Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #4,876 of 6,216
Majority of the reviews are focused on the Nutube timbre, we have always want to add a few review that focused on the Solid State timbre of C9 to balance thing out. We have put in a lot of effort to improve the solid state timbre when almost all reviews have discard the N8 solid state single end option completely.
I guess for a lot of people the novelty of tubes in a miniature form-factor makes the solid state mode seem less interesting, and that's understandable. However, I was so smitten by the class-A solid state timbre that I kept missing the transparency in other modes.
Quick suggestion, you have mentioned HA-6 in the beginning of the review, with the i missing, since we have iHA-6 and HA-6A in our line up, this can be a bit ambitious to readers.
Yes, it would be the HA-6A, forgot to put the A at the end. I went to audition one recently and that is pretty much one of the desktop endgame amps I've tried so far (the other being Accuphase E380). I'd put the HA-6A over the likes of PrimaLuna Evo 400 and the Passlabs HPA-1, and they are great amps in their own right. These are products of entirely different class, price category, and size/power demand but they are the only ones I could think of as truly an upgrade over the C9, which speaks volumes.

The comparison against iHA-6 is already in the review, I have one and it was very interesting to A/B them on the course of the review.

Sep 6, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #4,877 of 6,216
I finished my review of the Cayin C9, and it is pretty much one of the, if not the best portable/transportable amp out there. It plays along with the big boys like Headamp GSX Mini and the ifi Pro iCAN (in terms of absolute sound quality), and the only amps that I found better than the C9 for headphones are desk ones like Cayin HA-6A and the likes of Accuphase E-380 (that's beyond overkill).

However, the C9 is primarily meant for IEMs and not-so-inefficient headphones. Taking that into account, it becomes pretty much the endgame for me. Even TOTL DAPs that otherwise have excellent sonic ability gets a boost in dynamism and transparency when used in conjunction with the C9. The Lotoo PAW Gold Touch, the A&K SE200, the Sony WM1Z - they all get improve noticeably.

Single dynamic driver IEMs like Dunu Zen/Final A8000 and EST hybrids like UM MEST are the ones that got the largest boost in performance. So if you own IEMs like those and want every last bit of performance out of them: Cayin C9 deserves an audition.

The best praise I can heap upon the Cayin C9 is that I looked forward to listening to it every single day during the review period. Very few gears evoke such feelings, and the Cayin C9 is one of those rarities.

The full review can be read here, and I shall post it on head-fi shortly.

IMG_0965.jpgIMG_1077.jpg

Lovely read, and thanks for some words about one of our own as well :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 9, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #4,880 of 6,216
Hi!

Has anyone paired the HE1000V2 with Cayin C9? Id like to know if they pair well and if it's enough power :)
I recently compared the HE1000V2 with the HE1000SE again at my dealer with my new audio-chain.
And in contrast to the last time, without the C9, this time I liked the V2 better than the SE - so yes, “in my opinion” the C9 has enough power for the V2.

New test - audio-chain: SACDs - Cayin N8 - Cayin C9 - 4.4mm Pentaconn-plug cable - V2 and SE
Test old - audio-chain: SACDs - Questyle QPM - 4.4mm Pentaconn-plug cable - V2 and SE

Back then, I decided on the Utopia after I was allowed to test other high-end headphones at home over a longer period of time. The Utopia is “for me” the best “DAP” headphone.

And now I was amazed how well the C9 can drive the V2 :)

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #4,884 of 6,216
Desktop double stacking

IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #4,885 of 6,216
The Meze Elite pair very well with the C9 btw: deeper bass, lots of detail.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #4,886 of 6,216
If anyone here is looking for the C9 Premium quality Interconnect cables. I have mine for sale . I built these for the best experiences with Cayin C9, but I no longer have it, and so they just lay around. I rather free up some funds even at losses to invest in other experiments

Also listing up is Cayin A02 as seen in my picture

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #4,887 of 6,216
I want to draw your attention to two new "potential" sources of Cayin C9.

HiBy RS6

A lot of users feel regret that Cayin R01 didn't provide a line out option, making it less ideal when pair with C9. The HiBy RS6 might be an alternative that fill this need perfectly. For those who want to check out streaming ready R2R source with C9, you should put HiBy RS6 into your audition list.

1631352891481.png
1631352860123.png

Lotoo PSW S2

Correct if I am wrong, this is the first USB/DAC dongle that offer single-ended and balanced line out. For users want to use their mobile phone as streaming source to C9, the S2 will be a convenient and cost-effective tool to do that.

1631352779535.png

I didn't have the chance to check them out with C9 so I didn't know more than you do. I have provided HeadFi link to both, if you are have any question regarding the DAC and line out capability of these devices, you can drop you question at the related HeadFi thread.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #4,888 of 6,216

HiBy RS6

A lot of users feel regret that Cayin R01 didn't provide a line out option, making it less ideal when pair with C9. The HiBy RS6 might be an alternative that fill this need perfectly. For those who want to check out streaming ready R2R source with C9, you should put HiBy RS6 into your audition list.

1631352891481.png
1631352860123.png

Lotoo PSW S2

Correct if I am wrong, this is the first USB/DAC dongle that offer single-ended and balanced line out. For users want to use their mobile phone as streaming source to C9, the S2 will be a convenient and cost-effective tool to do that.

1631352779535.png

I didn't have the chance to check them out with C9 so I didn't know more than you do. I have provided HeadFi link to both, if you are have any question regarding the DAC and line out capability of these devices, you can drop you question at the related HeadFi thread.

Now, this is interesting. I didn't see LO spec in the initial S2 announcement, or maybe I missed it. I will ping Lotoo to get more details, good catch! But either way, looking forward to test both sources with C9 very soon!

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #4,889 of 6,216
Hi!

Has anyone paired the HE1000V2 with Cayin C9? Id like to know if they pair well and if it's enough power :)
I was just listening to Cayin C9 with HE1000SE and HE1000v1 today. Plenty of power to drive them.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #4,890 of 6,216

HiBy RS6

Lotoo PSW S2

Why the 3.5 LO is quite same as 4.4?

Wondering about comparison with R8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back