Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,416 of 3,742
Seriously? What would be an improvement for you? That is very subjective, depending on your personal preferences.
Thie i5 is much clearer sounding and not as overly warm as the N5 is.

Regarding Tidal: Same has been mentioned several times in this thread. There is a search fucntion.

Seriously? First, thanks for answering me this way...I apreciate, really. I do know search function but wanted to know the last "official" statement from Andy.

Second: Improvement exists in audio, regardless the preferences. Soundstage, brightness, details, bass impact, instruments separation are above personnal preference...unless you think a Fiio X1 can sound just as good as a Chord Mojo or QP1R...Anyway.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #2,417 of 3,742
Very curious what version 2.1 will improve.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,418 of 3,742
Originally Posted by Andykong

When i5 break off an ISO file, it should display the tracks title according to track number, and if track title is no available in the ISO file, then i5 will display Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, ... on the screen. Is this what happening with our ISO file playback?

Can you PM me the screen shot of the ISO file with the tracks not in sequence, and the url of the SACD so that I can cross check against the original track list. I'll try to work out the logic behind wrong sequence.

Andy,

PM sent. Thx

I'll answer your question regarding direct playback of SACD-ISO file with i5 here in the forum because I am not an expert on this issue so I want to seek second opinion from the forum on this subject.

There is nothing much we can do to manipulate the sequence of playback in an ISO file by a portable player like i5. When you playback an ISO file, i5 will see this as ONE file, and it just happened that the files contained a number of paragraph (i.e., tracks) in a specific order. If you want to exercise some kind of control in the playback sequence, the player must be able to see the content as MULTIPLE FILES, and that is against the fundamental concept of an ISO file.

If you playback an ISO file with a computer, that will depends on the related features of playback software. Give the significantly higher processing power and amber random memory, software like JRiver and Audirvana Plus can provide additional control on ISO file then the native sequential playback.

For the sake of long term music file management, may I suggest you break down the SACD-ISO file into DSF file and fill up the metadata during the breakdown process. iso2dsd is probably the most commonly used software for this purpose, but there are other choices such as "SACD Extract" and "ScarletBook"

Click here for user discussion of iso2dsd operation.

A final reminder: some SACD-ISO file will use Lossless DST compression to reduce the file size, while Cayin i5 supports DST encoded SACD-ISO and DSF, a lot of other DAP does not support that, so it might be advisable to select "Convert DST to DSD" option (or equivalent) during the breakdown process. this will make sure the DSF file become readable by more DAP in the market.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 23, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #2,419 of 3,742
I am shipping back my i5 to penon because of some issues

I sent you a pm @AndyKong

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #2,420 of 3,742
I'm really enjoying my time with the i5. Truth be told, the player is decent with in-ear monitors. While I do wish there was a gain setting less than the low setting, I don't consider it a deal breaker. 

I LOVE the analog volume pot. Even the tension is spot on IMHO. It really makes it a great in-pocket player thanks to the jack placement and volume pot.

Now that you have the i5, I'll remind you the question about IEMatch from iFi again. Will it alter the sound signature of i5? Will it solve the hissing problem with sensitive IEMs? :beerchug:

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #2,421 of 3,742
Andy, for the problems on Tidal streaming and offline content, the possible cause is the version of Android used in i5.  According to Tidal website, HiFi Mode is only compatible with Android devices using version 4.4.4 or above.  However i5 uses version 4.4 only.

I really wish they update the OS to at least lollipop like the Opus#1.  Total overhaul in user experience.  Navigation and UI improved a lot.

Ng, thanks for the lead.

This is indeed a surprised to us, we shall study the consequence and resource implication for subsequent firmware development. An Android system upgrade will require a lot of support from Leadcore, Cayin can't pull the job on our own completely. We need to secure certain level of support before we can commit to this upgrade plan.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,422 of 3,742
Ng, thanks for the lead.

This is indeed a surprised to us, we shall study the consequence and resource implication for subsequent firmware development. An Android system upgrade will require a lot of support from Leadcore, Cayin can't pull the job on our own completely. We need to secure certain level of support before we can commit to this upgrade plan.

Want to said something about micro sd permission in higher android version. I have use android from 5.0 to 6.0 on my note 3. It take away some permission about writing on micro sd (download directly to micro sd from browser or torrent) but transfering files is no problem. Hope you aware of this issue if you wanna upgrade the android version.

And in many hifi android phone, they have downsampling by system problem (down to 48khz) hope our i5 don't effect by this problem

Even this should be concern, updating android OS still recommend for me due to many system management :)

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2,423 of 3,742
Seriously? First, thanks for answering me this way...I apreciate, really. I do know search function but wanted to know the last "official" statement from Andy.

