Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Oct 15, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #4,951 of 6,212
Is there another version stated that the MAXIMUM rated output level is 4.1Vrms? It didn't stated MAX output voltage level in your link, nor described that the rated output level of 4.1Vrms is achieved at Low gain or high gain.

Well, 8.3 VRMS for the PO is also maximum, no?

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #4,952 of 6,212
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #4,954 of 6,212
Today I have switched to Class A ss and Elite to the alcantara pads.
kglwbbcg2z84b_600.jpg
Thrilling...

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #4,955 of 6,212
Before I start want to pass on "Thank You's" to the early contributors to this thread and especially to Andy Kong for all of his info and transparency of what is the C9, all of you have posted great info and insights that made me want to go and buy one and now I am just enjoying the c9 thoroughly! Also want to pass on Thank You's to Christian at PlusSound Audio and Eric Chong at Eletech for their input and advise for upgraded interconnects which have made a difference and the subject of my post today.

I know the topic of cables and the associated costs have launched many religious wars here on Head-Fi. Many consider it snake oil, but I view cables as the "final" tuning that can be done to IEM's or even source devices. IF the sound signature you are seeking is close with the HW you've purchased, and your already using high bit rate MP3's or preferably FLAC files, then eeking out that last bit of enjoyment can be found in changing cables. Will it convert HW that is overly dark or bright into the perfect system, NO. but if it is close, and you like what your HW is presenting to you, it makes sense to save your investment in said HW and tweak on it with cables, and this is my opinion and a philosophy I follow.
I don't consider myself a reviewer, just someone who enjoys audio and has been around the block a few times, and likes to share info. Please understand what I write below is IMO and that YMMV.
Also all of these cables were purchased, nothing was provided to me by any of the OEM's mentioned, nor am I getting anything in return for what I am writing below.
I'm just another audio enthusiast like most everyone else here at Head-fi.

I just want to share info today about interconnects and how I think it affects the quality/enjoyment of the sound as while early on there were a few posts about interconnects making a difference, haven't seen more on the topic
I've allowed the C9 to have well over the 50+ hours of burn in as recommended by many on this thread, as well as on the various IC's I've procured or commissioned.
As "Ichos" mentions above, the Class "A" / Tube Timbre is so addicting and easy to listen to that for all of the listening/testing I did for the interconnects, I used the Tube Timbre and mostly Class A amplification, but some Class AB amplification on the Cayin C9 for critical back to back listening, I did do some work with the Solid State Amplification but the changes in sound were much more pronounced between the interconncets that for this write up, will stick to notes I made for Tube/Class A.

Source was my Lotoo PAW 6000 in variable line out mode, and the C9 in Pre Input/Pure Amplification Mode bypass all of the Cayin's preamp sections.
This combination is REALLY good, and to me is a much fuller sound than any other sources I borrowed or tired during the several months I have taken to get to this write up!
This included even the Cayin N6ii with a A02 Module. The N6ii/A02 preout combo was close, but for my tastes I preferred the PAW6K/C9 combo with the PAW6K being a true preamp contolling the volume. The sound was just clear, and with the C9 in Pure Amp/tube/class A mode very analog, full, rich and warm regardless of genre of music! - Again IMO
I also only listened to the 4.4mm Balanced input for the most part. While the Single Ended 3.5m was nice, the Balanced input seem to have a wider soundstage and with some cables a deeper front to back presence. Again just my preference as this is not meant to be an end all be all write up.
IEM used were my new (but well over 200 hours of time on them) JH Audio Jolene's (dynamic bass and low mids drivers and BA high mids and high for a total of 12 drivers per side) going through a Palladium Plated Copper/Silver Hybrid cable
Source material was all mostly FLAC recordings which included original Master Recording modern Jazz, Older Rock including many with lots of 3 part harmony, Standards Jazz and Classical/full Orchestra with some Acid Jazz Club music as source material.

I'm going to score the interconnect cables discussed below on a 1-10 scale
Also I borrowed or tired as many different interconnects I could use, but will concentrate on 4 for this write up and may briefly mention the few that I did not own as I could not provide full burn in time/knew how burn in they had, and well for me did not measure up to the 4 interconnects I'm going to concentrate on below

Cayin's provided 8 wire Copper Interconnect with the C9. (Approx $45 by itself from Cayin/Cayin resellers)
Using the Stock Copper 8 wire cable that Cayin provided is the baseline for the 4 interconnects since most will have this as their primary cable.
The cable build is of great quality and much better than cables often provided by other OEM's.
It was good, nice balanced sound but highs seemed to be a little veiled and sub bass was a little muddy
Very narrow soundstage, sound is in my head and not extending out
I'd give the Cayin stock cable a 4+/5 out of 10
Most will be able to live with this interconnect and be happy not spending more, but others will blame the C9 for not sounding as good as they expected, and here is where changing out the interconnect should be explored.
But let me say this.
It was better than some less expensive "plastic" throw in or supposed OCC copper or SPC 4.4mm balanced cables as well as some of the really inexpensive interconnects on Amazon or similar stores in the $35-$75 range that are supposed to be SPC (but not sure as it sure did not sound like it) that others let me try who were using for a variety of other 4.4mm input amps/dac-amps they were using. I'd give these cables a 1-3 at tops.
So yes the Cayin is much better then inexpensive cables that are out there

