Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jul 22, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #721 of 3,742
Probably most of it was already fixed on v1.2 firmware.
My player is on 1.2 international version. Only experienced crash once and another instant was not able to access settings which was later resolved with a reboot.

Yea, Cayin should have received reports from Chinese users so I'm really expecting the new international firmware soon.
Heh, I bet Andy will show up when it's released.

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #723 of 3,742

I had a session with the i5 today at JabenSG. I used the FitEar 335DW and Tralucent Plus5. I must say I was really quite impressed by the SQ and the UI. Pretty intuitive. Definitely something worth considering for a on-the-road DAP. :)

Jul 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #724 of 3,742

I had a session with the i5 today at JabenSG. I used the FitEar 335DW and Tralucent Plus5. I must say I was really quite impressed by the SQ and the UI. Pretty intuitive. Definitely something worth considering for a on-the-road DAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

just curious if you think i5 has the same tonal balance as sony zx2 bc i feel that way
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #725 of 3,742
If you have a player with China firmware and care about Google Play, DO NOT UPDATE or you will LOSE Google Play. I am not sure if it is removed in 1.1 or 1.2. I went straight to 1.2 and PFFT gone. A workaround exists; Amazon App Store works just fine when sideloaded and installed via ES File Explorer Manager. Tidal, Pandora and Spotify are all there, and all work. For those with Amazon accounts it seems to be a much less resource intensive way to get access to streaming apps. 

Andy has warned us, actually.
Which is why I'm still keeping the stock firmware.

It does come with issues though. My player has crashed 3 times.

We have put Google Play in v1.1 domestic version, but have to remove it in v1.2 because we have run into a lot of query on how to use Google Play and when can we fix the "Google play is not working" bug :D

you can add streaming apps to i5 by installing APK files to your TF card and then use the ES File Explorer to complete the installation. I downloaded my APKs from APKPure .

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #726 of 3,742
@Andykong

I really like the Fiio short coax cable because I always have the waiting regular coax plug in the back of my receiver. It's very easy to connect and disconnect the DAP. A short USB-C to Coax include with i5 is very nice.

PenonAudio from HK have i5 for $469 with leather case which very tempting. It's a domestic version though. Can you confirm the launch date and the price in US.

By the way, can you give brief compare about SQ between i5 and X7.

Thanks

We are investigating the TypeC to coaxial cable right now, this is our latest prototype/sample:

We can't make this a standard accessories, the cost is too high if we use proper 75ohm coaxial cable and the actual demand is relatively low as we believe i5 will remain as a on-the-go DAP most of the time.

The price is US$499 and this is confirmed, The i5 is available in international market right now, Singapore, Korea and Japan are selling them already. we have contacted several US reseller and waiting for their feedback on i5.

Sorry, I can't comment on competitors, HeadFI has stric rules on this, I suggest you seek advice from the user community.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #727 of 3,742
So where can you buy this player if in the us?

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #728 of 3,742
It's 22nd July...
Can't wait for 25th for firmware update. I really love this player but when it crashes, it's frustrating.

Andykong, did you receive crash reports from Chinese users?

Welp, it just happened again. Ridiculously over simple stuff.
I unplugged my CIEM when the music was playing and bam, screen's black and takes a while to reboot...

25th July is the scheduled firmware update for domestic version, you have to wait at least 3 days (maybe 4, it depends on the respond on 25th) before the international version is ready.

Probably most of it was already fixed on v1.2 firmware.
My player is on 1.2 international version. Only experienced crash once and another instant was not able to access settings which was later resolved with a reboot.

Besides from a few earlier reported things, I never had it crash on me

That's because Lieven is using v1.2 International version. :D

The major complain from China users are related to third party application and the bundled online music service, the player is fairly stable after v1.2 firmware is released.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #729 of 3,742
25th July is the scheduled firmware update for domestic version, you have to wait at least 3 days (maybe 4, it depends on the respond on 25th) before the international version is ready.

That's because Lieven is using v1.2 International version.
biggrin.gif

The major complain from China users are related to third party application and the bundled online music service, the player is fairly stable after v1.2 firmware is released.

Well, I was trying to update to 1.2 China ver but now ran into major problem.
Copied the FW1.2 ZIP file to root, then it seems like it searched for file named "update.zip" so I renamed it.
Then I got error verifying whole file :|
I thought I was dead when the error "Cayin i5 has stopped working" showed up but managed to turn it off and on again now it's back like usual.

If i didn"t rename the file, "Update.zip can't be find in root directory..." showed up and thus can't update.
Did I do something wrong?

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #730 of 3,742
It is no mentioned in the English Website...on the chinese version, I5 is the main focus...http://cn.cayin.cn/

Thanks for your prompt response, we were extremely busy this week - new firmware for N5 and N6 (twice :D) plus a large HeadFi meets (around 500 attendance shows up) in Shenzhen today. Its good to have someone back us up when we are running low on resource. :beerchug:

interestingly the i5 is nowhere mentioned on the Cayin website. The N5 is the newest thing there....

@Andykong
 seems the Cayin website needs a proper renovation....

We have stopped updating the old website and is focusing all our resource on our new website. The Chinese version of our new website is up and run 2 moths ago, and we are translating the content to English right now, hopefully the English website will up and run very soon, possibly within a month.

You can check out our portable product page to get feel on the look-and-feel of our new website.
http://cn.cayin.cn/shop/products?cid=5

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #731 of 3,742
So where can you buy this player if in the us?

There isn't an US authorized reseller carry i5 right now, we are still working on this and will keep the forum informed when we have new sales arrangement in US.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #732 of 3,742
Well, I was trying to update to 1.2 China ver but now ran into major problem.
Copied the FW1.2 ZIP file to root, then it seems like it searched for file named "update.zip" so I renamed it.
Then I got error verifying whole file :|
I thought I was dead when the error "Cayin i5 has stopped working" showed up but managed to turn it off and on again now it's back like usual.

If i didn"t rename the file, "Update.zip can't be find in root directory..." showed up and thus can't update.
Did I do something wrong?

That's because I am still working on the English version of firmware update instruction for NEXT firmware and it is slightly different from the v1.2 update.

From what I recall: copy the update.zip to root directory of our TF card, power off i5, press down kay and Power on/off at the same time to go into Recovery mode, follow the instruction to finish the update, and then wipe the cache partition before you leave the Recovery mode.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #733 of 3,742
That's because I am still working on the English version of firmware update instruction for NEXT firmware and it is slightly different from the v1.2 update.

From what I recall: copy the update.zip to root directory of our TF card, power off i5, press down kay and Power on/off at the same time to go into Recovery mode, follow the instruction to finish the update, and then wipe the cache partition before you leave the Recovery mode.

Still gave error verifying whole file & file signature.
I don"t know if it's the problem of the file itself or maybe I can't jump directly from 1.0 to 1.2?

Now it's stuck at Cayin logo boot   force reboot now back to usual again

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #734 of 3,742
we were extremely busy this week - new firmware for N5 and N6 (twice :D) plus a large HeadFi meets (around 500 attendance shows up) in Shenzhen today. This is one of the biggest headfi meet in southern part of China since 2015, check out the brand list and you can guess the venue is completely crowded for the whole day.

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #735 of 3,742
just curious if you think i5 has the same tonal balance as sony zx2 bc i feel that way :D

Hmmm... Well, I don't know about tonal balance and the ZX2... But let's just say that after this demo, I will entertain no more thoughts about the QP1R nor hope for Questyle to do something about their dysfunctional scroll wheel. Frankly, I don't care any more... If I want to pick up a DAP for the road, this will likely be it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back