Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Jun 17, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #436 of 3,742
If you insist, I can turn off the volume lock during black screen and see if I can come back in one piece to report my findings. :D :D

Sure but just don't send me the doctor bill in case your ears bleed when testing it outside :D

Tme to report on my little experiment on the Volume knob safety issue :wink:

First of all, I have remove all control lock during locked screen mode.

This is my daily waist bag.

Flip it open and you'll see my mobile phone, i5, and extra battery for my phone, together with the key and the traffic card, I have all I need for daily-commute without reaching out for my backpack. You can imagine the belt-bag will be quite busy while I am using the DAP on street.

After using the i5 without volume lock for 3 weeks, I do run into a few (way less then 10) occasion that the volume was adjusted "accidentally", all of them are occurred in the middle of congested public traffic. In only one occasion the volume was turn up accidentally, in all other cases, the volume was turn down accidentally. I believe the design of the DAP has come into play here, the volume knob was opened up on the top but covered on the bottom, so the more likely accidental movement will be anti-clockwise, which is turning down the volume. The chance of accidental clockwise movement is significantly less likely.

In all the cases stated above, the volume has increased or decreased by a small margin only, my guess is not more then 3-4 db only. Again this is a designed feature. When you turn the i5 volume knob clockwise by half-cycle, you got 4 db gain, if you want to increase the volume further, you need to release your finger and start from the lower part of the volume knob again to turn it UP (clockwise) again. These is a very unlikely series of movement that you'll encounter accidentally, so something touched the DAP in the backpack and turn up the volume accidentally, it is impossible that the volume knob will turn more then 150 degree, and that's 4 db adjustment at most.

So I can conclude that the i5 volume knob is safe for blind control, it is not bullet proof but it won't create significantly problem even when run into accidents. In extreme condition, you can lock the volume knob at locked screen and that will eliminate accidental control completely.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jun 17, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #437 of 3,742
let add Echobox Explorer X1 to the list :smile: thanks Andy for the recommendation :smiley:

The "wine bottle" is very cute indeed, nice choice my friend. :D

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #438 of 3,742
The "wine bottle" is very cute indeed, nice choice my friend.
biggrin.gif

or VentureCraft SounDroid VALOQ
biggrin.gif

tough choice mate!

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #439 of 3,742

Tme to report on my little experiment on the Volume knob safety issue
wink.gif

First of all, I have remove all control lock during locked screen mode.

This is my daily waist bag.

Flip it open and you'll see my mobile phone, i5, and extra battery for my phone, together with the key and the traffic card, I have all I need for daily-commute without reaching out for my backpack. You can imagine the belt-bag will be quite busy while I am using the DAP on street.

After using the i5 without volume lock for 3 weeks, I do run into a few (way less then 10) occasion that the volume was adjusted "accidentally", all of them are occurred in the middle of congested public traffic. In only one occasion the volume was turn up accidentally, in all other cases, the volume was turn down accidentally. I believe the design of the DAP has come into play here, the volume knob was opened up on the top but covered on the bottom, so the more likely accidental movement will be anti-clockwise, which is turning down the volume. The chance of accidental clockwise movement is significantly less likely.

In all the cases stated above, the volume has increased or decreased by a small margin only, my guess is not more then 3-4 db only. Again this is a designed feature. When you turn the i5 volume knob clockwise by half-cycle, you got 4 db gain, if you want to increase the volume further, you need to release your finger and start from the lower part of the volume knob again to turn it UP (clockwise) again. These is a very unlikely series of movement that you'll encounter accidentally, so something touched the DAP in the backpack and turn up the volume accidentally, it is impossible that the volume knob will turn more then 150 degree, and that's 4 db adjustment at most.

So I can conclude that the i5 volume knob is safe for blind control, it is not bullet proof but it won't create significantly problem even when run into accidents. In extreme condition, you can lock the volume knob at locked screen and that will eliminate accidental control completely.

Thanks for testing it Andy, really appreciate it 
beerchug.gif

I guess less than 10 occasions in 3 weeks isn't bad at all. I could live with that.

By the way do you have release date for the optional accessories yet?

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #440 of 3,742

Thanks for testing it Andy, really appreciate it 
beerchug.gif

I guess less than 10 occasions in 3 weeks isn't bad at all. I could live with that.

thank you andy for this awesome device

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #441 of 3,742
or VentureCraft SounDroid VALOQ :D
tough choice mate!

Sorry, can't comment on that .... how about Fiio X7? surprised this brand is missing when someone is collecting a comprehensive list like yours.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #442 of 3,742
Thanks for testing it Andy, really appreciate it :beerchug:

Sorry, my mind slipped, what optional accessories is expecting?

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #443 of 3,742
Sorry, can't comment on that .... how about Fiio X7? surprised this brand is missing when someone is collecting a comprehensive list like yours.

their house sound not my cup of tea
tongue.gif

otg, lightning etc i reckon
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #444 of 3,742

USB C to coax adapter.
I forgot again, I think I've asked twice or something but is USB C to micro USB adapter included?
Also the pretty USB C to USB3.0 adapter. Every i5's accessory is adapter.

We won't need lightning ofc. I kinda want Dignis case for i5 instead 
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #445 of 3,742
their house sound not my cup of tea :p

Have you tried the X7? It's sonic character is very different from their wheel based DAPs. :)

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #446 of 3,742
Have you tried the X7? It's sonic character is very different from their wheel based DAPs. :)
ofc i have tried before coming to the conclusion. Its easily the most accessible dap in the market. The sound is not my cup of tea. :frowning2:

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #447 of 3,742
ofc i have tried before coming to the conclusion. Its easily the most accessible dap in the market. The sound is not my cup of tea.

Fair enough.

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #449 of 3,742
I've monitored  first   audition impressions of independent users  on Chinese erji forum.
I found only 4, relating to sonic qualities.

1 User ljwllll: "The sound much more better then had engeneering sample."
2 User Buy or not X7: "Background noise persists, with 846, 3003   heard  obviously."
3 User 摆直一头龟: "Generally compare sound with QLC, especially modded, QLC feels better"
4 User Okcomputer: "Speaking about i5 sound- this is  very familiar voice, i5 and my 6420 notebook sound very, very similar to my hearing, their similarity over 90%"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back