Plus Sound X8, 8 wire custom interconnect using OCC Silver Platted Copper and OCC Silver+Gold alloy wires and PlusSound Rhodium Platted 4.4mm TRRRS termination (Approx $350-400 depending on options chosen and shipping)
Speaking with Christian at PlusSound and wanting to take baby steps, he and I settled on a the combination above since he felt a straight copper or even SPC 8 wire probably would not give me much more than the stock Cayin cable. Adding the Silver + Gold alloy wires to the SPC would help with extending the highs and still keep the bass signature I was hearing
This cable proved to be much better than the stock Cayin cable. It had an greater quantity of bass and was less muddy to my ears, more clarity in the mids, highs much better and little more extended, but still seem to be a slight veil on them
Sound stage is still in my head but there was MUCH more space between instruments and vocals.
I give this combo a solid "6" as slightly better than the stock cable but there can be more done to clear the highs and add more depth and width to the sound

Also as a note: I also had this cable made in a 12" length
Even though the Lotoo PAW6K has a setting to flip the screen 180' allowing the use of a short interconnect vs the input locations, having the little extra length allowed me more flexibility, without having to flip the UI. I did not perceive any loss of SQ for the extra 6" in length but gained much more usability and was not putting any extra stain on the connectors. Anyone not using a DAP or Source that allows you to move the interface getting a 12" cable is highly recommended for the minimal cost change.
As to using the Rhodium Platted terminations. There has been many write ups on various pages here on Head-Fi (in The Effect Audio Thread and several others) that over gold or even straight copper TRRS/TRRRS plugs, the Rhodium platted plugs (Like PlusSounds, Effect Audio's, Eidolic or Furutech's) seem to add a little more smoothness to the sound. Also these plugs seem to wear much better than other platings I've tried, just as another bonus.

Eletech Iliad 4 wire 4.4mm Interconnect (Combination of Silver+gold Alloy, Pure Silver and Palladium Platted Silver 24 AWG wires) $329 + Shipping from Singapore)
Vs the SPC+/Silver+Gold cable mentioned above with the Iliad it started to move the sound out of my head, and started to give me better front to back (not completely but more so than the previous 2 cables which were definitely still in my head)
The veil on the highs are gone. Some nice Sub Bass rumble now there. Highs are nice and smooth but that might be because the mid highs are now clear, but I did notice with the Iliad there was a little less extension to the highs that the PlusSound Cable above
In general the cable is warm, inviting and VERY easy to listen to. the Iliad initially sound smoother, as it’s a little more “Mid Forward”
This interconnect has decent bass control and extension into the sub bass, and the highs are smooth and easy to listen to.
Many will stop here as going anywhere else will be a serious investment of money
I think the Iliad because of its use of larger diameter of the wires (24AWG vs 26 AWG) it does NOT loose anything to an 8 wire.
I was contemplating buying one of Eletech's 6 wire Iliad Interconnects (True ground on 2 wires) but seeing some of the comments early on in this C9 thread, saved the money and just went with the 4 wire.
The Iliad is a 8 (initially thought a “9” but looking to do a 12" wire it led me to the interconnect below that well blew the Iliad away, leaving it with an 8 rating)

But having tried a 12" interconnect and enjoying the benefits, I reached out to Eric about the cost of doing a 12" interconnect, and well given COVID and I guess some other projects they are backed up on, it just did not come to be, which led me to try another combination below

PlusSound X8, 8 wire custom 4.4mm interconnect using 4 wires of their Tri-Silver (Gold Platted Silver, Pure Silver, Palladium Platted Silver) and 4 wires of their Palladium Platted Hybrid (Palladium Platted Copper + Palladium Platted Silver) ($900-1200 depending on options and shipping)
Vs. the Iliad it has an clear cleaner soundstage that is now completely outside of my head
The effect on the sound for this cable I feel like I’m just sitting on stage as a guest of the performers. The Iliad I’m in the first 5 rows but not onstage,
Definitely extension on the highs that are clear and never goes to sibliance/shrill, and the sub bass now has an authoritative rumble, deep and clear
I think what I heard initially is the Iliad sounds smoother, but when you really start listening the clarity and pinpoint accuracy of this hybrid is what makes it a little more accurate but in turn maybe a little more "clinical" vs the Iliad, hence the difference in sound, but hands down a MUCH wider and deeper soundstage
There is quite a bit more Bass/Sub bass, and almost subwoofer like. Compared to the Iliad, NO CONTEST, there is just MUCH MORE Bass, and its tighter and clearer.
The mids are definitely less upfront/in your face than the Iliad, and I think the extra Mids is what makes the Iliad initially sound smoother.
But as I started listening for specific items, this Hybrid PPH/Tri-Silver is MUCH cleaner in the mids, much sharper. I can pinpoint specific sounds where in the Iliad they sometimes just get jumbled to the back. And like the first PlusSound cable above, just more air between/amongst the instruments and vocals.
The highs again are much clearer and much more focused and are really fun to listen to
Soundstage is JUST incredible. At least 1.5 to 2X wider than the Iliad left to right. Front to back HANDS DOWN much better.
The clarity I’m hearing is more “live sound” than a recording, I expect this will be the right investment for the Cayin C9 to reach fill potential
I give this a 9+ rating. Is there room for improvement? Well there always is so I've yet to hear what I think is a 10

