Cayin C9: Dual Nutube, Fully Balanced Class A/AB Portable HeadAmp
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #4,561 of 6,212
Its not a problem unless one wants to create a problem inorder to have an excuse to buy something new. I heard great sounds coming from double amping.
For sure, me too (Hugo2 and C9 not least), but I was paraphrasing from the horse's mouth (@Andykong) that the C9 isn't really suited for R01. I'll find out soon enough, though.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,562 of 6,212
From what I gather, C9 and R01 are not designed or recommended to pair together because of the lack of a LO and the potential for noise.

Any more impressions of the R01 on its own? (I'm expecting mine next week...)
I'd say R01 is among the most interesting DAP I've tried recently. It is the first DAP I tried that sounds sufficiently distinct from my daily driver SP2k, (Although I've never tried LP stuff... heard those are good too, just never found them as they're not carried by shop I frequent in Singapore).

R01 strength is in very tight and impactful bass, clear and transparent, slightly forward mid. I'd think it will do really well for bright leaning iem (most of mines are as I prefer brighter sounds), yet I think bass head will like them because they should have very good deep impact on low end as well. (I did try LX with R01 on that sitting, but it was my first time ever trying LX, and bass is just everywhere, I prefer Odin, so I ended up getting LXSE instead)

I'd say R01 lose out to SP2k where SP2k is strong (detail, stage) but it excels in very different way that is worthy of being alternative/second favorite source. My second daily driver is Cayin N8, for the tube sound, but since I got C9, N8 has been delegate to alternate option on days I want something different, R01 might take N8's place on days I don't plan on taking C9 out with me for ultimate portable option when I want different sound from SP2k.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #4,563 of 6,212
I'd say R01 is among the most interesting DAP I've tried recently. It is the first DAP I tried that sounds sufficiently distinct from my daily driver SP2k, (Although I've never tried LP stuff... heard those are good too, just never found them as they're not carried by shop I frequent in Singapore).

R01 strength is in very tight and impactful bass, clear and transparent, slightly forward mid. I'd think it will do really well for bright leaning iem (most of mines are as I prefer brighter sounds), yet I think bass head will like them because they should have very good deep impact on low end as well. (I did try LX with R01 on that sitting, but it was my first time ever trying LX, and bass is just everywhere, I prefer Odin, so I ended up getting LXSE instead)

I'd say R01 lose out to SP2k where SP2k is strong (detail, stage) but it excels in very different way that is worthy of being alternative/second favorite source. My second daily driver is Cayin N8, for the tube sound, but since I got C9, N8 has been delegate to alternate option on days I want something different, R01 might take N8's place on days I don't plan on taking C9 out with me for ultimate portable option when I want different sound from SP2k.
Excellent, thanks for detailed impressions.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #4,565 of 6,212
..., bartok would have taken it to the next level. I didn't pull the trigger though because of the price, for something that expensive I have to think a bit more, hoping bartok comes back later for me to try some more.

You should try the Rossini.

I'd wait a little if you have your heart set on the vivaldi though.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #4,566 of 6,212
Yup, already put in my order, they say they will have it Tuesday, so waiting for that now. Brought Custom Odin and LXSE home instead while waiting.
My preorder is also in place. Hoping to receive next week. As you say, it sounds as though the R01 is sufficiently distinctive enough to be a good alternative.

Jun 21, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #4,569 of 6,212
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #4,570 of 6,212
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #4,571 of 6,212
Silly question but double-checking, this is the stock battery module but now available to purchase separately?
I believe so. Note that this does NOT come with batteries.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,572 of 6,212
BTW, anyone interested in getting new batteries should consider this, as has been recommended several times here. I have used them for a couple of days now. Longer battery life and even cleaner sound.

https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion
3A4E79A7-699C-4D5B-B5AA-B5924A32A6C7.png

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #4,573 of 6,212
Jun 21, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #4,574 of 6,212
BTW, anyone interested in getting new batteries should consider this, as has been recommended several times here. I have used them for a couple of days now. Longer battery life and even cleaner sound.

https://www.orbtronic.com/3500mah-18650-imr-battery-high-drain-rechargeable-orbtronic-li-ion3A4E79A7-699C-4D5B-B5AA-B5924A32A6C7.png
I picked these up a while back and agree that they do sound cleaner. I threw the 2 sets into the rotation and have been using them more often than the sony. For me the Sony sounded a tad muddy in the low end and almost veiled up top.

Jun 21, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #4,575 of 6,212
I picked these up a while back and agree that they do sound cleaner. I threw the 2 sets into the rotation and have been using them more often than the sony. For me the Sony sounded a tad muddy in the low end and almost veiled up top.
Agree. These orbtronic ones sound calmer to me with better clarity. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back