Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #421 of 6,285
Thanks for your shared experience. I liked they way you describe HD800S with HA300. This will temp me to borrow an 800S to audition as I consider whether to upgrade to 800S or just replace my old 800 which had problem with the right can. My preference of music large scale orchestra works and therefore I am going after sound-stage, imaging, instrument separation and details. Cheers !

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #422 of 6,285
Thanks for your shared experience. I liked they way you describe HD800S with HA300. This will temp me to borrow an 800S to audition as I consider whether to upgrade to 800S or just replace my old 800 which had problem with the right can. My preference of music large scale orchestra works and therefore I am going after sound-stage, imaging, instrument separation and details. Cheers !
If you like the sound of the HD800 then you should like the 800S. If you are a fan of soundstage and imaging then the 800S is even better than the 800 when used balanced. I have heard a lot of planar and electrostatic headphones with a variety of amps. My preference for the 800S remains and when paired with the HA300 is only reinforced. The one combination I have heard that betters this combination is the HE1. Again though if you like the sound of the Meze Empyrean or Hi-Fi Man Susvara or Focal Utopia then this may not be the case for you ear.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #424 of 6,285
Sounds great with the Meze Empyrean
The Empyreans are very good indeed but sadly I have not tried them with the HA300. I have tried them with another valve headphone amp and preferred my HD800S which I was able to compare directly. In fairness if you prefer a planar type sound the Mezes are the best I have heard or at least equal with the HiFiMan Susvara. Nonetheless I prefer what the HD800S does in terms of imaging and soundstage and extended treble so I will stick with them. I am certain other folks will have a differing view and that is right and proper...for them.

Nov 10, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #425 of 6,285
IMG_0437.jpg

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #426 of 6,285
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #427 of 6,285
My HA-300 arrived last night.

As part of doing a "reconnaissance lap", I briefly sampled the headphones I have on hand and found the Susvara easily stood out as the most interesting pairing. Even un-burned-in and with the stock tubes, imaging on the Susvara is so very nice. Easily among the best imaging with the Susvara I've ever heard, maybe more so. Puts the Abyss Phi TC with my Pass Labs solid state speaker amp to shame in this regard. The jury's still out on questions of bass quantity and extension, but there are many other strong points with this pairing, including communicating the appeal of 300B in general.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to groking what this amp has to offer in the coming weeks. I have some EML 300Bs on the way this evening.

IMG_20191205_004024.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #428 of 6,285

As part of doing a "reconnaissance lap", I briefly sampled the headphones I have on hand and found the Susvara easily stood out as the most interesting pairing. Even un-burned-in and with the stock tubes, imaging on the Susvara is so very nice. Easily among the best imaging with the Susvara I've ever heard, maybe more so. Puts the Abyss Phi TC with my Pass Labs solid state speaker amp to shame in this regard. The jury's still out on questions of bass quantity and extension, but there are many other strong points with this pairing, including communicating the appeal of 300B in general.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to groking what this amp has to offer in the coming weeks. I have some EML 300Bs on the way this evening.

Nice. Try it with the Empyrean as well.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #429 of 6,285

You might want to consider rolling the 6SN7s first as a couple of folks (including Andy Kong) have suggested this will provide a bigger improvement. Anyhow just a thought! I am going to have a look at valve in the New Year and once I have got the loudspeakers finally sorted. I had been looking at the PSVane range which seem well regarded and have valves at a range of price levels. I believe they are the folks who made the new 300B valve for Audio Note which is being touted as the best in breed...

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #431 of 6,285
You might want to consider rolling the 6SN7s first as a couple of folks (including Andy Kong) have suggested this will provide a bigger improvement
I agree, even though the output tubes upgrade was noticable, the driver tubes change is more apparent and I myself preferred some Sylvania, which made it a bit more lively.
:)

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #432 of 6,285
You might want to consider rolling the 6SN7s first as a couple of folks (including Andy Kong) have suggested this will provide a bigger improvement. Anyhow just a thought! I am going to have a look at valve in the New Year and once I have got the loudspeakers finally sorted. I had been looking at the PSVane range which seem well regarded and have valves at a range of price levels. I believe they are the folks who made the new 300B valve for Audio Note which is being touted as the best in breed...

I’ve tried a few and the Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass and round plates. Takes the amp to a new level.

I agree, even though the output tubes upgrade was noticable, the driver tubes change is more apparent and I myself preferred some Sylvania, which made it a bit more lively.

Thanks yep, I have these on deck:

PSVane CV181-TII
Sylvania 6SN7GT
RCA 6SN7GTB​

I'll for sure keep the Tung Sols in mind if and when I conclude that it's time to up the ante.

And for the power tubes, will be (burning in and) trying these out:

EML 300B
JJ 300B (thanks Ken!)​

I shouldn't even say this since it surely exposes me as a "bad" audiophile but rolling tubes in previous tube amps didn't make much of a difference to my ears. However, I have a feeling that will not be the case this time around.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #433 of 6,285
I’ve tried a few and the Tung Sol 6SN7GT black glass and round plates. Takes the amp to a new level.
Those are my favorites as well..
I actually prefer to use the coke-bottle type equivalents(with adapter) with any amps using 6sn7..
Screenshot_20191205-144417.jpg
:)

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #434 of 6,285
Thanks yep, I have these on deck:

PSVane CV181-TII
Sylvania 6SN7GT
RCA 6SN7GTB​

I'll for sure keep the Tung Sols in mind if and when I conclude that it's time to up the ante.

And for the power tubes, will be (burning in and) trying these out:

EML 300B
JJ 300B (thanks Ken!)​

I shouldn't even say this since it surely exposes me as a "bad" audiophile but rolling tubes in previous tube amps didn't make much of a difference to my ears. However, I have a feeling that will not be the case this time around.

Guaranteed.

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #435 of 6,285

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back