It’s just the price that I’d say will make people pause with this interconnect, and what feeds the religious wars about cables.
If the Iliad is 90% there, will someone want to pay the extra to get to 100%? because of the costs I'll be selling the Iliad and the first PlusSound Cable to try and recover some investment
I think for some if they get a chance to listen to it, some will pull the trigger. but for most, nope, they can't justify the ROI. Again this is all In My Opinion (IMO) and Your Milage May Vary (YMMV)

the only other cable I was able to borrow but I do not know how much burn in time it had so did not want to give a full write up, is the iFi 4.4mm Interconnect
Its more expensive than the cheaper $25-45 interconncets out there, but it is listed as pure OCC- silver cable.
It is reasonably priced (less than $90 on Amazon in the US) but again since I did not know if the cable has burned in I don't want to give it a rating but during my time with it, had nice bass, a little more controlled, and decent mids, but there seem to be a peak in the Mid highs and again in the highs that on some tracks went to being sibilant and caused me to cringe a little. I honestly think this cable will sound good with burn in time/brain burn in, but for me having the other cables on hand, I just stopped listening to it.

For the Cayin C9 reviews if memory serves me correctly only Twister 6 did a small review within his review of the C9 about interconnects and how it influenced the end sound. (He used a Eletech Iliad, a Romy Audio Encryption Series Sensation IC Cable (Talk about a price heart attack) and DHC Silver)

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and again this is what I hear and is just my opinion, but I hope it helps those who like their Cayin C9 but thought there should be more. There can be with a little time and investment. I'm thoroughly enjoying my investments and for now just sitting back and enjoying the sound

Pictures of the 4 interconnects
PS X8 Hybrid - Iliad - PS X8 SPC-silver - Cayin Stock.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #4,956 of 6,212
Before I start want to pass on "Thank You's" to the early contributors to this thread and especially to Andy Kong for all of his info and transparency of what is the C9, all of you have posted great info and insights that made me want to go and buy one and now I am just enjoying the c9 thoroughly! Also want to pass on Thank You's to Christian at PlusSound Audio and Eric Chong at Eletech for their input and advise for upgraded interconnects which have made a difference and the subject of my post today.

I know the topic of cables and the associated costs have launched many religious wars here on Head-Fi. Many consider it snake oil, but I view cables as the "final" tuning that can be done to IEM's or even source devices. IF the sound signature you are seeking is close with the HW you've purchased, and your already using high bit rate MP3's or preferably FLAC files, then eeking out that last bit of enjoyment can be found in changing cables. Will it convert HW that is overly dark or bright into the perfect system, NO. but if it is close, and you like what your HW is presenting to you, it makes sense to save your investment in said HW and tweak on it with cables, and this is my opinion and a philosophy I follow.
I don't consider myself a reviewer, just someone who enjoys audio and has been around the block a few times, and likes to share info. Please understand what I write below is IMO and that YMMV.
Also all of these cables were purchased, nothing was provided to me by any of the OEM's mentioned, nor am I getting anything in return for what I am writing below.

I just want to share info today about interconnects and how I think it affects the quality/enjoyment of the sound as while early on there were a few posts about interconnects making a difference, haven't seen more on the topic
I've allowed the C9 to have well over the 50+ hours of burn in as recommended by many on this thread, as well as on the various IC's I've procured or commissioned.
As "Ichos" mentions above, the Class "A" / Tube Timbre is so addicting and easy to listen to that for all of the listening/testing I did for the interconnects, I used the Tube Timbre and mostly Class A amplification, but some Class AB amplification on the Cayin C9 for critical back to back listening, I did do some work with the Solid State Amplification but the changes in sound were much more pronounced between the interconncets that for this write up, will stick to notes I made for Tube/Class A.

