Andykong
I really like the Fiio short coax cable because I always have the waiting regular coax plug in the back of my receiver. It's very easy to connect and disconnect the DAP. A short USB-C to Coax include with i5 is very nice.

PenonAudio from HK have i5 for $469 with leather case which very tempting. It's a domestic version though. Can you confirm the launch date and the price in US.

By the way, can you give brief compare about SQ between i5 and X7.

Thanks

i personally feel i5 has better resolution

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #712 of 3,742
I don't know how different in SQ between n5 and i5 but the look of i5 definitely shot me right to the heard let alone the touch interface. My budget is about $600 and I'm a little bit lean onto the X7 except I have to switch amp everytime when change between IEM and full size. So as soon as confirm that SQ of i5 on par with X7 I'll totally sold. I may have to wait till amazon has i5 then I can get both to compare side by side but I hate to wait...
angry_face.gif

My Alo Rx and Cayin c5 amps will come this weekend, need a DAP to play with.

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #713 of 3,742
  I don't know how different in SQ between n5 and i5 but the look of i5 definitely shot me right to the heard let alone the touch interface. My budget is about $600 and I'm a little bit lean onto the X7 except I have to switch amp everytime when change between IEM and full size. So as soon as confirm that SQ of i5 on bar with X7 I'll totally sold. I may have to wait till amazon has i5 then I can get both to compare side by side but I hate to wait...
angry_face.gif

i5 it is!

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #714 of 3,742
  I don't know how different in SQ between n5 and i5 but the look of i5 definitely shot me right to the heard let alone the touch interface. My budget is about $600 and I'm a little bit lean onto the X7 except I have to switch amp everytime when change between IEM and full size. So as soon as confirm that SQ of i5 on par with X7 I'll totally sold. I may have to wait till amazon has i5 then I can get both to compare side by side but I hate to wait...
angry_face.gif

i5 design is very sexy indeed, but major drawback for some of us here = they remove one microsd slot when compared to N5 !
If you're going to leave only one memory slot, anything less than 128Gb internal is a design mistake (and the reason why I didn't buy the N6 despite its wonderful SQ).

With 32Gb internal and Android UI, the i5 is a very sexy smartphone without the phone function and a very nice audio section.
With a second microsd slot, it would have been an awesome contender for the Onkyo/Pioneer DAPs.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #715 of 3,742
Jul 21, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #717 of 3,742
It's 22nd July...
Can't wait for 25th for firmware update. I really love this player but when it crashes, it's frustrating.

Andykong, did you receive crash reports from Chinese users?

Welp, it just happened again. Ridiculously over simple stuff.
I unplugged my CIEM when the music was playing and bam, screen's black and takes a while to reboot...

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #720 of 3,742
It's 22nd July...
Can't wait for 25th for firmware update. I really love this player but when it crashes, it's frustrating.

Andykong, did you receive crash reports from Chinese users?

Welp, it just happened again. Ridiculously over simple stuff.
I unplugged my CIEM when the music was playing and bam, screen's black and takes a while to reboot...

Probably most of it was already fixed on v1.2 firmware.
My player is on 1.2 international version. Only experienced crash once and another instant was not able to access settings which was later resolved with a reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back