Second: Improvement exists in audio, regardless the preferences. Soundstage, brightness, details, bass impact, instruments separation are above personnal preference...unless you think a Fiio X1 can sound just as good as a Chord Mojo or QP1R...Anyway.

To certain extend, this is exaggerated . Cayin i5 and X5 are under the same manufacturer, shared key components and the analogue technologies design are similar, and they are prices at the same price range ($499 vs $349 originally) and the price different are mainly contributed by the bigger screen, 32GB eMMC internal storage, and Android software development, so they are indeed expected to sound similar. The QP1r is around 10 times more expensive, different manufacturer and using completely different analog design and DAC chipset. Using these comparison will not strengthen your assumption (argument) of i5 vs N5. We can hardly conduct constructive discussion if every thing will suddenly pushed to the extremes like this.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #2,424 of 3,742
Want to said something about micro sd permission in higher android version. I have use android from 5.0 to 6.0 on my note 3. It take away some permission about writing on micro sd (download directly to micro sd from browser or torrent) but transfering files is no problem. Hope you aware of this issue if you wanna upgrade the android version.

And in many hifi android phone, they have downsampling by system problem (down to 48khz) hope our i5 don't effect by this problem

Even this should be concern, updating android OS still recommend for me due to many system management :)

Thanks for the reminder, will take the storage management issue into our evaluation

Bypassing SRC restriction on native music player is actually straight forward, but to ensure third party applications can bypass SRC is another issue.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #2,425 of 3,742
3rd party support is the best we could ask for not only for music player apps but it will improve streaming apps too !! But just upgrade hiby app is great enough if you can make it great enough to compare with competitor apps which I see that it's really a close gap :wink:

PS. edit for wrong typo

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,426 of 3,742
I'll answer your question regarding direct playback of SACD-ISO file with i5 here in the forum because I am not an expert on this issue so I want to seek second opinion from the forum on this subject.

There is nothing much we can do to manipulate the sequence of playback in an ISO file by a portable player like i5. When you playback an ISO file, i5 will see this as ONE file, and it just happened that the files contained a number of paragraph (i.e., tracks) in a specific order. If you want to exercise some kind of control in the playback sequence, the player must be able to see the content as MULTIPLE FILES, and that is against the fundamental concept of an ISO file.

If you playback an ISO file with a computer, that will depends on the related features of playback software. Give the significantly higher processing power and amber random memory, software like JRiver and Audirvana Plus can provide additional control on ISO file then the native sequential playback.

For the sake of long term music file management, may I suggest you break down the SACD-ISO file into DSF file and fill up the metadata during the breakdown process. iso2dsd is probably the most commonly used software for this purpose, but there are other choices such as "SACD Extract" and "ScarletBook"

Click here for user discussion of iso2dsd operation.

A final reminder: some SACD-ISO file will use Lossless DST compression to reduce the file size, while Cayin i5 supports DST encoded SACD-ISO and DSF, a lot of other DAP does not support that, so it might be advisable to select "Convert DST to DSD" option (or equivalent) during the breakdown process. this will make sure the DSF file become readable by more DAP in the market.

Thanks, Andy. Perhaps I am not making myself clear. What I encounter this problem is when several / multiple iso files under one music folder. It is perfect when playing only one iso file

Dec 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #2,427 of 3,742
Here's my review of the i5. This really is an outstanding unit that I whole heartedly enjoyed experiencing. They pair with the @MezeTeam 99 Classics sublimely well but sadly don't do so well with hyper sensitive c/iems. I'm also editing my YouTube review as well as a VS video between the i5 and my L&P L3 and Hifiman Supermini DAP's as well.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #2,428 of 3,742
  Here's my review of the i5. This really is an outstanding unit that I whole heartedly enjoyed experiencing. They pair with the @MezeTeam 99 Classics sublimely well but sadly don't do so well with hyper sensitive c/iems. I'm also editing my YouTube review as well as a VS video between the i5 and my L&P L3 and Hifiman Supermini DAP's as well.

In reference to pair up with sensitive monitors, i5 is right in the middle between low power L3 (designed for IEMs) and high power Supermini (sensitive IEMs worst nightmare)
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,429 of 3,742
Here's my review of the i5. This really is an outstanding unit that I whole heartedly enjoyed experiencing. They pair with the @MezeTeam
 99 Classics sublimely well but sadly don't do so well with hyper sensitive c/iems. I'm also editing my YouTube review as well as a VS video between the i5 and my L&P L3 and Hifiman Supermini DAP's as well.

Good review. I too, had issues with a combo of devices and hiss. I won't go into detail, but DEFINITELY found a sweet spot combo with the i5. Wonderful it is. Looking forward to the video!

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #2,430 of 3,742

Nice review! I also think the synergy with the 99 classics to be superb!
I had the vega for review atm and had a chance to use it with the cayin for 2 days, I agree with you that it's not doing so hot with iems compared to bigger cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back