Source was my Lotoo PAW 6000 in variable line out mode, and the C9 in Pre Input/Pure Amplification Mode bypass all of the Cayin's preamp sections.
This combination is REALLY good, and to me is a much fuller sound than any other sources I borrowed or tired during the several months I have taken to get to this write up!
This included even the Cayin N6ii with a A02 Module. The N6ii/A02 preout combo was close, but for my tastes I preferred the PAW6K/C9 combo with the PAW6K being a true preamp contolling the volume. The sound was just clear, and with the C9 in Pure Amp/tube/class A mode very analog, full, rich and warm regardless of genre of music! - Again IMO
I also only listened to the 4.4mm Balanced input for the most part. While the Single Ended 3.5m was nice, the Balanced input seem to have a wider soundstage and with some cables a deeper front to back presence. Again just my preference as this is not meant to be an end all be all write up.
IEM used were my new (but well over 200 hours of time on them) JH Audio Jolene's (dynamic bass and low mids drivers and BA high mids and high for a total of 12 drivers per side) going through a Palladium Plated Copper/Silver Hybrid cable
Source material was all mostly FLAC recordings which included original Master Recording modern Jazz, Older Rock including many with lots of 3 part harmony, Standards Jazz and Classical/full Orchestra with some Acid Jazz Club music as source material.

Also I borrowed or tired as many different interconnects I could use, but will concentrate on 4 for this write up and may briefly mention the few that I did not own as I could not provide full burn in time/knew how burn in they had, and well for me did not measure up to the 4 interconnects I'm going to concentrate on below

Cayin's provided 8 wire Copper Interconnect with the C9. (Approx $45 by itself from Cayin/Cayin resellers)
Using the Stock Copper 8 wire cable that Cayin provided is the baseline for the 4 interconnects since most will have this as their primary cable.
The cable build is of great quality and much better than cables often provided by other OEM's.
It was good, nice balanced sound but highs seemed to be a little veiled and sub bass was a little muddy
Most will be able to live with this interconnect and be happy not spending more, but others will blame the C9 for not sounding as good as they expected, and here is where changing out the interconnect should be explored.
But let me say this.
It was better than some less expensive "plastic" throw in or supposed OCC copper or SPC 4.4mm balanced cables as well as some of the really inexpensive interconnects on Amazon or similar stores in the $35-$75 range that are supposed to be SPC (but not sure as it sure did not sound like it) that others let me try who were using for a variety of other 4.4mm input amps/dac-amps they were using. I'd give these cables a 1-3 at tops.

Plus Sound X8, 8 wire custom interconnect using OCC Silver Platted Copper and OCC Silver+Gold alloy wires and PlusSound Rhodium Platted 4.4mm TRRRS termination (Approx $350-400 depending on options chosen and shipping)
Speaking with Christian at PlusSound and wanting to take baby steps, he and I settled on a the combination above since he felt a straight copper or even SPC 8 wire probably would not give me much more than the stock Cayin cable. Adding the Silver + Gold alloy wires to the SPC would help with extending the highs and still keep the bass signature I was hearing
This cable proved to be much better than the stock Cayin cable. It had an greater quantity of bass and was less muddy to my ears, more clarity in the mids, highs much better and little more extended, but still seem to be a slight veil on them
Sound stage is still in my head but there was MUCH more space between instruments and vocals.
I give this combo a solid "6" as slightly better than the stock cable but there can be more done to clear the highs and add more depth and width to the sound

Even though the Lotoo PAW6K has a setting to flip the screen 180' allowing the use of a short interconnect vs the input locations, having the little extra length allowed me more flexibility, without having to flip the UI. I did not perceive any loss of SQ for the extra 6" in length but gained much more usability and was not putting any extra stain on the connectors. Anyone not using a DAP or Source that allows you to move the interface getting a 12" cable is highly recommended for the minimal cost change.
As to using the Rhodium Platted terminations. There has been many write ups on various pages here on Head-Fi (in The Effect Audio Thread and several others) that over gold or even straight copper TRRS/TRRRS plugs, the Rhodium platted plugs (Like PlusSounds, Effect Audio's, Eidolic or Furutech's) seem to add a little more smoothness to the sound. Also these plugs seem to wear much better than other platings I've tried, just as another bonus.

Eletech Iliad 4 wire 4.4mm Interconnect (Combination of Silver+gold Alloy, Pure Silver and Palladium Platted Silver 24 AWG wires) $329 + Shipping from Singapore)
Vs the SPC+/Silver+Gold cable mentioned above with the Iliad it started to move the sound out of my head, and started to give me better front to back (not completely but more so than the previous 2 cables which were definitely still in my head)
The veil on the highs are gone. Some nice Sub Bass rumble now there. Highs are nice and smooth but that might be because the mid highs are now clear, but I did notice with the Iliad there was a little less extension to the highs that the PlusSound Cable above
In general the cable is warm, inviting and VERY easy to listen to. the Iliad initially sound smoother, as it’s a little more “Mid Forward”
This interconnect has decent bass control and extension into the sub bass, and the highs are smooth and easy to listen to.
Many will stop here as going anywhere else will be a serious investment of money
I think the Iliad because of its use of larger diameter of the wires (24AWG vs 26 AWG) it does NOT loose anything to an 8 wire.
I was contemplating buying one of Eletech's 6 wire Iliad Interconnects (True ground on 2 wires) but seeing some of the comments early on in this C9 thread, saved the money and just went with the 4 wire.
The Iliad is a 8 (initially thought a “9” but looking to do a 12" wire it led me to the interconnect below that well blew the Iliad away, leaving it with an 8 rating)

