Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #4,861 of 6,212
The joy continues my friend. Just now I have N6ii-Ti so it's easier to carry around. :L3000:
Haha, I see some cases when efficiency win.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #4,862 of 6,212
5A387038-9875-498F-8487-596CAFF0C728.jpeg
Bedroom stack. Rocking the lotoo paw6k-> C9 -> AT adx5000

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #4,865 of 6,212
Hi!

Can C9 batteries be bypassed while plugged in with the power cable? How does that work? Is it bad to keep it plugged in 24/7?
Cannot be bypassed. Can be left plugged in I guess. I don't know anyone who has said otherwise anyway. But hey, I never unplug my laptop and it's battery seems just fine. I actually left it unplugged yesterday and it lasted until late today.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #4,866 of 6,212
Hi!

Can C9 batteries be bypassed while plugged in with the power cable? How does that work? Is it bad to keep it plugged in 24/7?

The C9 batteries cannot be bypassed, it is always active when you connect the C9 to a charger, and you cannot wire a power cord to the circuit bypassing the battery module.

You cannot plug in the C9 24/7, the protection mechanism of 18650 lithnium battery will power off automatically and enter sleep mode to prevent overcharge. Be reminded that you must not charge the C9 and the signal source (connected DAP in most cases) at the same time. For more detail, please read our explanation on C9's 18650 power protection feature in HERE and HERE.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 3, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #4,869 of 6,212
Well I just received the Cayin C9 today. Just in time for my vacation. Paired it with the Chord Mojo, iPad Pro and Diana V2. It was a very good pairing. I think this is going to be a great portable setup when away and vacationing.

I have to order the 4.4 balanced adapter for my Diana V2s to really test this baby out. But so far so good.

Sep 3, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #4,870 of 6,212
Hi!

I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm curious can C9 compete with desktop amps in the 1k-2k range?

I just ordered one and very excited to have something portable for my nomadic job :)
Planning on pairing it with Fiio M15, SMSL M400 dac and might even try my Fiio btr5 haha

Also have a ZMF VC and HE1000V2 on the way to potentially replace my Empyrean and D8000 pro. Curious to see how well the C9 will power the HE1000V2, I'm sure it will do a great job with 2600mw 🤯

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #4,871 of 6,212
I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm curious can C9 compete with desktop amps in the 1k-2k range?
Well, to me, the C9 sounds better than the Cayin iHA-6 and performs at a similar level to the Headamp GSX-Mini. It also pretty much blows every other portable DAC/Amp I've used till date (including WooAudio WA11 Topaz the Chord Hugo 2). I will share more such comparisons in my full review which shall be published later in the day.

Sep 4, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #4,872 of 6,212
Hi!

I just ordered one and very excited to have something portable for my nomadic job :)
Planning on pairing it with Fiio M15, SMSL M400 dac and might even try my Fiio btr5 haha

Also have a ZMF VC and HE1000V2 on the way to potentially replace my Empyrean and D8000 pro. Curious to see how well the C9 will power the HE1000V2, I'm sure it will do a great job with 2600mw 🤯
I'm currently using my C9 as an amp for my Chord Qutest, and it's not too far from the LTA MZ2, which is high praise. I've said it before, but if I only had the C9 as a "desktop amp" (in a hypothetical world where it acted as a desktop amp), then I'd be happy.

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #4,873 of 6,212
I finished my review of the Cayin C9, and it is pretty much one of the, if not the best portable/transportable amp out there. It plays along with the big boys like Headamp GSX Mini and the ifi Pro iCAN (in terms of absolute sound quality), and the only amps that I found better than the C9 for headphones are desk ones like Cayin HA-6A and the likes of Accuphase E-380 (that's beyond overkill).

However, the C9 is primarily meant for IEMs and not-so-inefficient headphones. Taking that into account, it becomes pretty much the endgame for me. Even TOTL DAPs that otherwise have excellent sonic ability gets a boost in dynamism and transparency when used in conjunction with the C9. The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch, the A&K SE200, the Sony WM1Z - they all get improve noticeably.

Single dynamic driver IEMs like Dunu Zen/Final A8000 and EST hybrids like UM MEST are the ones that got the largest boost in performance. So if you own IEMs like those and want every last bit of performance out of them: Cayin C9 deserves an audition.

The best praise I can heap upon the Cayin C9 is that I looked forward to listening to it every single day during the review period. Very few gears evoke such feelings, and the Cayin C9 is one of those rarities.

The full review can be read here, and I shall post it on head-fi shortly.

IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_1077.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,875 of 6,212
I finished my review of the Cayin C9, and it is pretty much one of the, if not the best portable/transportable amp out there. It plays along with the big boys like Headamp GSX Mini and the ifi Pro iCAN (in terms of absolute sound quality), and the only amps that I found better than the C9 for headphones are desk ones like Cayin HA-6 and the likes of Accuphase E-380 (that's beyond overkill).

However, the C9 is primarily meant for IEMs and not-so-inefficient headphones. Taking that into account, it becomes pretty much the endgame for me. Even TOTL DAPs that otherwise have excellent sonic ability gets a boost in dynamism and transparency when used in conjunction with the C9. The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch, the A&K SE200, the Sony WM1Z - they all get improve noticeably.

Single dynamic driver IEMs like Dunu Zen/Final A8000 and EST hybrids like UM MEST are the ones that got the largest boost in performance. So if you own IEMs like those and want every last bit of performance out of them: Cayin C9 deserves an audition.

The best praise I can heap upon the Cayin C9 is that I looked forward to listening to it every single day during the review period. Very few gears evoke such feelings, and the Cayin C9 is one of those rarities.

The full review can be read here, and I shall post it on head-fi shortly.

Thank you very much for your raving review on C9, this is a very interesting review, When the reviewer said he was looked forward to listening to it every single day during the review period and plan on getting one down the road, that's the best endorsement of our product already.

On your sound analysis section, you have focused on the Solid State timbre of the C9. That is something I have been looking forward to. Majority of the reviews are focused on the Nutube timbre, we have always want to add a few review that focused on the Solid State timbre of C9 to balance thing out. We have put in a lot of effort to improve the solid state timbre when almost all reviews have discard the N8 solid state single end option completely.

Quick suggestion, you have mentioned HA-6 in the beginning of the review, with the i missing, since we have iHA-6 and HA-6A in our line up, this can be a bit ambitious to readers.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back