Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
Aug 22, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #391 of 6,283
I really, really like this amp, makes lower priced headphones sound amazing. My AKG K7XX and Elex have been my favorite for the last couple of weeks. HD 800s are going to be here this weekend if everything works out and I am excited to see if the hype is real for this match up. I wanted my 100th post to be on this thread!!!

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #393 of 6,283
I just read through the whole thread and I am wondering - have we figured out why SE output has a higher maximum power output than the XLR output?

More importantly, this amp is on my shortlist of 3, the others being the Woo WA22 and WA6-SE. I am curious if anybody has experience with these amps and could share some comparative impressions.
Do note that I have a preference to planars and that the Arya and Empyrean are next on my list, with the Aeolus being the only dynamic in my consideration.

Cheers :)

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #395 of 6,283
After using HA-300 for two months, I sometimes feel that the volume of left channel is slightly lower that that of right channel. I just tested with Pink Noise playlist in Spotify and found as attached images. You could see that the level of VU meter on the left is lower that that on the right. I already contacted my dealer. They recommended the initial test by swapping left/right tubes and rechecked the volume. I haven't tried that yet.

1. Please suggest how to remove / install the tube.

2. Any other advices are also welcomed. Thank you.

Pink Noise.jpg

IMG_5455.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #396 of 6,283
No special technique. Just try to grab it by the base and pull straight up. You might have to wiggle it a little bit as you’re pulling up. I always use the gloves that it came with so I don’t put fingerprints on the glass. I don’t know if that matters or not.

Sep 20, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #397 of 6,283
After using HA-300 for two months, I sometimes feel that the volume of left channel is slightly lower that that of right channel. I just tested with Pink Noise playlist in Spotify and found as attached images. You could see that the level of VU meter on the left is lower that that on the right. I already contacted my dealer. They recommended the initial test by swapping left/right tubes and rechecked the volume. I haven't tried that yet.

1. Please suggest how to remove / install the tube.

2. Any other advices are also welcomed. Thank you.

Silly question, but...

Are you sure it's the amp? Simple test -- swap the inputs and see if the problem stays put or moves.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #398 of 6,283
No special technique. Just try to grab it by the base and pull straight up. You might have to wiggle it a little bit as you’re pulling up. I always use the gloves that it came with so I don’t put fingerprints on the glass. I don’t know if that matters or not.

Also be sure the amplifier is turned OFF before doing this!

Sep 20, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #399 of 6,283

Thank you. Since this is my first tube amp, I was not sure whether I have to twist the tube before or pull it up directly.

Silly question, but...

Are you sure it's the amp? Simple test -- swap the inputs and see if the problem stays put or moves.

Thank you for mention that. There is no silly question. I don't have other source, but I will try to swap left/right balance input cables. Initially, my R-28 ( source ) is DAC/Amp. If I drive my HP directly from it, there is no balance issue. However, it could be the output ports or the cables impact as well.

Also be sure the amplifier is turned OFF before doing this!

Thank you. Sure I will follow that.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #400 of 6,283
Is this amp self biasing? May be that it needs bias on the tubes? It is common to find one tube lower than the other, that is why tube sellers are supposed to sell as pairs, matching.

Don't forget the power tube and the smaller driver tubes both need to be balanced left to right.

On a similar subject, I would personally never buy a HP amp without manual balance control pot (like a volume pot but balance). It drives me nuts if one side is louder than the other on headphones. You can get away with it a bit of on speakers.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #401 of 6,283
On a similar subject, I would personally never buy a HP amp without manual balance control pot (like a volume pot but balance). It drives me nuts if one side is louder than the other on headphones. You can get away with it a bit of on speakers.

I have had multiple amps over the years, none having had a manual balance control pot, and have not had a balance issue. This includes currently the Cayin HA-300, ZMF Pendant, Allnic HPA-3000 GT and a Bottlehead Crack/SB.

Ake-Y I hope you get your problem sorted, the 300 is an incredible amp.

Sep 22, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #403 of 6,283
I need a balance knob, as my right ear is down maybe 7-10%

Sep 22, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #404 of 6,283
I have had multiple amps over the years, none having had a manual balance control pot, and have not had a balance issue. This includes currently the Cayin HA-300, ZMF Pendant, Allnic HPA-3000 GT and a Bottlehead Crack/SB.

Ake-Y I hope you get your problem sorted, the 300 is an incredible amp.
I just ordered the Pendant which will be my first tube amp. I emailed Zach for help but wondering if you have any guidance to offer being you have one? I'm using Verite and Eikon as the main cans for this amp. Will I be able too enjoy my planar's from this setup aswell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back