But having tried a 12" interconnect and enjoying the benefits, I reached out to Eric about the cost of doing a 12" interconnect, and well given COVID and I guess some other projects they are backed up on, it just did not come to be, which led me to try another combination below

PlusSound X8, 8 wire custom 4.4mm interconnect using 4 wires of their Tri-Silver (Gold Platted Silver, Pure Silver, Palladium Platted Silver) and 4 wires of their Palladium Platted Hybrid (Palladium Platted Copper + Palladium Platted Silver) ($900-1200 depending on options and shipping)
Vs. the Iliad it has an clear cleaner soundstage that is now completely outside of my head
The effect on the sound for this cable I feel like I’m just sitting on stage as a guest of the performers. The Iliad I’m in the first 5 rows but not onstage,
Definitely extension on the highs that are clear and never goes to sibliance/shrill, and the sub bass now has an authoritative rumble, deep and clear
I think what I heard initially is the Iliad sounds smoother, but when you really start listening the clarity and pinpoint accuracy of this hybrid is what makes it a little more accurate but in turn maybe a little more "clinical" vs the Iliad, hence the difference in sound, but hands down a MUCH wider and deeper soundstage
There is quite a bit more Bass/Sub bass, and almost subwoofer like. Compared to the Iliad, NO CONTEST, there is just MUCH MORE Bass, and its tighter and clearer.
The mids are definitely less upfront/in your face than the Iliad, and I think the extra Mids is what makes the Iliad initially sound smoother.
But as I started listening for specific items, this Hybrid PPH/Tri-Silver is MUCH cleaner in the mids, much sharper. I can pinpoint specific sounds where in the Iliad they sometimes just get jumbled to the back. And like the first PlusSound cable above, just more air between/amongst the instruments and vocals.
The highs again are much clearer and much more focused and are really fun to listen to
Soundstage is JUST incredible. At least 1.5 to 2X wider than the Iliad left to right. Front to back HANDS DOWN much better.
The clarity I’m hearing is more “live sound” than a recording, I expect this will be the right investment for the Cayin C9 to reach fill potential
I give this a 9+ rating. Is there room for improvement? Well there always is so I've yet to hear what I think is a 10

It’s just the price that I’d say will make people pause with this interconnect, and what feeds the religious wars about cables.
If the Iliad is 90% there, will someone want to pay the extra to get to 100%? because of the costs I'll be selling the Iliad and the first PlusSound Cable to try and recover some investment
I think for some if they get a chance to listen to it, some will pull the trigger. but for most, nope, they can't justify the ROI. Again this is all In My Opinion (IMO) and Your Milage May Vary (YMMV)

the only other cable I was able to borrow but I do not know how much burn in time it had so did not want to give a full write up, is the iFi 4.4mm Interconnect
Its more expensive than the cheaper $25-45 interconncets out there, but it is listed as pure OCC- silver cable.
It is reasonably priced (less than $90 on Amazon in the US) but again since I did not know if the cable has burned in I don't want to give it a rating but during my time with it, had nice bass, a little more controlled, and decent mids, but there seem to be a peak in the Mid highs and again in the highs that on some tracks went to being sibilant and caused me to cringe a little. I honestly think this cable will sound good with burn in time/brain burn in, but for me having the other cables on hand, I just stopped listening to it.

For the Cayin C9 reviews if memory serves me correctly only Twister 6 did a small review within his review of the C9 about interconnects and how it influenced the end sound. (He used a Eletech Iliad, a Romy Audio Encryption Series Sensation IC Cable (Talk about a price heart attack) and DHC Silver)

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading and again this is what I hear and is just my opinion, but I hope it helps those who like their Cayin C9 but thought there should be more. There can be with a little time and investment. I'm thoroughly enjoying my investments and for now just sitting back and enjoying the sound

PS X8 Hybrid - Iliad - PS X8 SPC-silver - Cayin Stock.jpg
I enjoyed reading this thread. I am sure there is always a considerable number of consumers to pay nearly the price of the amplifier for an interconnect cable to reach 100% sound quality (or whatever according to the standards set by the consumers themselves). Not debating this at all.

Just to make one clarification about the Eletech Illiad interconnect cable. The one you tested is not the one I think @twister6 tested.

Here is an excerpt from his website

Cayin to Eletech Iliad 6W – the improvement is also noticeable with sound having more air and sparkle, bass deeper, but overall tonality was still natural and organic. One interesting observation which I confirmed multiple times is that in addition to improvement in width I also hear some improvement in depth. This is the only interconnect cable I have with a proper wiring that has both signal pairs and GND connected between the plugs.

The one he discussed in the review costs $449, not $329. The cost increase has a lot to do with grounding I believe and is a different interconnect by itself.

Cayin C9 enhances/expands good qualities of the source that is connected to. LOTOO PAW 6000 is a TOTL DAP in terms of its sheer transparency/resolution and connecting it to C9 through Preamp-input only makes the sound become even more wonderful,joyful, etc. you know the adjectives :) .

Kudos to @Andykong and his team at Cayin for coming up with one of the best portable tube/SS hybrid amplifier in the market. The combinations of Pre/Line outs, Class A/AB, Tube/SS make this one stop shop for whatever way you like to listen to music.

They somehow seem to not get enough credit for their solid state mode of amplification (Cayin N8 4.4 mm case in point) and even in the case of C9. It is awesome and if not better than Tube itself.

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #4,957 of 6,212
I enjoyed reading this thread. I am sure there is always a considerable number of consumers to pay nearly the price of the amplifier for an interconnect cable to reach 100% sound quality (or whatever according to the standards set by the consumers themselves). Not debating this at all.

Just to make one clarification about the Eletech Illiad interconnect cable. The one you tested is not the one I think @twister6 tested.

Here is an excerpt from his website

Cayin to Eletech Iliad 6W – the improvement is also noticeable with sound having more air and sparkle, bass deeper, but overall tonality was still natural and organic. One interesting observation which I confirmed multiple times is that in addition to improvement in width I also hear some improvement in depth. This is the only interconnect cable I have with a proper wiring that has both signal pairs and GND connected between the plugs.

The one he discussed in the review costs $449, not $329. The cost increase has a lot to do with grounding I believe and is a different interconnect by itself.

Cayin C9 enhances/expands good qualities of the source that is connected to. LOTOO PAW 6000 is a TOTL DAP in terms of its sheer transparency/resolution and connecting it to C9 through Preamp-input only makes the sound become even more wonderful,joyful, etc. you know the adjectives :) .

Kudos to @Andykong and his team at Cayin for coming up with one of the best portable tube/SS hybrid amplifier in the market. The combinations of Pre/Line outs, Class A/AB, Tube/SS make this one stop shop for whatever way you like to listen to music.

They somehow seem to not get enough credit for their solid state mode of amplification (Cayin N8 4.4 mm case in point) and even in the case of C9. It is awesome and if not better than Tube itself.
Ssriram2791

Thank you for the kind words.

As to Twister6 & the Iliad IC.
Yes you are correct, Twister6 did test the 6 wire and it is quite a bit more expensive.
I gave the $329 pricing as what I wrote about is the 4 Wire Iliad that I own and tested. Sorry for the confusion.
I was just pointing out only a few have mentioned how interconnects can make a difference and of the pro reviewers I think it’s Twister6 and maybe one other.

And fully agree with Andy Kong and his complete transparency and keeping us all informed. Big thumbs up.

Thanks again!

Oct 16, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #4,958 of 6,212

But let me say this.

I really enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing your experience. 👍

A couple questions: did you feel using the volume control on your Lotoo produced a better sound than using the Cayin volume control, or did you hook it up this way for better usage for your setup? Second, do you feel 50 hours of burn in on the C9 was enough? I wonder if through the cable evaluation some of the better differences heard might also be attributed to the C9 getting more burn-in time.

Your comment about class A operation with the tubes on thrills me on what to expect when I buy my C9 at the end of the year. 🤪

I agree with your assessment that desirable changes can occur even with really short cables. I think I’ll check out PlusSound since they are in CA, so easy for me to do business with.

Oh, one other thing … the C9 will convert a 3.5mm input to balanced from what I’ve read. You mentioned you liked the 4.4mm connection better, so I guess there is a sonic hit with this conversion. I’m going to be using my SA700 which doesn’t have a 4.4mm output. Of course, if I decide to buy a Plus Sound cable, I’ll order it as a 2.5mm to 4.4mm version.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #4,960 of 6,212
I really enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing your experience. 👍

A couple questions: did you feel using the volume control on your Lotoo produced a better sound than using the Cayin volume control, or did you hook it up this way for better usage for your setup? Second, do you feel 50 hours of burn in on the C9 was enough? I wonder if through the cable evaluation some of the better differences heard might also be attributed to the C9 getting more burn-in time.

Your comment about class A operation with the tubes on thrills me on what to expect when I buy my C9 at the end of the year. 🤪

I agree with your assessment that desirable changes can occur even with really short cables. I think I’ll check out PlusSound since they are in CA, so easy for me to do business with.

Oh, one other thing … the C9 will convert a 3.5mm input to balanced from what I’ve read. You mentioned you liked the 4.4mm connection better, so I guess there is a sonic hit with this conversion. I’m going to be using my SA700 which doesn’t have a 4.4mm output. Of course, if I decide to buy a Plus Sound cable, I’ll order it as a 2.5mm to 4.4mm version.
jwbrent

Hey thank you for the kind words in your response.
I’ve enjoyed reading your posts across Head-Fi but didn’t have anything I could add so apologies this is the first time we are connecting!

50hrs was just when I started doing serious listening, based on other C9 users feedback and Andy Kong’s recommendations on this thread.
Quite a bit more hours than this on the C9. I’ve purchased an extra battery tray and replaced the Sony 3000 mah batteries with Orbtronic 3500 mah 18650’s in both trays to get a little more run time as Class A /tube timbre has the shortest run time (been getting between 5.5-6.5 hours)
I was burning in another 4.4mm device for a friend so was able to get the additional interconnects burned in before doing the head to head testing on the C9. (So the head to head listening I tried to equalize the variables as much as possible as the C9 just gives you so many options to play with!)
Sorry just a long winded way of saying going north of 100-125 hours on the C9 you’l still hear changes, but as you get near 150-160 hours it seemed to level out, both cables and amp.

Yes being in CA, it is just so easy to work with Christian at PlusSound. He’s really easy to work with and highly recommended with you being also a CA resident.
Damn Covid has messed with logistics so much I’ve had items get bogged down in shipping from outside and even inside the US. But have to say Eric at Eletech seems to have his logistics working despite Covid. Really was thinking of having a cable made by Satin Audio, but Covid shut them down for I think over a month which shut that idea down.
But back to PlusSound, great cables, really sound advice from Christian, solid builds, lots of choice in cable types and connector options, I’ve really enjoyed getting and using cables from them, and have seen really good impressions from the pro reviewers. Doing a 2.5mm to 4.4mm for them would not be a problem, but have you considered one of the adapters from Effect Audio, PW or even DD-Hifi? On AK daps, they all use the 3.5mm port to ground and convert 2.5 to 4.4, and there has been much written on Head-fi with users saying they can be fairly transparent. Only mention as so many (even AK in their newer releases) have moved their balanced connections to 4.4mm and could force you to reterminate the cable later.
Yes the C9 can do the conversion of single ended to balanced and visa versa but I thought there was a sonic hit for my ears. Might be OK for some, just not for me, rather go balanced natively.

And your question of why use the Lotoo PAW 6000 for volume over the C9’s really nice digital volume control?
I guess for me I think I hear a little difference for the positive using the C9 in pure amp mode vs letting it be pre amp/amp, as I really do like the Lotoo house sound and it really comes through when the C9 is used as amp only.
But the icing on the cake for me using the DAP for volume control as you have to use it’s screen to mange what is playing that it is just much more intuitive to also control the volume from the same device.

Sorry for the long reply but hope it all helps, and I really think you will not be disappointed when you do pull the trigger on the C9.

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #4,961 of 6,212
jwbrent

Hey thank you for the kind words in your response.
I’ve enjoyed reading your posts across Head-Fi but didn’t have anything I could add so apologies this is the first time we are connecting!

50hrs was just when I started doing serious listening, based on other C9 users feedback and Andy Kong’s recommendations on this thread.
Quite a bit more hours than this on the C9. I’ve purchased an extra battery tray and replaced the Sony 3000 mah batteries with Orbtronic 3500 mah 18650’s in both trays to get a little more run time as Class A /tube timbre has the shortest run time (been getting between 5.5-6.5 hours)
I was burning in another 4.4mm device for a friend so was able to get the additional interconnects burned in before doing the head to head testing on the C9. (So the head to head listening I tried to equalize the variables as much as possible as the C9 just gives you so many options to play with!)
Sorry just a long winded way of saying going north of 100-125 hours on the C9 you’l still hear changes, but as you get near 150-160 hours it seemed to level out, both cables and amp.

Yes being in CA, it is just so easy to work with Christian at PlusSound. He’s really easy to work with and highly recommended with you being also a CA resident.
Damn Covid has messed with logistics so much I’ve had items get bogged down in shipping from outside and even inside the US. But have to say Eric at Eletech seems to have his logistics working despite Covid. Really was thinking of having a cable made by Satin Audio, but Covid shut them down for I think over a month which shut that idea down.
But back to PlusSound, great cables, really sound advice from Christian, solid builds, lots of choice in cable types and connector options, I’ve really enjoyed getting and using cables from them, and have seen really good impressions from the pro reviewers. Doing a 2.5mm to 4.4mm for them would not be a problem, but have you considered one of the adapters from Effect Audio, PW or even DD-Hifi? On AK daps, they all use the 3.5mm port to ground and convert 2.5 to 4.4, and there has been much written on Head-fi with users saying they can be fairly transparent. Only mention as so many (even AK in their newer releases) have moved their balanced connections to 4.4mm and could force you to reterminate the cable later.
Yes the C9 can do the conversion of single ended to balanced and visa versa but I thought there was a sonic hit for my ears. Might be OK for some, just not for me, rather go balanced natively.

And your question of why use the Lotoo PAW 6000 for volume over the C9’s really nice digital volume control?
I guess for me I think I hear a little difference for the positive using the C9 in pure amp mode vs letting it be pre amp/amp, as I really do like the Lotoo house sound and it really comes through when the C9 is used as amp only.
But the icing on the cake for me using the DAP for volume control as you have to use it’s screen to mange what is playing that it is just much more intuitive to also control the volume from the same device.

Sorry for the long reply but hope it all helps, and I really think you will not be disappointed when you do pull the trigger on the C9.

Thank you for your very nice reply, good to meet you!

Did I miss you can’t connect to power and charge the batteries at the same time? Yeah, I figured a couple hundred hours to seal the deal.

Thank you for recommending Christian, he certainly sounds like the type of person I like to do business with. And I’m glad you like the quality, both sound and build, since I’m a huge fan of nicely built audio gear.

I want to replace the SA700 with a player that has a 4.4mm jack as well as being a step up in overall performance. In addition, the SA700 has a bumped up midrange which I have to eq for, so I’d prefer a dap that has a warmer tone. I really like the Lotoo PAW S1, it completely changed my thinking on how affordable great sound can be. My only pause with the Lotoo daps is that they use only one dac. I find that odd, especially with the LPGT.

Anyway, nice chatting, and I’ll see you around on the threads … ✌️

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #4,962 of 6,212
Thank you for your very nice reply, good to meet you!

Did I miss you can’t connect to power and charge the batteries at the same time? Yeah, I figured a couple hundred hours to seal the deal.

Thank you for recommending Christian, he certainly sounds like the type of person I like to do business with. And I’m glad you like the quality, both sound and build, since I’m a huge fan of nicely built audio gear.

I want to replace the SA700 with a player that has a 4.4mm jack as well as being a step up in overall performance. In addition, the SA700 has a bumped up midrange which I have to eq for, so I’d prefer a dap that has a warmer tone. I really like the Lotoo PAW S1, it completely changed my thinking on how affordable great sound can be. My only pause with the Lotoo daps is that they use only one dac. I find that odd, especially with the LPGT.

Anyway, nice chatting, and I’ll see you around on the threads … ✌️
Jwbrent

Charging.
Yup if you look back through this thread Andy Kong has stated specifics as to charging
1) don’t charge your source and the C9 from the same charger or device, ie use a laptop that is charging to charge the C9. A Head-Fier burned up his laptops audio section doing this. Another may have fried their DAP by using a single charger that had 2 usb outs and charged both from this.
2) He did not recommend charging and playing at the same time but if you must, he had specifics to follow.
That info was pretty early in this thread. Hope this helps

As to the Lotoo house sound
I just sold my PAW S1 to get the new PAW S2 that will have line out support allowing me a quick way to use a phone, an iPad or laptop with the C9.
As to a single DAC, it’s how Lotoo implements it circuitry that others including reviewers like Twister6 and Deezle177 have mentioned it’s not the number of DACs but how they are implemented and integrated that makes the difference.
I’ll have to agree in that the PAW6K, PAW Touch Gold, and even the S1/S2 that I’ve all listened to sound smoother and better than other dual DAC DAP I’ve owned or listened to, to this point.
Do if you can take a listen, as if your happy with the S1’s sound the PAW 6000 and the LGPT will surprise you.

Anyways now I’m preaching so will stop here as everyone has that sound signature they are chasing. I’ve found mine to date, but always open to listening to see if that changes.
Hope you find that sound your chasing!

See you around!

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #4,963 of 6,212
Jwbrent

Charging.
Yup if you look back through this thread Andy Kong has stated specifics as to charging
1) don’t charge your source and the C9 from the same charger or device, ie use a laptop that is charging to charge the C9. A Head-Fier burned up his laptops Audio section doing this. Another may have fried their DAp by using a single charger that had 2 usb outs and charged both from this.
2) He did not recommend charging and playing at the same time but if you must, he had specifics to follow.
That info was pretty early in this thread. Hope this helps

As to the Lotoo house sound
I just sold my PAW S1 to get the new PAW S2 that will have line out support allowing me a quick way to use a phone, an iPad or laptop with the C9.
As to a single DAC, it’s how Lotoo implements it circuitry that others including reviewers like Twister6 and Deezle177 have mentioned it’s not the number of DACs but how they are implemented and integrated that makes the difference.
I’ll have to agree in that the PAW6K, PAW Touch Gold, IE even the S1/S2 that I’ve all listened to sound smoother and better than other dual DAC DAP I’ve owned or listened to, to this point.
Do if you can take a listen, as if your happy with the S1’s sound the PAW 6000 and the LGPT will surprise you.

Anyways now I’m preaching so will stop here as everyone has that sound signature they are chasing. I’ve found mine to date, but always open to listening to see if that changes.
Hope you find that sound your chasing!

See you around!

Thank you for the warning about charging. ✌️

Yes, I understand the DAC implementation has a large influence on sound, I suppose when I say odd, it’s just I’ve been trained by my past experience that separate dacs for each channel was best for better s/n ratio, especially for balanced circuits. But no matter, the proof is in the pudding as some would say.

Thanks again for your comments. 😁

Oct 17, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #4,964 of 6,212
or, get the upcoming N8ii flagship DAP which going to have dual NuTube, similar to C9. Instead of carrying 3 separate devices, source, usb dac, portable amp, you can carry just one DAP.

Will it Stream?

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #4,965 of 6,212
Can you control your DX300 with HiByLink on y our iphone? I was under the impression that HiByLink only compatible wiht HiBy based soluton.
I did not try HibyLink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back